Michael Bradley is good - sorry ditractors

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DempC, Sep 10, 2007.

1. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

And to expand it...

----------Simek---------Gooch-----------Boca-------------

---------------Clark---------------Bradley------------------

----Dempsey-----------Feilhaber------------Beasley--------

-----------------Donovan----------------------------------

----------------------------Altidore-------------------------

Yes, Altidore. If any of the youth we've got right is going to break out in time for the big show in 3 years, Jozy is not only the most likely, but the most important.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops, thanks! I fixed it. It should of read that way to begin with! :)

3. toh2007

toh2007 Member

Jun 4, 2007
    we would be extremely vulnerable defensively on the wings in a 3-5-2 with that kind of midfield. Our Central Defenders are already shaky as is. And our best player and passer, Donovan is not on the field, unless you got him at striker.

Feilhaber, Bradley, Clark, and maybe even Edu are all competing for two spots. Bradley and Clark both bring slightly different things, but it comes down to who brings more to the team and what we need more of. If Benny is already slotted down as a starter, it comes down to Bradley v. Clark. You can't have all 3 unless you play a 4-3-3, which i wouldnt be opposed to.

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I would have Donovan as a striker and when healthy Ching would be his partner. They work extremely well together and this is the only person I'd pair with Donovan otherwise 1 of the 2 (Clark or Bradley) would be dropped for Lando to slid back into the midfield. It's situational and would ultimately be decided based on who we play. But I don't think we'd be as vulnerable as you think on the wings, Beasley is a stronger defender and Clark/Bradley can provide cover as the twin d-mid/holding midfielder. As for the three in the back, I'd have to go with a healthy Gibbs in the middle flanked by Dolo and Boca. It may or may not work but what has recently? We are now deep enough to have interchangable line-ups we just have to find the right combos. That's what friendlies are for, trial by error if you like. Bob's got a helluva job to do but if he's mapped it out, as I suspect he has, we will start to see some improvement and defined roles for certain players come qualification time.

5. thedude83

thedude83 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Kansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Mikey is a good prospect but he's is getting automatic starts in every meaningful game he is available for. Meanwhile, Clark is on the bench or left of the roster for the majority of meaningful games. Until one of them establishes themselves as the unquestionable starter they should each be given a fair shake. Mikey had a decent game yesterday but he is still way to reckless. Everytime he is beaten he starts in with the hands. Grabbing, holding, and pulling the opposition until they eventually fall. He seems to lose his head in these situations (which is kinda odd for a coaches son) and just commits stupid fouls. Whereas Rico has the speed and athleticism to make a smooth tackle or at least a proffesional foul when he is beaten( which isn't very often).

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I disagree. I have stayed out of this p'ing match but I would not be at all surprised if Bradley is soon considered the best American player, maybe our first super-star. To me, he has Patrick Vieira written all over him. He played a fantastic game.

7. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX

Yeah this is it. Thanks Ms. Bradley.

Seriously no one is saying the kid isn't good or that he isn't worthy of being called in or getting some caps. He is a good MF. But he isn't perfect (red and penalty e.g.). So if he isn't perfect, let's explore other options unless it is blatantly clear that those other options aren't on the same level. They are at least on Bradley's level.

With regards to whom is better, I just see Clark as more polished defensively right now and better offensively. Doesn't really make too many lunging penalty inducing plays and doesn't really get too many cards. Offensively he has a better outside shot and I think he is a better passer. I think they are both very good at maintaining possession with the ball at their feet.

So I look at the skill set of the players and base it on that.

Look, I don't know that if we played the same exact team tomorrow against Brazil with Clark in the lineup instead of Bradley that it changes anything and/or makes the team better/worst. I think we play better, but until we start seeing Clark more with the A-team, we won't ever really know.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What's amazing is that half of the people on these boards think Bradley shouldn't play and the other half think he's amazing. Patrick Viera, though? Give me one of those saracasm smilies next time.

Personally I think Michael is a very good player with a ton of upside. That position will be very interesting over the next 3 years. Danny Szetela will be 3 years older come WC10. Edu, Clark, Mastroeni, and others will be in the mix. Hey, and I think Dax McCarty is a pretty good young player. This is one position where we'll have a lot of options. Just think of the guys who've gotten serious caps over the last 10 years there (Armas, Williams, Zavagnin, etc.). At one point we on big soccer we're discussing the feasability of getting Kovalenko as a USMNT player. (Ha, funny) It looks like the talent is better and a lot younger.

I'm excited we're having arguments about the potential of all of these guys. Depth is a good problem for a coach to have. Although, the nepotism argument is so silly at this point it can't even be acknoledged. The kid is good.

9. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Michael Bradley and thought he played a good game. Let's not get carried away. Patrick Vierra??

