Mid-American Conference soccer?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Lab Mouse, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Lab Mouse

Lab Mouse New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Kalamazoo, MI, USA
    I'm a grad student at Western Michigan and I know we have a fairly decent program, but I know squat about the rest of the MAC in soccer, other than the fact that Ball State has only club status in men's soccer ( but has varsity women's) and that Buffalo is actually better at soccer than they are at anything else. I'm actually more of a hockey houligan but I'd like to see what the conference has in soccer too.

Anyone who can help clue me in would be my hero for the day. Thanks.

2. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Only 6 of the MAC football/basketball schools play men's soccer - but Kentucky also plays there until the SEC ever gets a soccer conference going.

In fact, Kentucky was the champion last year, and looks to be a growing program. Western finished 6th last year, at 1-4-1 (5-13-1 overall) - so they are not really that decent, but I'm sure they would appreciate your support.

Akron and Marshall seem to be the other teams to beat. If you go to games this year, give us scouting reports on two top MAC forwards - Byron Chamberlain of Marshall and John Monebrake of Kentucky.

http://mac-sports.ocsn.com/sports/m-soccer/mac-m-soccer-body.html

3. turnaround

turnaround New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    MAC

I concur with Emile, that Kentucky is the top program in the MAC, with Akron a close second. Kentucky has been to three straight NCAA tournaments, and with their recruiting class this year, the Wildcats figure to make some noise in the post season. Assuming they get a bid this year, Kentucky could go far in the tournament. Known as a physical team without a lot of skill in the past, Kentucky now has the skilled athletes to go along with the big and fast guys. UK is a program on the rise, no question.

Akron is also quite good...and both schools play a very demanding schedule this year.

The league overall is improving, but clearly, UK and Akron are a cut above the rest.

4. Lab Mouse

Lab Mouse New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Kalamazoo, MI, USA
    I just checked WMU's schedule...rather weak, actually, with teams like Hillsdale, Oakland, Detroit Mercy, Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne, and UMKC on the schedule. They do have MSU and Northwestern from the Big Ten. Marshall comes to town Sept. 29 and UK on Oct. 25. Akron is an away match.

I thought the Western men's team had done really well in the conference tournament last year...maybe that was the women.