Michelle Bachmann: the Other White Meathead

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Norsk Troll, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Well, I think she deserves her own thread for two reasons:

(1) the self-imposed month-long moratorium against commenting on that other female prominent political figure on the right, or as she will likely be called during ths month: "she who shall not be named", and
    (2) there is SO much to talk about!

For instance:

"We also know that the very founders that wrote those documents worked tirelessly until slavery was no more in the United States. I think it is high time that we recognize the contribution of our forbearers who worked tirelessly--men like John Quincy Adams, who would not rest until slavery was extinguished in the country."

Although she doesn't specifically call JQA a founder, the juxtaposition of the two sentences makes that implication for her, even though JQA was only 9 years old when the Declaration was signed, and was still at Harvard during the Constitutional Convention. Oh, and he also got 15 years rest ni the coffin before slavery was extinguished.

"Do you realize it's been 21 generations that America has survived? For 21 [generations], we've passed the torch of liberty from one generation successfully to the next."

Really? 21 generations? Isn't the torch of liberty she's referring to the one that was lit in July, 1776? That would mean she thinks it's been 21 generations in just ~235 years. So do folks in Minnesota really start breeding at age 11?

"It didn't matter the color of their skin, it didn't matter their language, it didn't matter their economic status. Once you got here, we were all the same. Isn't that remarkable?"

Really? the color of their skin didn't matter when black people got here via the hold of a slaver's ship? Irish need not apply? Chinese in the 1800s were treated the same?

What's remarkable is that this person was actually elected to represent sentient beings - can those people be the same people who once elected the great Jesse 'the Governing Body' Ventura?

[​IMG]

6 people repped this.
  2. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bachmann/Towelie 2012!!!

[​IMG]

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If you start doing meth in order to give up crack it sort of defeats the purpose.

4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, think of it as P&CE's very own methadone clinic for those attempting to stop dancing with Mrs. Alaska-based Brownstone.

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    And Al Franken. Gopher from the Love Boat was elected from just southwest of the state, as well. Must be an upper midwest thing.

6. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Yeah, after all - at least Bachmann is currently a government official. We SHOULD be talking about them.

7. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The area Bachmann represents heavily favored Jesse so yes. The district is made up of Evangelical Christians and meth cookers.

8. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    You think the methheads are voting?
    Are there links between the ECs & the crankers?
    Can election-day voter registration be blamed for all this?
    http://www.sos.state.mn.us/index.aspx?page=204

9. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not all of them.

Naw.

Guess my point was to say her district is very religious and also has problems due to meth production, alcoholism, and other drug related problems. The drug problem helps to drive a move to traditional conservative values by those who are clean and for many the EC is the church of choice. It doesn't help any left-leaning or even moderate opponent of hers that parts of the district is known for strong anti-homosexual/immigrant (legal and illegal)/racist sentiments.

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Wasn't there a thread "Michelle Bachmann is batshit crazy" or something like that?

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    When I lived in St. Peter, our representative was a guy who makes Bachmann look like Winston Churchill

And what do you know, Quist made his own run for congress

More on Allen Quist (read "moron Allen Quist").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Quist

quoth Quist:

“Our country is being destroyed. Every generation has had to fight the fight for freedom… Terrorism? Yes. That’s not the big battle,” he said. “The big battle is in D.C. with the radicals. They aren’t liberals. They are radicals. Obama, Pelosi, Walz: They’re not liberals, they’re radicals. They are destroying our country.”​

http://www.citypages.com/1998-06-24/books/the-brilliant-demise-of-allen-quist/

Years ago, when Quist's first wife died while nearly seven months pregnant, Quist had the fetus removed from her body and displayed in an open casket so his family could properly grieve for an unborn child. It was one of a series of revelations from the '94 campaign--another was Quist's assertion that men had a "genetic predisposition" to rule the household--that torpedoed his primary bid after he'd been endorsed at the last GOP convention. It also fueled the notion that he is unelectable in Minnesota.​

I liked living in Minnesota, but it's worth pointing out that Bachmann is not as unique as a lot of Minnesotans would like to think.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh: Quist's wife Julie is Bachmann's District Office Director in MN

Rich Dunn, the chief of staff from the Washington office, told the Minnesota staff Friday that former state Sen. Sean Nienow, who has been Bachmann’s district director, is out and will be replaced by Julie Quist of St. Peter.

Quist has been on the cutting edge of the Minnesota social conservative movement for more than a decade. She was a full partner with her husband Allen Quist in a stunning political accomplishment of 1994, when they defeated Arne Carlson, a sitting Republican governor, for endorsement (although Carlson beat Quist in a primary and was re-elected). The Quists beat Carlson within the GOP base substantially on Carlson’s liberal positions on social issues like abortion and gay rights. In recent years, she has been a leader at EdWatch, a far-right advocacy group on education issues.

Julie Quist and Bachmann are personally and ideologically close and worked together when Bachmann was in the Minnesota Senate and led the charge to kill a state-mandated educational curriculum known as the Profiles of Learning. For Quist and Bachmann, the profiles were a Trojan horse for what they considered a secular humanism agenda. Quist and Bachmann share a passionate opposition to same-sex marriage.​

13. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good thing we are talking about drugs since neither of the ladies' constituencies is known for usage of such substances *

* According to your post in that "other" thread, we 'start' tomorrow, hence why i take the liberty to point out the interesting aspect of your analogy

14. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Errrr...I wrote "start tomorrow" yesterday. :D

16. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
  17. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  18. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. I repped the heck out of this thread title.

19. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Well, I would say the GOP in the state is starting to resemble more of the national party.
    No way a Ramstad or a Arne Carlson gets elected in this day and age.

On the flip, we have Ellison and Betty McCollum as well.

20. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  21. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    So, 3 other gay couples also participated? 8 of the 12 students involved are gay?
    Perhaps Bachmann's constituency is more diverse than she's realized.

22. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  23. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    "most entered with students of the opposite sex. But there were two pairs of boys and another pair of girls besides Shelton and Lindstrom."
    Maybe the other 3 couples just chose not to make such a big deal of it, or openly declare their sexuality. I see that it was 8 of 24 though, not 8 of 12.

24. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nope, you are correct. Even in the vid I did not see any mention of the others. That kind of bothers me that it was just a small byline in there. And they make it seem like they were the only ones to "get support".

Now, one in Champlin could throw a stone into Bachmann's district, but I think Champlin is in the 3rd (Paulson). Or maybe I am just losing it?