Michael Kennedy :: DC United vs Kansas City (MLS Cup) :: Referee Thread [R][N&A]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by MassachusettsRef, Nov 10, 2004.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you guys do ref analysis threads, so here's the info for MLS Cup:

CR - Michael Kennedy
    SAR - Nate Clement
    JAR - Kermit Quinsenberry
    4th - Abbey Okulaja

Also, Okulaja is MLS Referee of the Year. All info can be found in the game guide, here: http://www.mlsnet.com/pdf/cup_gameguide.pdf

Referee Thread Index

2. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: MLS Cup Referee Team

Kennedy seems to have learned how to control backtalking players a bit better, which was a huge weakness of his last year. I just hope for consistency so that we aren't 11 v 12.

GM

3. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8

What is the rational for not having the supposed ref of the year (nothing to brag about in mls) be in the center for the championship game.

4. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia

I'm also sorry that Okaluja is not the main ref. He did an admirable job in the KC-LA game. When things got rough and chippy, he talked to the players and then let them play. He kept the cards in the pocket until a player misbehaved severely after a counseling. The players seemed to respect his control of the game. Even the diving fish Ruiz kept his mouth shut around Okaluja so he must be good.

5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

This is wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Kennedy has not centered a DC game at all this year and was only the 4th for our first game of the year. Conversely he's been involved in 4 centers and 2 4th's for KC games this year. He was a center 3 times last season for DC and once as a 4th. I know DC has had some problems with him in the past, before I started watching the ref's a little harder so I can't be specific. But I just find it really odd that they would schedule someone who hasn't been there for a couple of DC games this year. To maybe know how some players will react and that words might be a better tool than cards. It's amazing to watch some of these guys do WCQ's or international friendlies. They seem to be different ref's in those situations. Hopefully Kennedy will realize this is for all the marbles and it will be a total pro job from whistle to whistle.

Thx,

Jay!

Sat, Apr 3, 2004
    04:00 PM (ET) San Jose Earthquakes @ D.C. United
    RFK Stadium, Washington, DC
    Stott, Kevin
    Lowry, Craig
    Barkey, Gregory
    4TH-R Kennedy, Michael
    (ISO) Tamberino, Michael G
    Bratsis, Angelo

Sat, Jun 19, 2004
    07:30 PM (ET) Kansas City Wizards @ New England Revolution
    Gillette Stadium, Foxboro, MA
    Kennedy, Michael
    Vergara, George
    Salman, Bahij A
    Simmons, Erich
    (ISO) Breetveld, Jack D
    Usher, Fred

Wed, Jul 28, 2004
    08:30 PM (ET) Metrostars @ Kansas City Wizards
    Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO
    Kennedy, Michael
    Taylor, Steven
    Kaplan, Kenneth
    Broockerd, Bronson
    (ISO) Hollingsworth, Holly H
    Wolmerath, Heinz

Fri, Sep 10, 2004
    09:30 PM (ET) Kansas City Wizards @ Colorado Rapids
    Invesco Field, Denver, CO
    Kennedy, Michael
    Fereday, Robert
    Bragg, David
    Tobon, Hector
    (ISO) Bettmann, Rudy
    Smith, Pat

Wed, Sep 22, 2004
    07:30 PM (Local) Chicago Fire @ Kansas City Wizards
    Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO
    Open Cup Finals Championship Game
    Vaughn, Terry W
    Clement, Nathan
    Barkey, Gregory
    Kennedy, Michael
    Frankewicz, Casey

Sat, Oct 2, 2004
    10:00 PM (ET) Kansas City Wizards @ Los Angeles Galaxy
    The Home Depot Center, Carson, CA
    Kennedy, Michael
    Strickland, Chris
    Eddy, Richard
    Seitz, Kari
    (ISO) Sarfaraz, Nasser
    Olson, Steve

Fri, Nov 5, 2004
    08:30 PM (ET) Los Angeles Galaxy @ Kansas City Wizards
    Arrowhead Stadium , Kansas City , MO.
    2004 MLS Playoffs
    Western Conference Final
    Okulaja, Abiodun
    Supple, Thomas
    Taylor, Steven
    Kennedy, Michael

Last Year

MLS Sat, Apr 19, 03
    7:30 PM (ET) Chicago Fire @ D.C. United
    Valenzuela, Ricardo
    Lowry, Craig
    Fereday, Robert
    Kennedy, Michael
    (ISO) Bober , James J.

