Michael Hoyos at LDU Quito (Ecuador)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by keller4president, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google Translate:

Is questionable continuity Hoyos
    Still not got a transfer from the wheel and built by Sarmiento in the next few hours will decide about his future.
    Sunday, August 17, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Continuity in the wheel Sarmiento Michael Hoyos (Estudiantes ex and coming to play at Greek football) was questioned in the past after the delay in reaching the transfer from the European country. During this week the leaders decide on the future of the player in relation to the entity in our midst. One option that gained strength would dispense with his services if their rating does not arrive in the next few hours.

http://www.diariodemocracia.com/notas/2014/8/17/esta-duda-continuidad-hoyos-87899.asp

But it would appear he made the subs bench for their next game:
    http://www.laverdadonline.com/noticia-52832.html

2. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Testudo repped this.
  3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get your point but I don't think Fabian will play defense for us anymore, we have Chandler and Yedlin to man the right side and Chandler and Ream the left side. Fabian should move back to midfield pre-world cup lineup and current club lineup. Hoyos is a lefty but I see him more of a wanan-be Jones type. I don't think he has the speed to play the flanks, I like his size 6'1, 175.

4. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    My original post was made in August 2013...but thanks for responding a year later. (Obviously, I no longer consider Hoyos one of our top winger options.)

5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always been late to the party :)

6. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    So Argentinas top league is expanding to 30 teams this February. So hoyos and Sarimento will be playing in the top league. Will he shine? We shall see. If he plays well, he could make the gold cup squad over zusi or Shea.

7. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Title change? @dark knight. @Friedel'sAccent

Motorcycle diaries: Michael Hoyos in Argentina.

Or

I left my heart in Sarmiento: Hoyos in Argentina.

Or

Life with Mikey: Hoyos grows up

8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

30 teams!!! How the devil are they going to make that work?

9. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Hahahahaha.

10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its a complete cluster ******** fueled by political decisions more than anything made by the ex president of the AFA and vice of FIFA Julio Grondona who died in september. The rest of the clubs wanted to stop the 30 team league before it started, but it was too late since the 2nd division format had already been changed so that 10 (yes 10!) would be promoted.

No one wants this format, and the big clubs playing the Libertadores, River, Boca, and Racing, are unlikely to pay much attention to this league as, lets be honest 10 of the teams are basically second division sides and its farcical. Luckily in 2016, there will be 5 teams relegated then 5 more in 2017 to get back to a 20 team league.

On Hoyos, well i had no idea he signed for Sarmiento. Its a club based in Junin, a city/town way in the north of the Buenos Aires province like 300 km from the Capital. I've never been there and i don't think there would be any reason to go there tbh. I'm sure its a nice place, but its basically a former farming outpost like pergamino and many other cities in that part of the country. While pergamino has grown into a huge city and perhaps the most import agricultural city in all of buenos aires province, junin hasn't.

The club is pretty shit. They play on a tiny field, not exactly ideal for a wide player like Hoyos, and i can guarantee you this team will play a horrendous brand of football- long balls on their small ass field, and defending with 11 men in away matches.

Just 2 years ago this team was playing in the regionalized 3rd tier of argentine football and would be no where near the first division if it wasn't for the awful new format. IMO Sarmiento is one of the candidates to go down.

But- the first game of the season is Sarmiento vs. River, my team the current best team in south america, so that should be good fun to watch

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows! It's a funky, funky format they are about to undergo. It's a five year plan, project, clusterf***, whatever you want to call it. I have no idea what the objective is but it will go like this:

• From February to December 2015, the league will be contested between thirty teams. Two teams will be relegated to and two teams will be promoted from Primera B Nacional.
    • In the first half of 2016, the league will be contested between thirty teams. Three teams will be relegated to and one team will be promoted from Primera B Nacional.
    • From August 2016 to June 2017, the league will be contested between twenty-eight teams. Four teams will be relegated to and two teams will be promoted from Primera B Nacional.
    • From August 2017 to June 2018, the league will be contested between twenty-six teams. Four teams will be relegated to and two teams will be promoted from Primera B Nacional.
    • From August 2018 to June 2019, the league will be contested between twenty-four teams. Four teams will be relegated to and two teams will be promoted from Primera B Nacional.

LouisZ and Winoman repped this.
  12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds to me the league wants to cash-in in the relation battles.

13. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Sounds like the whole league is doing poorly financially, and they want to give the top teams more home games, and give smaller clubs more home games against the top teams that have national or travelling fan bases (Estudiantes, River, etc.)

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both you guys are probably right. So I guess we can call this the Primera Division Stimulus Plan. ;)

Winoman and LouisZ repped this.
  15. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Back to Michael, this does give him a chance to shine against high-level competition. If he plays well, the bigger clubs will come calling.

16. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually, this format is such a cluster ******** its giving us less home games. Normally, each club has 19 home games per year, now under this format it will be just 15. All the clubs are going to lose money on gate receipts and TV money under this format it so incredibly stupid.

And btw, Estudiantes doesn't have a national following or a big fan base. It isn't followed outside of La Plata and its surrounding areas. Its loyal, and they take a lot of fans on the road with them, but the only two clubs that have national followings are River and Boca. For example, when River plays in Mendoza against Godoy Cruz- on the boarder with Chile, the stadium will have 20,000 River fans and 20,000 godoy cruz fans, and most of these river fans will actually be from mendoza.

River and Boca play supe clasico matches all over the country in every far off places like salta or jujuy and the stadiums are divided red/white vs. blue/gold. Other clubs like Racing and Independiente and to a less extenet san lorenzo have some fans throughout the country, but they could never sell out a stadium or come close to it really.

