News: Mid-East Events watch

Discussion in 'International News' started by Mr. Conspiracy, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In my opinion, a nuclear Iran could actually lead to NORMALIZATION of relations with the United States. The sanctions would be lifted since ostensibly the sanctions were placed to prevent Iran from becoming a nuclear power. Once Iran is a nuclear power, it becomes pointless to have those sanctions. And nuclear weapons prevents wars....it doesn't cause them. How many wars have there have been between US and Soviet Union? US and China? India and Pakistan frequently had wars against each other but once both went nuclear, they were careful not to escalate.

As far as Pakistan, yes, that is the primary threat. It's a next door neighbor. It's primary ally in the Middle East is Iran's biggest rival. And Pakistan has also funded terror groups that have attacked Iranians. This is not to excuse the funding of terror organizations by the IRI but two wrongs don't make a right. The shah had stated that he would go nuclear if Pakistan went nuclear. And the stability of Pakistan is questionable. In addition, Russia, has traditionally warred with Iran as well.

However, I disagree with you that the W administration never considered invading Iran. I think if Iraq went well, Iran would probably have been next. Didn't Dick Cheney say something like "real men go to Tehran" or something?

2. valanjak

valanjak BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Great news today , swift has announced it will no longer handle transactions with Iranian banks which is basically the nail in the coffin for Iranian business . Going forward it will be imposible for Iranian banks to transfer funds in and out of Iran and do business . The UAE will also no longer do transactions involving the rial . This is great news for all Iranians and I think more steps like this will defiantly help resolve this standoff . I believe if these economic pressures don't work then the next step should be a complete air and land embargo of Iran to completely cut off Iran from the rest of the world . I believe the international community should really consider this kind of embargo sooner than later and heavily enforce it so that not even one plane or boat comes in and out of Iran . Even if they have to prevent the Iranian football team from traveling under this embargo I'll say let it be simply because actions like this will make the people consider that the price for obtaining nuclear weapons is not worth it . If these turban headed mullahs obtain the nuclear bomb then that will basically guarantee longevity of the regime which means Islamic Republuc will stay for ever . The time is now to stop these mullahs from obtaining their dream weapon.

3. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't think it would normalize relations. It certainly hasn't improved NK's situation any. And I think that is the most apt comparison to how things will play out with iran if they go nuclear. And while it is true that the US and USSR did not directly engage each other due to WMD, it prompted multiple proxy wars, and the events of 53 are directly related to the Cold War,and IMO caused a multitude of problems worldwide that we are still feeling the effects of. The US and China is interesting as we did fight against each other in North Korea, but I am not sure as to the timeframe when China got the bomb. However China was also a deterrant to the USSR for the US as China and USSR did not get along and we were able to forge a working relationship. And currently I don't believe that there is a threat for a US v China war of any type other then perhaps a trade war.

India and pakistan not that long ago almost went to war again, I recall India draping over the Taj Mahal. And frankly I can see them going to war with each other again, nukes or not.

As I said, pakistan is the one country that I think Iran could make a case for having nukes as a MAD against. But again I have problems understanding a case where iran can use nukes as a deterrant to the US or Israel.

Well W's admininstration said so many dumb ass things that I honestly don't recall. And I agree that if iraq had gone as expected they may have pushed towards iran. hell the current GOP hopefuls lend credence to that with their comments towards iran. But the thing about iraq is that from a military standpoint it went very well. As in 91 the iraqis posed no real threat to our forces. It was the idiotic idea of occupying and rebuilding iraq that went bad. And I don't see, at least I hope I don't see, that mistake being attempted again anytime soon. While I have no doubts as to what the US would do to iran in military terms, the idea of an invasion and any sort of occupation should not be considered because it would be far more complicated and costly not only in terms of money, but in human lives and damage. Which should be more important but we all know that isn't the case.

4. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you are saying, but if a full embargo takes place how will that help rid the country of the mullahs? I guess I don't know the extent of those against the mullahs inside iran, are they in any positon to force a change? If they are under a full embargo, that will make it even harder for the people in iran to get essentials such as food and clothes, won't it make it that much harder to force a change as well?

It is obvious to me that the mullahs are not going to give up power no matter what, and I just don't see how this pressure is going to change matters.

