Michael Bradley - Glad to be 'bach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by arkjayback, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Italians (specifically Gazzetta) have been high on Bradley for a while: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1093876

2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

*sigh*

That was one article from over a year and a half ago riding on the wave of the USMNT Confe Cup performance - especially since they knocked out Italy.

Do you have anything from the "Italians" or the "Gazzetta" being "high" on Bradley from last 6 weeks? 6 months???

3. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I believe Gazetta had Bradley rated the highest of any US player at the World Cup. They called him the Yankee Cambiasso.

4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not talking about Gooch, I'm talking about letting go off Bradley.

5. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Ah, my apologies then.

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Because my point is that they've had good reviews of him before. As in, in the past. As in, more than a year ago.

I actually remember even older pieces in the Italian press that were complimentary of Bradley, I believe from the end of his Heerenveen days. By citing this I am trying to support Rainer24's thesis that "it is kind of cool to see that journalists in Italy view him as a player that a club like Milan would do well to look at."

OK?

7. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would they write articles about performances from a player in the lower tier of the Bundesliga during the regular season?

I haven't talked about the movie Inception in a long time, that must mean that now it's a crappy movie and I'm not high on it anymore. Which is weird, because I liked it before.

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Transfer speculations? I don't know. That's why I asked if there was anything other than a CC review. When Gorky posted that "Italians have been high on Bradley for a while" I percieved that as them following his carreer somewhat.

In fact, it was an article simply giving him "kudos" along wit Dempsey and LD on the CC. Nothing wrong with that, but I was under the wrong impression.

My mistake...

10. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on what they think their chances of staying up are.

Im not sure of the German media money distributions, but considering its Germans we are talking about here even though they are in good financial health they are still likely to look to sell some players if they are relegated.

So if they are ready to fold up the tent on this season, selling during the winter transfer period is actually more lucrative, since their is a winter premium on transfers.

Given their spot in the table, only 7 points adrift, I think it unlikely they are going to fold up shop just yet. But their form is abysmal enough that I think the thought has probably crossed managements mind.

11. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    The world cup was within 6 months wasn't it? Check Scotty's Italian press reports from then. Here's a sample...

The actual article part was complimentary as well.

12. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I bet you can read newspapers and websites from all over the world rating every single player during a World Cup.

Stating that the "Italians" like Bradley is a HUGE misconception and a terrible generalization because a magazine gave him good reviews, that were totally deserved, for his performances during the CC and WC.

13. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I think (and Gorky's since confirmed) he was basing it on positive reviews from both the CC and the WC (maybe among other reviews) in which they watched him play, as well as describing him as the American Cambiasso. How else do you get high on a player if not from good performances in games you watch?

Besides, this was your question...

I told you how to find those articles and gave you a snippet from one.

14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fair enough - all in all it's good that he is getting positive reviews.

15. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for reminding me of the "Yankee Cambiasso" comment from Gazzetta as translated by Scotty. Always liked that one.

16. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I wouldnt go that far........

Pluck Cambiasso from the 2006 WC team of Argentina and plug in Bradley... I doubt he'd be able to keep up with the fluid quick, smart, short passing game that Argentina were doing that WC.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5W6vBI3mGE"]YouTube - Argentina 25 passes goal[/ame]

He's a great def. mid, but on Cambiassos level?? Not quite...

He'd be a poor mans cambiasso yea.

17. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    In other words a Yankee Cambiasso.

That statement doesn't mean he's Cambiasso's equal.

18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ageed, it's like calling Marko Marin the "German Messi"....:rolleyes:

19. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I put that statement as an equal, but just with red, white, and blue painted under his jersey. I would have put it differently.... like a poor mans cambiasso :p but taht sounds kinda mean... but true IMO. Watching cambiassos class with the NT and River plate when he was with them... he was nothing short of amazing.

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree with this. second half of the season gets guys back and healthy again, this isnt insurmountable. The first half of the season was an abomination, so be it. But 2 wins, thats all. This isnt Fulham Great Escape by any means. Just need teams like St Pauli, Stuttgart, and Cologne to stay cold, and theyre back up in the fight. Smart help their plight, and guys like Nordveit who looked really impressive with Nurnburg will go a long way.

Like i discussed earlier, campaigns like this build leaders. Michael Bradley comes out with much more prestige with his club if he helps maneuver them. This guy has (C) written all over him in a very short amount of time.

21. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    Milan? Wow. They were interested once.

I only heard a rumor tonight about him going to Galatasaray.

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Was there ever a quote from a Milan official that the team were interested?

Looks like Mikey is in for the long haul then.

23. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These 3 may or may not be the saviors Gladbach needs, but they are at least in the right areas of need. Central defense has been a disaster and the strikers have been sporaticly average but generally poor.

If Gladbach can solidify central defense with the new bodies and/or Dante, and return Daems to left back, then the defense might stabilize at something closer to "average", or at least not horrid. That alone might allow Gladbach to claw its way up to 16th (relegation playoff spot).

Any scoring Hanke can provide would be a bonus.

Bradley won't be sold while the team has any chance to avoid relegation. But he'll transfer over the summer if Gladbach do fall. I kind of like the idea of Italy rather than the Premiership; I'd like more reasons to tune into Italian League matches.

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    :rolleyes:

Though, come to think of it, so would I. :eek:

25. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This has nothing to do with his playing ability, but Bradley was very impressive in his Studio 90 stint during the World Cup (right after the England game). He was 4 for 4 in the "Back Four Quiz," and was able to rattle off Italy's starting eleven at the '06 WC. I don't know what this means in the scheme of things, but he's certainly knowledgeable about soccer stuff.