Michael Bradley to Benfica?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Higher Learning, Jul 17, 2014.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was particularly young and/or it was after having his goal-scoring confidence killed with Hull. Picked it back up in Holland. I realize it's considerably easier to score there than the big leagues. But a ratio 25 times worse is hard to reconcile.

I agree though it would be risky for a club in the top 5 to rent him, especially on those wages. Right now he's part of team relegation: Jozy, Big Brad, and Bobby Wood.

2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, Jozy went to Holland right after leaving Turkey so I don't think you can chalk it up to age or Hull when he does poorly just months before his peak performance. It is what it is.

Bobby Wood may still be useful but he can't be our number 1 striker going into this cycle.

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Is anyone here Rooting for Bradley to succeed overseas??

onefineesq, Velocity Boy and adam tash repped this.
  4. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I always liked Bradley a good player and a clean cut guy

5. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Sure but I don't think it's realistic at all to think he is going overseas.

He is making probably 5x more than anyone overseas would consider paying him at this point in his career.

The idea he is leaving MLS at this point is laughable and that interest from an EPL side like Everton is "heating up" is equally laughable.

shnaggletooth and mike4066 repped this.
  6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    NFW would anyone turn down TFC's offer. It was crazily above market and now his family is secure for generations.

7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    It's not unknown for players to turn down more lucrative offers. His family could/should be secure for generations from his playing income either way. You only have one life and one career. Some people want different things. It's not just a huge money grab for everyone.

superdave and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    It was a 6 year / $40M contract. That's multiples over other opportunities and a clear over-valuation of how good he was and you and I can disagree with whether a third of that amount is "secure for generations". He also had the chance to be "the man" for TFC and the USMNT.

The Irish Rover and largegarlic repped this.
  9. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I understand the situation. Thanks.

Players turn down huge money offers, even from MLS, on a fairly regular basis because they want different things with their life/career. Like I said, a players career isn't necessarily a money grab.

He has been a pro in since 18 making a great living. If he was prudent with his finances, considering not only his wages but his other sources of income (USMNT appearances/ endorsements) his family should be fine.

Just because you would do it doesn't mean everyone would. Some people want different things with their life.

10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I'd be interested to see which players you are thinking of that turned down tens of millions of dollars. I'm sure there are some but it's pretty rare AFAIK.

11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Sure, if you're looking for an exact equivalent the examples will be smaller, naturally.

More generally speaking, it's not uncommon at all for players to take less and significantly less because they want something different from their life/career. Totti is a famous example.

Javier Hernandez indicated he would sacrifice 10's of millions to pursue his dream in Europe rather than move to MLS.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-t...n-$5-million-in-spain-than-$10-million-in-mls

Asked if he would stay in Europe "as far as it takes you," he agreed: "Yes, literally like that, as far as I can go."

Some people have that mindset ^.

LouisianaViking07/09 and DHC1 repped this.
  12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Fair enough on Chicharito! I do think it's different when you have FU money in the bank already and I don't think that MB was anywhere near that level.

Your point is well taken however.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I still find it mind-boggling he was offered that. He nowhere near deserved it. His agent robbed TFC.

14. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    You cant rob the willing...

15. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Only American on the 2018 CONCACAF Best XI. :eek:

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Błaszczykowski was about to join the Chicago Fire, but instead decided to do the White Knight thing and go to his beloved Wisla Krakow where not only he won't be making any money, but he'll be spending some of his to help them pay salaries and survive their crisis. In Chicago he was going to be a DP.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/c...nks-jakub-blaszczykowski-fire-could-it-happen

http://www.sportbible.com/football/...ood-club-wisla-krakow-without-a-wage-20190113

So there's an example of a guy saying "no" to good money.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Me.

Gorky, lmorin and Winoman repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    There were a number of really good reasons for Bradley to take that deal (reasons that made it almost impossible to turn down.)

1) The Money
    2) World Cup was coming and Roma had bought Strootman. Even tho Strootman got hurt in March, the likely effect was MB to remain on Roma bench.
    3) The Money.
    4) He was sure to play a big role at TO, important with WC coming.
    5) The money.
    6) His kids. Had a little one and another on the way not long after. I saw someplace he mentioned liking idea of raising them in NA.
    7) The money.

SamsArmySam, The Irish Rover and DHC1 repped this.
  19. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, as I've gotten older and become more aware of finances, I have more sympathy for athletes who take the big money deal to go to a worse team/league. If you assume that you'll retire at 30-something and live another 50 years, having a couple million in the bank might not be enough. Now if you have tens of millions in the bank, that's enough to live comfortably if you invest sensibly and still have a bunch of money at the end of your life to bankroll the next generation in your family.

The Irish Rover and DHC1 repped this.
  20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    16, wasn't he?

Velocity Boy and freisland repped this.
  21. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    Original tweet/rumor posted by a self-described "freelance writer focusing primarily on football" -- another way of saying "yet another connection-less rumor-monger who's got a Twitter account".

I fully expect next week to hear all about Real Madrid's "heated interest" in signing Freddy Adu, followed by the startling news that Manchester United are "keenly looking into" the availability of Bruce Arena for their open managerial spot.

Winoman, DHC1 and The Irish Rover repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yes. He wanted to play an important role in the World Cup. Ironically, had he stayed a Roma, since Strootman got hurt, he might have gotten a decent amount of game and then, coming off the WC would have gotten a big move - probably to MLS! (He seemed to want to settle down a bit. Having a kid with another on the way/in the plans can do that to a guy...)

But that move was in part forced by the Roma situation, which happens. He could have rolled the dice, but then we'd criticize him for staying at a place where he'd ride the bench just because he knew US soccer would force JK to play him...

23. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Is he a yank abroad? Shouldn’t this thread be sent over to the N&A Bradley dumpster fire thread?

24. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi folks,

I've just deleted some posts that essentially imported the rancorous discussion of MB that's going on in the national team forums into this thread. Let's reserve this thread for news of and discussion about this possible move to Everton. Thanks.

Winoman, deejay and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  25. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumored to be in talks with Rayados

adam tash and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.