Michael Bradley's Fugue in B Major

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by roboatse, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lombard

Lombard Member

Jul 6, 2007
    True, but BMG also wanted the money immediately. Presumably you'd need to offer them the possibility of more cash to get them to agree to a loan + option deal than you would to buy the player outright.

2. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been more than a dozen clubs rumored to be interested. If even a handful of those rumors were true, the price certainly be driven up a bit by the competition.

3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Yeah I've seen the following: Aston Villa, Sunderland, Everton, 4 midtable Bundesliga clubs, Palermo, Bari, Brescia, Cagliari, Galatasaray, Fenerbahce and CSKA Moscow.

4. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spartak not CSKA.

5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Yeah you're right. And actually Seltzer didn't specify on the Bundesliga interest, so it could have been basically any club outside the relegation zone.

6. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beastmode 24/7/365. No silly hair, fluorescent shoes, lengthy injury history, whack Twitter accounts, media darling bullshit or baby Bentleys for Mike.

Transport him back to 15th century Japan and he'd fit right in Bushido culture.

7. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    There's a big difference between an inherited player and one you bring in.

8. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    They play in the EPL, their prices are going to be inflated for that alone.

9. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    The comparison between him and Nigel Reo-Coker is interesting. Bradley is much more accomplished internationally, and has proven his worth against the best international sides in the world. NRC has proven to be an above average midfielder in the Prem, but comparing the two - Bradley is younger, and seems to be a bit of a better player....but what's funny? Next season, Reo-Coker is going to get paid around double what Bradley is going to get. Not sure how this fits into the valuation.

12. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Bent played quite a bit as a single striker last season at Sunderland.

13. TinManJoshua

TinManJoshua Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Making nerds cool: Bradley joins the AV club.

14. Naustin

Naustin Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I like this move for him. I hope the loan spell goes well and he earns himself a permanent move.

15. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have our new thread.

16. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The downside is they havent sold him yet. If its an option, Villa can change their mind if Bradley doesnt perform well, and its BMG that takes the hit. But if Bradley goes bonkers, then BMG has to take less then his value because the max AV will have to pay is locked in. Basically, Gladbach should get more then they asked for an outright sale because Aston Villa is making BMG hold on to all of the risk.

Its frankly a bit of a weird deal to me. Not because its a loan to buy option, but because loan to buy options make sense when the buyer thinks the player is high risk, and the seller doesn't have leverage to just tell the buyer to go stuff themselves for asking for a loan to buy deal. If you can sell, sell, if you think that a new situation is needed for Bradley to show his wares, then just loan him, with no locked in buying price, so the market can revalue him. Great deal for Villa though.

I could also see wildly divergent ways this deal could go. The further up the field in central midfield, the better. If he ends up playing deep i don't expect this to go well at all. Be curious whether Houlier seems him like his dad, or sees him like his coach at Heerenveen, or sees something in between.

17. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Not to be negative, but I have a hard time believe Houllier is going to immediately trust a loan player, and an American no less who has never played in the Prem to save AV from going down. He demonstrated no patience with Lichaj, and Lichaj had been in AV's system for years.

A much more likely scenario is that Bradley is cover, and will get some minutes here and there. If the regulars aren't performing or get injured,
    he will get his shot. But he needs to excel for a few games. Houllier is the type that will hook out the young player at the first opportunity. Not to mention its a disaster for the club and him as a manager if they go down.
    He's going to go with the vets and the Europeans as a first option.

18. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Superdave- once again you demonstrate your willingness to make yourself look silly.

The guy is on loan. For all we know, he is cover for 6 months and going back.

When AV actually plucks down 9 million, then let's talk. Otherwise, the number is meaningless.

19. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Mike does go to Villa, there is no comparison between his situation and Eric's. Eric is an unproven reserve/youth teamer, while Mike is an accomplished International who excelled at the WC and has been a starter in the first divisions of the Netherlands and Germany. And Villa doesn't need to be saved from relegation. They are going to be just fine. In fact, I'd be willing to wager they're more likely to qualify for Europe than to get relegated this season.