River and Boca have about 75% of argentine football fans the other teams take up the other 25 percent. River has the highest attendance in all of the americas in 2014, more than america de mexico despite them have 100,000 capacity and we only have 65,000 yet we still managed over 50,000 again. We have 130,000 socios/members which i believe is the 5th or 6th highest total in the world, though currently we aren't accepting more socios because theres too high a demand while clubs like man u let people in asia become socios any day they want

ebado and m vann repped this.
  17. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    None of this is confirmed. We will need to wait and see. Just on the radio last night they were talking about a change in format that would see 5 teams relegated in 2016 and 5 more in 2017. Just wait and see.

ebado and m vann repped this.
  18. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Like I said tune in February 15th for Sarmiento River. You can now watch all argentina primera matches on futbolparatodos.com.ar in HD.

BTW, did you follow him in the B Nacional? I didn't follow the B Nacional much this season, just the last few games and teams like Huracan and Aldosivi i have an interest in... I am looking through their goalscorers list and not seeing him on there

ebado repped this.
  19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #94 The Irish Rover, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    Actually it's a pet project of Julio Grondona, the late (and entirely unlamented) head of the Argentine FA and VP of FIFA. A complete and utter shitbag, he made Jack Warner seem palatable. At least with Jack, you knew where you stood: just give him the f*&%king money. Grondona . . .

20. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming these are exhibitions correct?

Why exactly is the high demand causing them to cease offering new memberships? Is it to make the current memberships worth more and if so what benefit does that bring?

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just wanted to say how much I appreciate your contributions on this thread. For obvious reasons, we don't get enough commentary from people who know Argentine footy in the YA fora.

Feliz navidad y feliz año nuevo!

RiverGaucho and ebado repped this.
  22. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I didn't follow him in the B Nacional, aside from random news reports online. His stats are here, he's only played 156 minutes for them thus far:

http://us.soccerway.com/players/michael-hoyos/110202/

Testudo repped this.
  23. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #98 RiverGaucho, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    Yes. Every summer- your winter- River and Boca play various friendlies. This year, we only have two. One of them will be in Mar del plata- a beach resort city that features a stadium that was used in the 1978 world cup and by Aldosivi, a team just ascended to first division. Other teams also participate in the Mar del Plata tournaments called Torneo de Verano with the Copa Ciudad de Mar del Plata up for grabs. The Boca-River game in Mar del Plata is very traditional and is taken various seriously, both teams put out the first teams. We also play this year in Mendoza. In other years, there have been three river-boca games, but this year only 2 due to libertadores commitments.

The reason they had to stop offering membership is because we have enough members to accommodate two stadiums. Instead, the club launched this website- www.somosriver.com which allows you to be a member of sorts, but not a full out member. Basically, its because the demand for big matches (clasicos and copa sudamericana/libertadores) where you will have 80-90,000 members requesting tickets and thats just not possible, so they've had to cut it off.

This "somos river" gives you a river ID card and you get offered the remaining tickets for less important league matches, and occasionally a big match if the tickets are available and for away games in the copa libertadores and sudamericana. You also get discounts on river products and all adidas stores in greater Bs As and some other promotional crap. You can become a part of somos river from anywhere in the world, where as to become a socio you need to actually go to the club and register, etc. River is a social club, as a member you get access to the club restaurant, cafe, and you can play tennis, use the pool, send your kids to summer camp, use the gym, and basically go into the club whenever you want. You can rent out certain areas for parties too. So you can understand why they need to stop accepting members

And as to the financial side of things, river and boca are only so poorly off financially due to the weakness of argentina's economy and the currency- there's currently inflation rates of about 40%. Back in the 90s and 80s when it was 1 to 1 peso to the dollar, river and boca paid huge contracts, as big as many european clubs. Argentine clubs are probably the only clubs int he world where our wages have decreased over the years. In 97, our captain Enzo Francescoli the great uruguay was making 3 million a year as was chilean marcelo salas who would later play for lazio and juventus. We went and bought the best player for Mexico, Garcia Aspe too, he was a flop, but today there's no way a mexican international would play in argentina

ebado, (TxT) and bshredder repped this.
  24. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When current members decide to drop their membership, lapse on their dues, die, etc. what happens since they are not accepting new socios?

Is there some sort of wait list that is set up through Somos River?

Is membership on a personal basis or family basis because it would be a bit weird if as a kid your father has membership so you get to go to summer camps and enjoy the facilities but when you, say turn 18, your out of luck since membership is closed; I assume in this case there is some sort of legacy program that allow someone whose family has been socios for generations to become a member?

Winoman repped this.
  25. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well the register of socios only closed recently due to the high demand during the last tournament. When people stop paying dues or drop their membership, I'm sure the registry will open again. I think its very much a way to just control the demand that there will be for this coming season where we have Recopa Sudamericana (two-legged super cup basically), Copa Libertadores, and we defend our Copa Sudamericana title. Lets say you've been a member for 50 years and you are trying to reserve season tickets for copa libertadores games and they've sold out by a bunch of new members who haven't been paying monthly dues for more than a few months how pissed you'd be.

And yes, there is a legacy program, both my parents are socios and so are my grandparents even though they don't go to the stadium that much, they still pay the monthly dues.

Theres also a ranking system that gives priorities for away matches and for socios who aren't season ticket holders.

I know it sounds complicated, but well, argentina is a nonsensical country, and if you think understading the football is hard, imagine what the politics are like.

The Irish Rover, (TxT) and Gorky repped this.