Michael Bradley - update 8/30 9:30 ET: 2 year deal with club option at Chievo?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by deuteronomy, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Michael Bradley - update 8/29 12:30 ET: terms agreed upon w/ Chievo?

I don't actually think the current squad would be in the Premiership.

2. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are plenty of players that don't make it in one league or another for whatever reason and are still quality. This argument is used all too often on BS.

That being said, I agree that Rangers would be a lower tier club in the Prem.

3. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But it's not like there's a huge difference in the cultural and technical atmosphere between Scotland and England (especially 2nd division England). You'd think their best players would be able to hang around at least somewhere in the Premier League if they are supposedly a Premier League-quality team.

In the meantime, Rangers are losing to Slovenian and Lithuanian teams in preliminary UEFA competition all while playing some of the world's ugliest, most conservative football.

It's absurd that it's even being argued whether a club like that could somehow be a more rigorous environment than a even a middling club in a top-4 league, let alone the one with historically the biggest emphasis on disciplined, tactical play (which Mike "hustles too much" Bradley supposedly needs to learn).

4. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is this somehow related to Mike's move to Italy? I mean, absent that last sentence about "hustle"?

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This theme was introduced by another poster earlier in the thread, when the probable move to Chievo was classed by that poster as a massive step down from his current position. Hence the discussion of the relative quality leagues.

6. strago

strago Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seltzer confirming Bradley is on his way today to Chievo for a medical:

"I can now confirm, via 'Gladbach, that Michael Bradley has physically left campus to travel for the purpose of completing a transfer.

Adding that to what I reported yesterday, and it's only a matter of formality and time before we can officially close that case. Chievo, it is. I like it. Good, smart move for Mikey. "

http://www.noshortcorners.com/2011/08/i-can-now-confirm.html

7. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

thank you for this

8. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It has been updated since:

9. jgriff1006

jgriff1006 New Member

May 1, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

from goff

Michael Bradley move confirmed RT @RonWaxman I am happy to report Michael Bradley has signed with Chievo Verona in Serie A #usmnt

10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

SoccerInsider Steven Goff
    Michael Bradley move confirmed RT @RonWaxman I am happy to report Michael Bradley has signed with Chievo Verona in Serie A #usmnt
    3 minutes ago

11. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Awesome! Super excited to have another Yank in Serie A.

Assuming the players strike gets resolved, the Flying Donkeys' first game of the season will be on September 11 @ 9AM as they host newly promoted side Novara.

12. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So let me get this straight, Bradley falls out of favor at BMG, finally signs with Chievo Verona and immediately goes on STRIKE?!!!11:eek:

13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soft! What light through yon window breaks!
    'Tis Mikey Bradley, and he's a Flying Donkey!

14. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He'll be going on strike before he even works a full day! That lazy bastard :p

In Chievo-related news though: Chievo played Inter in a friendly on Saturday (the day the league was supposed to start) and left victorious. I'm not sure of the lineups, but I imagine the teams started full-strength sides (seeing as most teams are scheduling friendlies during the strike to improve squad fitness). The game finished 2-3 to Chievo, with new signing Alberto Paloschi providing one of the goals. Highlights for those interested:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV98pcF7KWo"]INTER - Chievo 2-3 Inter Channel Highlights 2011.08.27 (Friendly) - YouTube[/ame]

15. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good move for Bradley. Right now the Budesliga is a better league, but he needed to play. And Italy is still a top 5 league, no doubt. And the Donkeys had a good year last season. Not going to contend for Europe, most likely, but hopefully won't be in relegation battles every year like Gladbach, either.

16. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    The last few pages of this thread sucked flying donkey balls. Perhaps they were on topic after all.

17. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what are they on strike from? I guess not friendlies...are they training and just not playing the serie A games?

18. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    At first it was over an austerity tax, but the government has decided to abolish it. The remaining issue is over not lettig managers make players train away from the first team when the club is thinking about selling a player.

19. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    At first it was over an austerity tax, but the government has decided to abolish it. The remaining issue is over not lettig managers make players train away from the first team when the club is thinking about selling a player.

20. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I, for one, like the prospect of him going there. Whether the club is as big as BMG or whether the league is at the moment the equal of the BL really strikes me as reaching for things to quibble about. Presumably, he would be paid to his liking and at 24 certainly has earned and will continue to earn a decent wage.

There are no Americans [that I am aware of...DMN, help?] playing in Serie A and whether it is on a par with what it once was, and almost all players who play for the 2006 WC Champs [and 4 time champs] not named Giu Rossi or Balotelli [or Santon?] play there and developed there, so they seem to know something about what they're doing. MB is erudite and hard running, hard working and could stand to add some guile and sophistication in his game which, at least by reputation, Italian soccer seems to possess.

21. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    There are no americans getting first team minutes atm. There's a defender at Bologna (Nazzani) and a forward at Sampdoria (Ferrari) who have spent the last few seasons on loan at lower league clubs.

Edit: oh and Goofy never made a SerieA appearance with Milan, so AFAIK the last American to get real minutes in the league would be Mamas back in the 90's.

22. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Michael Bradley - Aston la Villa baby![R] update 8/26 noon ET: starting to look like Chievo

Okay, we’ve got confirmation. I am for shutting this nasty mofo down and moving to a new thread. We’ve got two good name suggestions:

In fair Verona- Mike Bradley at Chievo (Gorky suggested this one first)

When donkeys fly: Michael Bradley at Chievo (First Star suggested this one)

I assume we’ll have the chance to use both, eventually, so we're just deciding who goes first.

Preferences?

23. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    donkeys fly, without a doubt.

24. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Chievos USA

1 person likes this.
  25. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Michael Bradley - Aston la Villa baby![R] update 8/26 noon ET: starting to look like Chievo

The donkeys flying one is quite memorable, and has multiple potential meanings, too. I like that one a lot.