MLS Wed, Jun 11, 03
    9:30 PM (ET) D.C. United @ Colorado Rapids
    Invesco Field, Denver, CO
    Kennedy, Michael
    Clement, Nathan
    McCaslin, Scott
    Chouaf, Ben
    (ISO) Yant, Kevin
    Baharmast, Esse

Other Sat, Aug 30, 03
    7:30 PM (Local) El Salvador National Team @ D.C. United
    RFK Stadium, Washington DC
    Kennedy, Michael
    Clement, Nathan
    Fereday, Robert
    Stead, Daniel

MLS Sun, Sep 28, 03
    4:00 PM (ET) NY/NJ Metrostars @ D.C. United
    Kennedy, Michael
    Itaya, Roger
    Salman, Bahij A
    Stutt, Mike W
    (ISO) Olazagasti, Milton
    Wolmerath, Heinz
    Silva, Herb
    (ISO)

6. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    The referees are assigned before the teams are known......

7. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Which is the way it should be.

Do you have an answer for Victory's question?

8. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

First and foremost, the people who select the OSI Referee of the Year and the assignors for MLS (namely Paul Tamberino and Esse Baharmast) are not the same people. In the eyes of the assignors, Kennedy very well may be "referee of the year".

Some secondary reasons:

1. Okulaja is fairly new, this only being his second year in the league. The assignment as 4th official is half "reward" for having a good year and half "preparation" for the future, when he will almost assuredly get an MLS Cup.

2. It doesn't look good to have a national referee (and not a FIFA referee) on MLS Cup. FIFAs are supposed to be our top referees. If a FIFA is qualified and available, he will get the match. To my knowledge, Paul Tamberino is the only non-FIFA to referee an MLS Cup (and even he was a FIFA assistant).

3. Okulaja refereed the Western Conference final. He wasn't going to get back-to-back games.

4. Kennedy is reaching retirement age. That in itself is not a reason to give him the match. However, the fact that he hasn't had the game before, coupled with the fact that he has been (by my own observations and many on these boards here) the #1 or #2 referee in the league this year, would put him over someone like Okulaja, who will have several opportunities to work a final in the future. Again, this is a minor, minor concern compared to the others. What I'm basically saying is that if Okulaja and Kennedy were seen as "even", then this would almost certainly be the tiebreaker.

9. sandshark5150

sandshark5150 Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen Michael Kennedy ref here in K.C. both in outdoor and indoor soccer games. I used to joke that ithe game will get chippy, then a fight will break out, then every little tap will get called and carded. It sadly has been enough that my friends cringe when he is introduced. Hope D.C. can stay above it....

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... bump ...

A few opening comments ...

I still can't understand the grounds for six minutes of stoppage time, but it was a championship match and one team was down by a goal. I suppose there's some fairness to the trailing side in being generous as possible. You don't want to cut things short. It's something a ref shouldn't be stingy about in that situation ... even if it causes the winning side ulcers.

He missed Eski's handball, but I don't think he was in position to see it. That said, I think the handball was much more obvious on TV than it was at the stadium. I'm not sure if anyone around me noticed it and we had a pretty good view.

Kovalenko's red was justified. He absolutely made the proper call there.

11. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's easy to understand Kennedy not seeing Esky's handling, but Nate Clement should have been in a relatively good position to see it. ABC's camera work sucked (as usual), so I didn't get to see if Mike checked with Nate after the goal.

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good grief you're right about this. ABC's camera work was borderline disgraceful.

13. tsink

tsink New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Full disclosure, I see the game through DC United eyes. However, when I watched the game, I believe that there was a difference in the way the game was officiated after DC went a man down in the area of clock management. Kennedy seemed to officiate the game not only to prevent time wasting but actually to get DC to play faster than normal. I though the ARs and Kennedy pushed DC to restart play since they were aware that time was running our on KC. In other words, they weren't just trying to prevent time wasting, they were trying to get DC to restart faster than is the norm. In that respect, I though the officials acted inappropriately, and penalized DC for time wasting with the 6 minute injury time. I certainly concede DC slowed the game down once they were down a man, but I did not beleive they took an inordinantly long amount of time to restart play.

14. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps there was some guidance from Esse, etc., after the travesty of time management KTerry imposed on DC United in cheatin bob's defining game in 2003?? That was 180 degrees from what you describe above.

GM