Michael Delura (schalke 04)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by northern ireland fan, Mar 22, 2005.

1. northern ireland fan

Aug 10, 2001
    belfast
    Sorry if this has been posted before but the above player has American connections.

If you check out the following link, from the FIFA website you will notice half way down the page that Delura is mentioned as Germanys star player for the forthcoming world youth championships in Holland. It says he is Polish-American.

http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/WYC/tournament/0,6416,WYC-2005-500,00.html

Hope this is of some use to you guys!

Green and White Army!!!!

2. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Blimey...someone send that dude a platter of omaha steaks and coca-cola....get 'em back in the fold :)

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Don't worry, Jri, if he's really a good player he'll switch to the US before he plays for Germany as an adult! :D

4. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Hey, I get the wink there......I'll continue to unabashedly root/recruit/etc. legitimate candidates (upcoming talent) to be retained by US. Part of creating a good and great team is having more talent than you know what to do with, and no one can claim we are THERE yet.

Also, every country mooches or tries.

Finally, I always thought Mike Hanke would be the Schalke player to 'come out of the Wurst closet', but whatever.. :D

5. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Hey, I'll pitch in on the steaks with you and Sandon and maybe someone else can pick up the Fedex bill?

6. papa surf

papa surf New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Baltimore
    You know what? If you Are serious I would. we could start a trend, off line asap, we could send Rossi some stuff and Weah jr. etc.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    delura is a very nice (and big) player, but the guy was born in gelsenkirchen so i don't know how they get "polish-american"

8. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    from the article
    He probably has an american parent and a polish parent

I was born in America and I am of Irish and Italian descent

9. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Wait until he plays against our U-20 team in the WYC and see how good the team is, maybe he'll want to play for the US? :cool:

10. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't there a NATO base up near gelsenkirchin? One of his parents might have been in the military.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

yes, good point - i am familiar with this player, but i don't ever remember him being referred to as american and i'm pretty sure he plays regular for germany U-20 mannschaft

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Every city in Germany is near a NATO base.

13. Moonsault

Moonsault New Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Germany
    Some months ago Delura thought about a polish citizenship in order to play for poland. But then he decided to play for germany - why should he change his opinion and think about an engagement in the US-Team!? No, we need him ourselves. ;-p

Sure that you don't mistake Gelsenkirchen for Geilenkirchen (NATO Air Base)? ;)

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    According to a nice lady in Schalke's press office, Delura is not American but "only" Polish-German.

15. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and the press would never lie OR report an inaccurate fact. ;)

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Geez, everyone is a media critic these days!

I don't know the truth definitively, but FIFA's press office says one thing and Schalke's says another -- can they both be wrong? (I suppose anything is possible...) At any rate, I'm going to keep looking into it and will report back.

17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    He is a part of Germany's WYC squad.

http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/WYC/WYCSquad/0,3343,WYC-2005-1-9641-GER,00.html

18. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's just Polish-American but born in Germany I doubt he could play for Germany... Germany is a "citizenship by blood" country. Being born there doesn't confer citizenship as it does in the USA (or France). Also, remember that there are a lot of Germans from Prussia with Polish surnames. That part of the country went back and forth as far as which country it was, between Prussia, Poland and the German Republics.

19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    WTF?

:confused:

I have no idea what you are talking about. He is a part of their World Youth Cup team.

20. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Dear Shibb,

Thank you for clarifying German immigration laws.

Tchuss,

Mirsolav Klose, Gerald Asamoah and Oliver Neuville

21. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, an earlier post implied that he was Polish-American but born in Germany and therefore playing for the Germans. He's only playing for Germany because he's German or eligible for a German passport, via parentage. I guess it's not worth mentioning.

22. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003
    Actually that changed 1 or 2 years ago under the current SPD government- can't remember how recently that was, but born in the country now gets citizneship with some (far fewer restrictions)

23. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to hear it. I moved away a few years ago, so missed that. Must have been after the "Kinder statt Inder" political campaigns. Presume it was designed to be more fair to multi-generational Turkish families and certainly should help with new blood for the DFV.

24. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    He is mentioned in this preview to the WYC.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3668830