Michael Parkhurst to Fulham? - 'The People'

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by johnh00, Nov 4, 2007.

1. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parkhurst to Fulham?

Probably just a tabloid rumor, but I saw this posted over on YA. Parkhurst is being linked with a possible move over to Craven Cottage.

Lee

2. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_method=full&objectID=20059013&siteID=93463-name_page.html

Say it ain't so!

I found this on the YA board (thanks 60611)

My thoughts (cut directly from there)...

Personally, I sure hope this doesn't happen for obvious reasons.

Parky is the glue that hold the Revs defense together. Without him...well, I don't want to think about what life would be without Parky in a revs jersey.

From a soccer standpoint, this would be a dream move for him. Fulham are a good side and Parky would obviously already have some familiar faces in the locker room to make the transition that much better.

On the other hand, Michael's game is all about solid positioning, anticipation, and reading the game, which are obviously great traits to have and what alot of CBs are missing these days, but the guy is actually small for a CB and I'm afraid he might get pushed around a lot in the EPL.

One thing is certain...The New Revolution are not going to let Michael Parkhurst go cheap. He is more important to this team than Dempsey ever was and it will cost any team that wants him a pretty penny to prize him away, I'm sure of that.

3. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I see him going for just under $1m. I always imagined he'd go to a Bolton or Fulham type of team. I don't want it to happen because I know we'll let John go and won't sign any replacements anytime soon.

I'd see it going down like this:

-Parky goes to Fulham for whatever amount of money
    -John's contract isn't renewed
    -Dorman traded to (insert club here) for a defender and a draft pick on draft day
    -We draft three defenders

4. JumboRev

JumboRev Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Toronto
    forgive me for being captain obvious but do we think parky would get a permit? not sure he has enough caps to make the 75% rule and the UK home office has been quite stingy as of late.

5. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Well the transfer window is in January, and the US only have one game scheduled until then (and one in January) so it's possible he could get a few more caps.

6. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parkhurst already has an Irish passport through his parents, or could easily get one. The work permit is a non-issue.

7. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Knowing MLS it will take twelve months to finalize a deal and he'll probably have the requisite number of caps by then!

[edit] oops..forgot about the Irish passport.

However, I always wondered where he would play in a top flight league? He doesn't seem big enough to play in the center and he's not fast enough to play on the outside. Maybe as a holding midfielder, ala Gilberto? They're very similar...rarely foul anyone, make things look easy by reading the game, etc...

8. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    when is his contract up?

9. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Parkhurst to Fulham?

I have trouble believing that a team in the extremely physical EPL would want a center back who's main quality is his lack of physicality. Though maybe they want his brains and smoothness to compliment the clumsy Bocanegra.

10. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How credible is the source? I find it hard to believe that Parkhurst "is all set for a switch" when he's in the middle of the playoffs. I think Fulham has expressed interest in him, and that's about it.

12. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's definitely just a romour mill type of article. Personally, I don't think it'll happen. If the Revs priced Shalrie too high for Celtic, I can only imagine the kind of price tage they will put on Parky.

13. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    On FFF, Nicol said it would take a lot of money to take Parky away from the Revs. Think more in the $2-3 mil range.

14. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parky isn't going anywhere. Hometown boy, I think he's one of those players that wants to make this league distinguished.

15. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Parky is going to cost any team that wants him alot of money. He's just too valuable to the Revs to let go without some extraordinary (read 'obscene') offer.

16. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Depends on where he went I suppose. In La Liga he'd be taller than a lot of the top centerbacks.

17. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tihnk Fulham has expressed interest in just about every person ever capped for the USA. Personally, as much as I know the Revs need Parkhurst, I always want the guys to be able to play at a higher level and make as much money as they can. I was glad for Dempsey when he got his move, I actually wanted Shalrie to get a shot at playing for Celtic, and I'd be all for Parkhurst making the move to the EPL. Only problem is, Fulham(even though they won yesterday) looks like they are going to be in a huge struggle to stay in the Premiership this season. They cant hold leads to save their lives.

18. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    It's an interesting question. I can't believe MP wouldn't go, given the opportunity. As far as promoting himself to a European club goes, he has a big advantage over SJ in that he is much younger. WRT to the EPL in particular, there seems to be a trend toward really big, powerful, fast forwards. I'm not sure this is MP's game, and like Sean, wonder if he wouldn't do better in Spain.

To flip this question around, who would be in favor of spending our DP/allocation money on Bobby Convey? I mentioned this a while back, and Peanut was skeptical, but he's collected a lot of splinters at Reading since then.

19. Kung Fu Hamster

Kung Fu Hamster New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Sorry guys, I know it's a little off-topic, but was anyone else watching the Fulham-Reading game yesterday on FSC? And did you notice the Revs jerseys in the crowd? It made my day.

20. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Oh, man. I need to dvr the replay.

21. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow, the article's referring to Parkhurst's position as "centre-half" kind of ruins its credibility for me.

Not that it had much to begin with.

22. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES! I saw that too!

23. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you suggesting he will pass up a huge salary increase, perhaps up to $1-2 million a year, out of loyalty to the league? I find that pretty hard to believe.

24. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't centre-half what they call center backs?