If that were true then we might have a solid chance to win the World Cup in 2010. I mean if Bradley is like Vierra, Adu is like Pele, EJ is like Eusebio, Ferrari is like Ibrahimovich, I am sure there have many more comparisons, just give us the trophy.:rolleyes:

10. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. brainer 99

brainer 99 New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    I don't think anyone has said he shouldn't play. i think most on here agree that he is definately one of our 3 or 4 best options, but he seems to be getting alot of starts over others (preferential treatment?). Yes, i know Rico and others weren't available on SUnday, but over the next couple of freindlies it would be nice to have a look at some others. In my opinion, he is still makes two or three horrid decissions per game and his first touch with the ball always seems to be backwards and never seems to look to start a quick offensive break. Although the way the US developes DM, they all seem to play it backwards first? I'm not hating on MB, just hope we see some other players get their chances with the first team.

12. augustus75

augustus75 New Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Good Lord. Confidence on the ball? Willing to strike from distance? You need to take that on the road. I cant imagine even Bradley's biggest fans endeavoring to point out his strengths by including those two qualities. Those are his WEAKEST POINTS (besides the hacking). The kid hustles and does the dirty work. Those are his best qualities. You do him a disservice by trying to label him otherwise. Just like Bob does him a disservice by starting him every game despite Clark being better and despite other players deserving AT LEAST A LOOK EVERY NOW AND THEN.

13. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said, Clark and Bradley are not the same type of player. What I like about Bradley is the way he takes responsibility on the field - he never disappears and can be counted on to be in position defensively to shield the back line and offensively is always in a good supporting position to link the defense to the attack. His size and stamina is a great asset, particularly for when the USMNT plays the bigger Euro teams.

As far as 3-5-2, I believe the problem for the US is finding the appropriate 3 defenders to pull it off. You need 3 solid CB types with some foot speed and it seems the USMNT has a hard enough time getting 2 solid CB's on the field. I'm not sure Demps would be the best winger in a 3-5-2 either although he does seem to be working harder at defense.

14. duce2424

duce2424 Member

May 4, 2007
    I do think that we are working toward playing a 3-5-2 formation, just makes the most sense given our talent. Bradley has been starting because he will most probebly not play another game till next summer for the USMNT and in all honesty he is probably the best fit for were I see this team going. If we did move to a 3-5-2 Bradleys defence would be very importent to our sucess. On a side note I think we do have the defenders to pull off the 3-5-2, just pick three of
    Dolo
    Pierce
    Simek
    Parkhurst
    Churundalo

15. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'Dolo and Cherundolo are the same people. I wish we had two Cherundolo's too.

16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even Brazilians resort to grabbing, holding and pulling the opposition when they might get beat. In Europe, grabbing, holding and pulling is pretty much normal defense. He may need to knock it back a little bit, but not much.

17. duce2424

duce2424 Member

May 4, 2007
    LOL thats what I get for posting quickly at work, I ment Boca

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    many posters are confusing the USMNT and a U-12 rec league. We are ALL sorry that the coach favored his kid over you, or over your kid. REALLY REALLY sorry. But Bob playing Mike Bradley is not the same as your kid's U-12 coach.
    Bradley is certainly among and maybe the most talented young guy we have. Up there with Altidore. He is a beast and seems to be getting better. And I will stand by my Vieira analogy. I believe he can become that good.

19. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley was one of our better players against Brasil -- I was very impressed with his play, including his shot late in the game. However, that bone-headed take down in the box was unforgiveable! :mad:

He belongs, but we also need to get some playing time and experience for players like Clark, Kljestan, and Grabavoy so that we can build some depth.

If we continue to give Bradley all the time and he gets an injury and comes up lame right when we need him, we'll be up a creek unless we have more players with real, significant experience with the team ...

20. brainer 99

brainer 99 New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    That's a great argument. I'm sure if some of the other guys on the team feel he's given chance after chance, even if he has a poor showing, others will understand when they get benched. They need to understand this is the BIG league, not a rec league.

21. fox3c

fox3c New Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Kentucky
    Bradley lacks a little bit going forward, and looks a little confused at times on the offensive end. He also has a tendency to hold up the play, or not see a pass when its there. A really good midfielder, even a defensive mid, has to be able to play both ways well. Think Pirlo, Essien, Makele, Alonso, Gerrard, Seba.

Rico Clark offers a little bit more in that respect, and should be given more of a chance. Clark also has a good outside shot, which is a great asset in a defensive mid when they push up in secondary support. The Clark-Feilhaber midfield combo was one of the few positives that came out of the Copa America. Better yet, slot Feilhaber back in the defensive mid spot and put another attacking option in the attacking midfield spot (Donovan perhaps).

Bradley is a decent option when we want to bunker down a little bit more and absorb, but not when we really want to push the attack (and haven't we struggled to score goals a little bit since the last world cup). You can't win with a tie.

22. fox3c

fox3c New Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Kentucky
    Ditto. Bradley lacks offensive skills, at least at this level. I'm sure he'd tear it up in college ball or whatever. But his passing and shooting are not strengths, at least not relative to other players at that position playing at this level. He's good at defensive cover, but he's supposed to be, he's a defensive mid. What we need are more two-way midfielders.

23. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Michael have won his place on the midfield fair and square...He play with cojones, he is not afraid of no one.....About his father this is as far as he can go we need a better coach.....

24. brainer 99

brainer 99 New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    now that's the best argument yet. Case dismissed?:eek::confused::D

25. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing as how you're ignoring all the real arguments, I can understand his willingness to try something new...