Michael Essien

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by BridgeMonkee, Jul 12, 2005.

1. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    T'is about time the lad had his own thread (and SWP maybe?) - well, IF we sign this lad, by all accounts he's a good player. Ghanain, so he has English as his first language and that aint a bad thing, almost makes him a homegrown player really imo.

Essien wants Chelsea move

Michael Essien has stated his desire to leave French champions Lyon and join Chelsea as soon as possible.

The Ghanaian international has attracted the interest of the Premiership champions this close season, while Manchester United and Real Madrid are also known admirers of the 22-year-old.

Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas has stood firm over keeping the former Bastia player, having previously stated that he would not sell him for �25 million.

The midfielder, however, has now made it clear that he wants to leave Stade Gerland and join The Blues, claiming he cannot afford to miss out on such an opportunity at this stage of his career.

"I want to leave," Essien told L'Equipe. "I have had plenty of thought on this during my holidays.

"It is time for me to leave, and I won't change my mind.

"To me, Lyon is over. I won't go to Korea (for pre-season) with the team.

"It is in my interest, and in Lyon's interest, that I leave.

"Now, I hope the chairman won't prevent me from seizing that opportunity.

"I want to play in England and at Chelsea. I am already at Chelsea in my mind. I am dreaming about that.

"I want to go because if not, I will regret it all my life. If I stay, I don't know in what state of mind I will be."

Despite clearly stating his desire to leave, Aulas again made clear that the African talent is not for sale.

"It is not a matter of money, but a matter of principle," Aulas told L'Est Republicain.

"Anyway, we won't sell him."

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And when a Frenchman tells you it's a matter of principle and not money... you know he means it ;)

3. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
  5. bluemen groupee

bluemen groupee New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    westside
    Pure negotiating ploy. No one in their right mind would pass on £££ to hold on to a player that has a year left in their contract. A player that has publicly stated his desire to leave. What a joke.

Of course, Mourinho is playing his little negotiating games as well:

"I am cool," he added. "I am happy with what I have, I don't need more. I have a good balance, all the positions are covered.

"We already have an improvement with Del Horno, Crespo and Carlton Cole.

"If during this two or three weeks before the end of the month we can get an extra player I will be pleased, but I am happy by keeping my players and that is the most important thing."

6. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002

Ah the French, the land of cheese, fresh body odor, principle and troops that never surrender...

7. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  8. sstarch1

sstarch1 Member

Jan 25, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I can imagine the conversation:
    Aulas: "You are not for sale."
    Eissen: "I want to leave!"
    Aulas: "You are not for sale."
    Eissen: "I want to leave."
    Aulas:"You are coming with us to South Korea"
    Eissen: "No im not!"
    Aulas: "Yes you are!"

etc etc

9. JoshDB

JoshDB New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Washington State
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to keep an unwilling player for another season. He's showed he wants to leave, and I think despite being french, the club has enough sense to know he won't be playing as well as he could if he doesn't leave.

10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    furthering your point, thus, making his transfer fee next year even lower. I don't think Lyon management is that dumb.