There's no guarantee Mike will be a success at Villa, but if he moves there he'll get his chance (I know that's painful for you to read, 'coop... but he's actually a pretty good player).

20. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, he may not succeed at Villa, but if you think he's being brought in just as cover...well, then I've got some beachfront property in Iowa to sell you...

I realize this must be a tough day for you 'coop. One of the top 6 or 7 clubs in England looks like they want to sign the player you have an irrational vendetta against. If this move happens, he'll be at a better club than all the CM's you think are miles ahead of him ability wise....

21. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its simple. Loan to buy was Gladbachs only real move.

-Mike didn't want to go to Turkey, those rumors weren't coming out of complete thin air.
    -Sunderland was interested but would rather make a move for the equally priced, higher profile Sulley Muntari and Sessegnon.
    -Villa don't have the money in their pockets right now, considering the Bent purchase.
    -If he impresses they'll buy him.
    -Win, win and win if Mike can pull through. BMG have a lot of confidence in Mike despite what happened at the end.

People truly underestimate Mikey's competitiveness on the National team squad. He doesn't live in a bubble, his Dad is the damn coach. Of course his father is evaluating the likes of Spector, Jones, Holden and fringe players like Kljestan and Edu. He's going to tell his son that he needs to raise his profile to the likes of his midfielder compatriots.

Bob knows that the inevitable 5 man midfield he's been tweaking requires 3 true center mids. How are we to evaluate Mike amongst his peers if he's in a lesser league. And I'm sorry but being top dog in Turkey is nothing compared to playing for a traditionally marginally successful team in the big 3.

22. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And yet Elano managed make it on the field for Brazil after having moved to Galatasaray from the richest club in the richest league in the world.

Since when is it the big 3 anyway? From your earlier comments, I assume you mean England, Spain, and Italy. Germany is about to overtake Italy in the league rankings and would have already if it weren't for Inter winning the CL last year.

I understand your point, but national teams far better than the U.S. have played guys from the Turkish league on many an occasion.

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

I'm sorry, but what on Earth are you talking about?

If Mr. Rogers' report is correct, 9M is not some "meaningless" figure - it is the price Villa have agreed to pay for him in 6 months.

And for this bit of nonsense, you include the accusation that someone else is demonstrating a silliness willingness? And right after you try to tie Lichaj's predicament to Bradley's outlook? Seriously?

C'maaaaaan, dude. Get real.

24. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    guys, he is on a loan. A LOAN. this is plain silly. there is no commitment from Villa after 6 months.

It would be great if Bradley played well enough to be purchased for 9 million dollars but assuming he will be is pure speculation.

If Bradley plays as well as Holden, he very well might.

Is Holden worth 9 million? After all, he's played very, very well in the last 6 months- exactly as long as the period Bradley needs to prove himself.
    Difference being, Holden has done it and Bradley hasn't.

I do think the English game is better suited for Bradley. I hate to burst YOUR bubble, but Bradley is not the most technical of players (Holden is beter materially), but Bradley balls to the wall style is likely better fit in England than most league, so yes, I certainly think its possible he could do well.

But even that's not even the same thing as getting bought for 9 million.

First things first, let's see him get on the pitch and start a few matches.

It would be good to see him do well. He needs to play better than at Gladbach however, raise his game if he wants to stick. Its possible, certainly.

I think the odds are 50/50 hie could play well, but less than 50/50 that they will actually buy for $9m. That a lot of money for an American :p

25. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess (and of course, all our speculations are guesses, lacking much solid info) is that the "loan" is a financial benefit to AV, allowing them to pay MB for the remainder of the PL season at his current salary level with BMG. That will save AV a chunk of change that can go into the purchase price.

As for competition to MB at AV, Stephan Ireland appears to be on his way to Newcastle.