5. valanjak

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Did North Korea obtaining the bomb help them normalize relationship with the US? I think your not looking at this situation objectively . For one , the mullahs thrive on hating the US so they will never want to normalize relationship . And the US will never lift any sanctions against Iran if Iran obtains the bomb , in fact they will probably put more sanctions on Iran . The idea of normalizing relations with a Islamic terrorist regime that has a nuclear bomb and took Americans hostage in its history won't go well in Washington .

6. valanjak

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    The people won't just sit idle and let their country be ruined. If there are more economic pressures on Iran where the situation becomes extremely bad then at some point the people will realize that this isn't the correct path and will eventually rise up against the regime . Before the 1979 Islamic revolution people never thought shah would give up his power but once shit hits the fan these mullahs will get on a plane and get out of the country and to do that we just need to put more economic hardship on Iran .

7. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is what I am wondering, how bad does it have to get and how will the people rise up? I don't think it will be bloodless by any stretch, especially given how the iri have so many thugs running around in country.

I hope that what you say would happen, so long as that is what iranians want, but it also seems to me that it would devolve into a Civil War, one that would make the bloodshed going on in syria look small.

8. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think supporting Iran's nuclear ambitions necessarily makes someone a supporter of the mullahs or the current regime.
    Iran's nuclear ambitions go beyond the mullahs, and seem to have national support - even with the threat and reality of Western sanctions. I don't think you can assume that if you are successful in forcing regime change and go by what the Iranian people want, that you'll wind up with a state/new government without nuclear ambitions.
    the Iranian people (at least a majority of them) seem to be fine with the mullahs representing them (or they would have overthrown them by now). so we can assume that Iran's current government represents the Iranian people's nuclear ambitions.
    but beyond that, whatever happened to national self-determination?
    has Iran threatened to invade another nation? - realistically that is, not empty rhetoric.
    is Iran a threat to global peace and security? is Iran really a rogue state, or is it just that their ambitions don't line up with those of the US and the West? is Iran not allowed to pursue its own course in the world, and develop whatever weapons it sees fit to defend itself with? it's not like as soon as Iran develops nuclear weapons, they will set out on a course to destroy other nations with nuclear weapons - I don't think any reasonable person will argue that. indeed, nuclear weapons are by their very nature defensive (the US is the only state to have used nuclear weapons in an offensive capacity). so if Iran feels like it needs nuclear weapons to make it immune from invasion by other countries, who are we to tell them no? whatever happened to the idea of national self-determination? what nuclear weapons will allow Iran to do is to assert itself regionally (both diplomatically, and perhaps even militarily - though only through conventional weapons), without fear of the US invading it or otherwise trying to force regime change. and that is what's really at stake here. it's not the fear that Iran will actually use nuclear weapons. it's that the US doesn't want a regional rival in the Middle East, that pursues a different course than the US. that's what this is all about. forget all the bombastic talk on both sides.

9. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    consider this, all the nuclear-armed rogue states - the Soviet Union, communist China, North Korea, Pakistan, etc. - have any of them actually used nuclear weapons offensively? have any of them used nuclear weapons in a war? no! but you know who has? that's right - the supposedly responsible, democratic republic called USA!

10. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know my opinion is not conventional wisdom.

The nukes isn't so much a deterrent against US or Israel. I would venture that the nukes would be a deterrent against a Saudi Arabia in the future. Saudi Arabia has a more modern air force and military. Saudi Arabia would also have a lot of Arab states behind it. This would increase the need for a nuclear weapon. Most Iranians think that if Iran were a nuclear power, Saddam wouldn't have invaded Iran in 1980 and we could have a similar issue with Saudi Arabia in the future.

If the goal is regime change, then the only way to do that is to put over 150,000 troops on the ground and occupy and contain Iran similar to the way the United States dealt with Iraq. It may be a shorter occupation or it may be a longer occupation. It's easy to say that the United States just wants to attack the nuke facilities and go home but it's much easier to start a conflict than to end it. Just look at Afghanistan.

I do agree that it would be far more complicated and costly than Iraq.

11. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    +repped

12. valanjak

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Things have gotten extremely bad in Iran so we are just starting to see the fruits of our labor . The currency is basically now worth less than the paper it's printed on . Iranian businesses are basically cut if from the outside world and the prices of basic goods are going up daily so I believe we are headed towards the right path and sooner than later we will see some major crises within the country that will tremendously weaken the regime which will eventually cause it to collapse . Like I said earlier the people will suffer because of the sanctions but they will suffer even more in the ling run under this regime so we need to keep putting more economic sanctions on Iran so that not even one penny goes and out of the country and if the regime still stands then we need to put a complete air and sea embargo so that not even one soul gets in and out of the country even if that includes athletes like the Iranian football tea

13. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    nuclear weapons are a defensive weapon.. not attacking. they highlight human stupidity. they are a big example of why humans cant understand that 1+1=2. 'you dont build weapon i dont build weapon.' i just did 1+1 and it equaled 2. humans/current world: 'we go through all the trouble to build a weapon, and you go through all the trouble to build a weapon, then, none of us attack. yay retard cream for all.':confused: really counterproductive and illogical. but humans have always been stupid. lawl. its the same thing with anything else in life. schooling? 90% of bachelors degrees are now basically the 2nd high school diploma. they provide no benefit and costs thousands of dollars a year, but if you dont do it, your resume will be skipped. its like gas prices. it goes up 10 cents a liter based on 'speculation' but people still go and willingly pay for it. its like any stupid law... people conform like donkeys. all because they cant say 'wtf 1+1=2 its over u in im in its over factually and logically as of today.' before this difficult because people couldnt communicate fast/effectively enough. but today it is possible in seconds, worldwide. we saw a country (tunisia) change in no time because of the internet. yet f.ucktardedly, this didnt happen worldwide yet, because people are too busy saying 'i accept children dying in syria, because instead of saying 1+1=2 and being moral, i will sit on my ass and type an essay on a forum in order to look intellectual, while pretending to know i know f.uck all about the syrian government or american government or politics in general, and even if i did know, it would not matter at all because bigsoccer doesnt form the policies of the world.:rolleyes:

the only argument you can have against me is 'how will the worldwide revolution/transition occur, and how do we know it wont be hijacked.' well f.uck, use your time to think of that and provide solutions, instead of writing essays on what some current corrupt politicians are doing in a worldwide system that cannot be fixed anyway. i am not claiming i know all the answers. there are millions of people smarter than me and we can easily figure this out together. but the gifted people are too busy working for selfish corporations in order to raise their profit. so i shit on their intelligence and knowledge. they are simply selfish and dont deserve any praise. as long as you conform children in syria or wherever will keep dying, and i just factually and logically proved that you are part responsible for it if you dont stop conforming/spreading this message online. this is my last post regarding this.

14. valanjak

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Do you agree with Israel have nuclear weapons if its for defensive purposes? the israelis have come under attack many times by Iranian proxies so they have every right to have the bomb , right?

15. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    i dont agree with anyone having nuclear weapons. israel should not exist in the first place.

16. valanjak

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Here is the article from todays major development to help clean this thread form the trolls.

I hope we hear more news like this because we needs to put more pressure on the regime inside Iran to stop this current path

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17390456?print=true

17. valanjak

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    I really don’t mind the Israelis putting military pressure on Iran , we all know Israel wont be attacking Iran but the threat of attacking Iran certainly expedites putting more pressure on the regime

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57398455/israel-prepares-for-iran-military-option/

18. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    {MOD EDIT - you can't paste things here with no attribution. You are allowed a brief exerpt and then you can provide a link to the rest}

19. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Persian bretheren, let us not bicker amongst ourselves.
    We share a flag of similar color, though at a slightly darker, more noble shade of green, the Hungarian flag is quite an improvement over the Persian flag, though of course, I cannot blame the people of Persia, as living in the desert, that's probably the darkest shade of green they've ever seen. And the red isn't as red as the Hungarian red, come to think of it, as the blood that flows in the veins of Persians has been much bleached by the sun and all that immorality. :D I kid, I kid guys... Carry on!

20. valanjak

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    This regime is the most hypocritical and shameless regime out of all governments in the World. When Farhadi won Iran’s first Oscar this regime boasted about beating the Israelis to win the Oscar but when the director of this outstanding film comes home and the people organize a ceremony to appreciate his achievements the regime prevents it from happening as if they don’t want any happiness for the people of Iran .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...e-permission/2012/03/12/gIQAoPo16R_print.html

21. valanjak

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    lol funny post i would send a rep but I can't . Good to see someone with a sense of humor .

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I repped that one for sure.

And now we're at the 2,000 post threshold where it is appropriate to start a new thread.