Michelle Branch at MLS Cup Halftime

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tobycharles, Nov 12, 2003.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

oops. I probably shouldn't have made the claim that she is a good guitar player then, as the only thing I go by is how it sounds to my ear. Oh well, she is eye pleasing, I don't mind her music, and she sounds good live (she played the crowbar at Penn State like 3 years ago, both me and my date enjoyed the show), and she writes and plays her own music. Thats all I really ask out of my performers.

Is that appearence fee relativly high or low?

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    how did this guy manage to get a red card within two posts?

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the low end is relatively low for someone with several Grammy nods, but her high end, seems a bit high too. $15K range is pretty big when your low end is $15K.

All I know from my booking days is that people tend to get a good bit for "special performances" because those doing the booking usually don't have a clue what they're doing. Where does Branch live? That could greatly affect the fee, because of travel, etc.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I had no idea who Michelle Branch is, so I went to www.michellebranch.com

I do recognize the songs, I guess I just never knew who sang them. She's definitely got some talent.

The question I have - will she really be at MLS Cup. According to her website:

She's not ending all dates, but she's definitely canceling most of them. No mention of MLS Cup, but then I suspect the one or two songs she'd perform there wouldn't be too risky - plus there's the national exposure to think about.

5. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    A few comments:

1. The NFL does this stuff even in earlier rounds of the playoffs. I remember Sheryl Crow (who, coincidentally, has recorded a duet with Michelle Branch that is seriously good) trying to get the crowd going in Pittsburgh after the Steelers had played an anemic first half. Sad situation for her.

2. I hadn't heard of Paulina Rubio before she appeared at that game, but some folks in the crowd reacted the same way I would if John Lennon and George Harrison rose from the dead and reunited the Beatles.

3. Rap/hip-hop, with very few exceptions, is garbage that is only popular because suburban teens are so desperate to forge an identity that denies their lives of privilege. (See Ben Folds, "Rockin' The Suburbs," for a more eloquent description.)

4. Anyone who says a bad word about Michelle Branch answers to me. She's not my first choice in the CD player, but she has already cranked out several solid songs and has vast potential. Besides, there's something to be said for being the "anti-Britney."

6. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had such a big range because I haven't seen the numbers in over a year, and I suspect her fee has gone up, but by how much I don't know. Just some other singer/songwriters for comparison:

Howie Day ~ $15,000
    John Mayer ~ $30-40,000
    Dave Matthews ~ $60-70,000 (but he's very picky on locations and has been known to turn down twice that fee if he doesn't like the place)

7. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bad grammar = automatic expulsion

8. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So disappointing....I KNOW Coolio was available for much, much less....

9. Colin Eager

Colin Eager New Member

May 14, 2000
    Do any old-timers remember that a Crew fan claimed to have gone out with Michelle Branch a few years back on these boards? I'm wondering if I imagined this . . .

10. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd prefer Weird Al doing his Coolio song.. "Living in an Amish Paradise". :)

11. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Michelle Branch was 14 a few years back.

12. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    I say bring on Bad Religion I think they are from LA.

13. wanderingpress

Apr 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Coritiba FBC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the white stripes woulda been cool

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well played.

15. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do I define irony today? Well, there are people on this board that gush about U-17 players that haven't really produced yet and give the player some slack and chalk it up to environment, coaching, etc.

Yet, as soon as an equivalent age musical entity doesn't appear mature, she gets a bad review. Apparently she is a victim of the 'kick-and-chase' music school.

I say everything European is better. Bring back George Harrison's "I've Got My Mind Set on You" for deep musical stylings.

16. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had any clue wtf you are talking about I'd be able to respond to this post, but I don't, so I can't.

17. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    IIRC, that was a cover song.

Still a good retort.

18. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    You're assuming she'll even be singing.
    LIPSYNCH-orama!

19. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Good one, Beavis. Huh huh huh huh huh.

20. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    2 pages and no one busted into song yet.......

OH BABY YOU......YOU GOT WHAT I NEED......but you say he's just a friend and you say he's just a friend.......

Regardless, Michelle Branch is clearly an A-, B+ musical celibrity. As a result, she is a huge upgrade over previous MLS Cup shows in terms of "star power". Ultimately, I don't watch the halftime show. But some people do. I think. Regardless, the fact that MLS has her performing is a true step up over at the time one hit wonder Aguilera and/or that person last year.

Regardless, it sounds like she is having seriuos throat issues. My guess she Lipsyncs because she has no choice.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So whatever happened to Innosense?

22. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never happened. You hear me? That. Game. Never. F####. Happened. Capice?

BTW, why are you bitching about this : Paulina Rubio, Christina Aguilera, and Michelle Branch. Not a bad trio musically speaking. More talent then Ms. Spears.

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    [​IMG]

24. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry...My humor was a bit obscure. I hope the following clarifies.

If you look at the various topics on this board, there are a lot that are 'pro' such-and-such a young player needs to get to Europe to develop. Or, so-and-so coach of a college team is not good enough for MLS, and we need to bring in a foreign coach. Or, Ellinger can't coach because the U-17 men's team played 'kick-and-chase' out of the back during the recent youth world cup.

Your analysis is probably correct about her guitar-playing capabilities. But, in her duet, it was her singing while Santana was playing and not the other way around. So, I think she has a realistic idea about her abilities. However, you couldn't have turned on a mainstream radio station in the DC metro area without having heard her in the past year. I'm sure she has some air-time on the music tv networks (that is, when they actually decide to play music).

As a mediocre talent, she apparently makes as much per appearance as a top salaried MLS player would get per game.

App. $275,000/16=$17,000

So, should she pack it all in at her young age? I wish I was as mediocre at my job *insert smiley character here*

25. FootieBloke007

FootieBloke007 New Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Chicago
    Journey: "Don't Stop Believing"

That's Rock and Roll!!!

I don't mind Michelle Branch. I find her cute like those other guys do. It's refreshing to see a pop star that does play an instrument, write her own songs, and look good without stooping to Ms. Spears' or Aguilera's level.