News: Michael Bradley, Geoff Cameron (and more?) comment on Trump's ban

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by naopon, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 naopon, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2017
    Moderator's Note:
    This conversation was pulled from the original thread on Michael Bradley. Please use that thread for discussion his performance on the pitch. We'll try to keep the political discussion out of that one.

Why are we allowing political discussion at all? Well, because this is a forum for news about the national team, and the current captain of that national team has used his position to make some comments about the current administration's policies. Thus it's pertinent and belongs here. We will continue to expect people to mind the rules against personal attacks and we'll continue to delete the general shots at liberals and conservatives. But (as has been the case with discussions about dual nationals, patriotism, etc.) we will provide a place for careful and considered discussion of the issues presented by the captain of the USMNT.

- @bungadiri

SamsArmySam, mbar, Footsatt and 18 others repped this.
  2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I know there is a politics forum but... worthy captain. Well said. Articulately said.

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  4. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I am not going to praise him for saying xenophobia and bigotry are bad. The fact that we are patting him on the back for making such a common sense remark is an indictment on us, not a compliment to him.

5. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I'm glad you agree that what he said was common sense.

6. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still, there are a few soccer fans who will see that and feel a tiny bit better that the national soccer team captain is on their side. And you bet he doesn't give a shit about the apologist trolls badgering him to "stick to sports"

7. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    It would be interesting to see the intersection of Bradley's biggest supporters over the past two years and those would make such remarks on his comment. I would bet two bottles of Citra single hop that it's bigger than we might think.

8. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Props to Bradley for speaking up.

I am sure he's played with and against a great variety of players from all over the world both in Europe and in MLS.

It's good to see him take a stand for acceptance of all people.

Deep Wilcox, DHC1, jackiesdad and 7 others repped this.
  9. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And why does Wahl think it fair to ask Michael that question? How is that fair? And what in the heck does it have to with US soccer? Players play, singers sing, actors act, politicians and political leaders lead. Bizarre and actually an indictment of Wahl.

wixson7, Three and Three, adi21 and 4 others repped this.
  10. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ People will disagree with you, risky because it might derail the thread.

Anyways I'm hoping he starts playing better for the national team. I defended him numerous times over the nepotism claims when Bob was coaching the team. A lot of nonsense at the time. Bradley has been pretty crap for the national team lately. I know some with cite his form with Toronto but I couldn't care less about that. Injury, more time and space in MLS? Confidence? Poor coaching?

Too many turnovers, poor passes. Hoping he has a better 2017. If his poor play continues will Arena bench him? Do we have a better option than him?

11. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I think it's important to demonstrate the breadth of opposition to such stupidity.

chad, Ironbound, Deep Wilcox and 8 others repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Michael Bradley spoke out on the common view which I gotta say its quite impressive as so many middle class types tend to just ignore and be "neutral....we should support the president". which can be quite troubling.

13. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    That's a little righteous.

I hope this means you are in a position to influence people and that you are regularly doing the right thing with that influence. And if you are, I will say thanks and not belittle you for just doing what's right.

Grumpy in LA, ayers and WrmBrnr repped this.
  14. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indictment? You must be one of those #sticktosoccer idiots.

jackiesdad and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, count me as a minority here. I've seen what it's like to live in a Muslim country where jihadism runs rampant. They don't just attack Americans for being "invaders"...in fact, mostly they were too chickenshit to do so. But that didn't stop them from beheading the families and little kids that we tried to help (yet they never showed any form of initiative themselves to fight the people oppressing them). Not what I want here. It may make me not a nice person, but I love my family more than I care to be nice. But of course, people who have been sheltered from war are too naive to see the risk they embrace.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for that statement, but if you want to pat yourself on the back for your righteous character someone needs to give you a counter argument of why this is needed... even if it makes us "not nice people."

16. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Well said. Although Bradley's a rich dude living in Canada now. He was middle class back on that Roma salary. :p

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Bradley understands that the US National Team isn't some disgusting safe space that can be segregated off from the consequences of the real world.

Bradley is a leader of men.

orcrist and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I can understand why direct experience in such a violent place could jade you, but this order targets the families that are trying to get away from that violence, the kind of people that you were trying to help. It targets people that helped he US Army try and keep its servicemen and women alive. It even targets people who have jumped through all the hoops to have legal status here.

Ironbound, Papin, tomásbernal and 11 others repped this.
  19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    well i kinda meant before. Like he grow up in a middle class home and he never said anything too radical. Same with his dad ;)

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    While I do understand and it makes perfect sense your feelings. You have to also ponder the rise of jihadism. A lot of this was simple anti-Western. If we were not so supportive of despots who keep their people down, it wouldn't lend credibility and support to those who see the USA as a "Great Satan" who abandoned them and used them only for oil. Our only desire for regional stability to keep the oil flowing ($$$) doesn't help Joe Average in the region who get tortured for asking why the Prince or Dear Leader has 500 homes while Joe has to sleep in a shack.

deuteronomy, jackiesdad and Winoman repped this.
  21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    That's a good point: this order arguably works against the idea of defeating extremism. We just handed them a golden propaganda tool that says we are exactly what they say we are.

jackiesdad, Winoman, judodono and 4 others repped this.
  22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can say is I'm not willing to risk my family for it. Some people may be willing to risk their families, but my obligation is to protect my family. And, I know how these people fight. The "bad ones" will blend in the populace and force "the good ones" to blow themselves up or kill their families to bring about Shariah law. That's how they fight. They don't believe in a stand up fight. Lord knows I'd love to fight the jihadists in a stand up fight. But, No matter what, there's no ending where those people come here and terrorism doesn't rise with it. I want a leader who is willing to make the hard choices because it's what's best for the citizens of this country.

...I may be a minority who believes that here, but someone needs to voice that it is just not ignorant, baseless hate why people believe this way.

23. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I believe we stand for our values. This ban is an act of cowardice. The threat that this ban tries to mitigate is minimal. Out of all the "terrorist" attacks we've seen - the odds that they hit your or my family are infinitisimally small. This ban betrays our core values at almost no perceived benefit.

Papin, billmead, jackiesdad and 3 others repped this.
  24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's more idealism vs reality. We are not going to ideal these people into adopting the US constitution just like we couldn't ideal these people into adopting Western Democracy. It literally comes at the sacrifice of the safety of our own citizens. I begged and begged these people to fight against the "Ali baba" but they refused. They only cared if it impacted their tribe, and often the reports we got were more one rival tribe against another. This is the level of shortesitedness that lead to the Iraq war to begin with...thinking we were going to be welcomed as liberators and that they would throw down thousands of years of authoritarian rule and accept something they could never comprehend. What this is, is realizing that the Iraq War didn't work so instead of setting ourselves apart; we are just going to import that war to the US.

25. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It might not be baseless hate, but it is pretty ignorant of the facts. Between 1975 - 2015, 3,024 Americans were killed on US soil by foreign terrorists. 2,983 of that total was due to 9/11. So that means that if you exclude 9/11, an average of 1 American per year was killed by foreign terrorists during that time. If you look at just the time after 9/11, 22 Americans were killed over a 14 year period, for an average of 1.5 per year. In the meantime, hundreds of thousands of other foreigners have come on tourist / student / worker visas and improved our economy, advanced our scientific knowledge, and become members of communities. Why deny that to prevent one murder per year?

https://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/terrorism-immigration-risk-analysis

mckersive, chad, tomásbernal and 11 others repped this.