Michael Bradley-Eric Wynalda Confrontation

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by JcUSA, Jul 14, 2011.

1. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    MB really endears himself to a lot of people.... sigh. The whole time I kept reading this article "spoiled brat" kept running through my head.

3. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who has been a pretty adamant defender of Michael, I thought the same thing.

4. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Spoiled brat seems to sum it up pretty well. I am with Wynalda saying others deserve a chance but the Edu-Jones pairing was pretty bad. I'd hope that we can try a Holden-Jones pairing.

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Bradley is wrong.

Now going to sit back and watch this become the ugliest Bradley thread yet.

6. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Bradley is usually a fantastic, hardworking player. He loses this argument. That being said, this article worries me. Losing locker-room cohesion is a serious concern.

Well, it would seem as if Michael does eagerly read up on what his detractors are saying.

7. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One I'd like to see

8. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LOL This is why I love wynalda. He isnt scared to say stuff.

9. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a bubbling story there. The story about Donovan's supposed refusal to back Bob. This confrontation between Bradley and Wynalda. I don't think it'll take too many more instances even loosely suggesting lockerroom trouble for more "derogatory" articles to begin being written.

10. BigMo1234

BigMo1234 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Another blatantly obvious but crucial point:

<<One universal aspect of all players, Wynalda observed, is their need to share frustrations, and at some point they often build camaraderie by complaining about their coach to each other. This can't really be done honestly and openly when the coach's son is on the team.

"That locker room will never be normal," Wynalda said.>>

11. honest trade

honest trade Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly seems that MB feels a sense of entitlement to be one of the starters at CM regardless of club form. He's pretty sensitive about the subject.

12. soonertony

soonertony Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a mess.

If this is even close to accurate, Michael Bradley's behavior and apparent sense of entitlement is shameful.

There was another article after the Gold Cup also, I believe in Soccer America, that had a source saying the players were "miserable."

13. GlryManUtd

GlryManUtd New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ocean County, NJ
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you have a link to the donovan not backing bob story?

as for mikey, im sure hes frustrated. its his old man getting shit, and he has always heard nothing but nepotism remarks. the kid has proved himself on numerous occasions, but cant get rid of that tag. that being said, its no excuse for him to act like this. get some class mike

14. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From goal.com, so take it for what it's worth. Personally, when I read it I believed and probably still do, that the author was gunning for the sensational for the most part.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1679/us-national-team/2011/06/27/2549762/united-states-star-midfielder-landon-donovan-declines-to

Mountains from molehills. But, molehills start to add up, don't they?

15. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, this is how I'd be inclined to take MB's reaction. Not that of a spoiled brat who believes his spot in the 1st 11 is untouchable, but that of a son who's had it up to here with the nepotism bit and the constant criticism of his father and let it get the best of him.

He's 23. So, obviously there's still growing up to do. Wynalda damn sure had growing up to do at 23.

16. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like M Bradley. I believe , at times, he is a work horse, and a decent mid. I haven nothing against him playing under his father, it doesn't concern me.

But, Wynalda has a right to state the obvious, and I'm glad he didn't back down from Michael Bradley.

Michael needs to grow the expletive up.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody should be surprised. Honestly, I've been surprised in the past by the number of people who have taken issue with me even suggesting that the dynamic on the team is ripe for lockerroom trouble (whether or not there actually WAS trouble). A coach with a family member on the team. The family member getting all the playing time (right or wrong .... i'm making zero judgement on that here). The presence of REASONABLE options at that position (notice the use of the word "reasonable" before responding). Said player being a hothead in general, which tends to exacerbate the social issues (i.e. it'd be easier to sit on the bench behind a guy who is REALLY likable as a person). It's not a matter of actual nepotism, but a matter of how it LOOKS to a bunch of guys fighting for the same spots. Perception is reality.

I knew there were major problems after the US/Brazil game in Jersey late last year. The team dynamic is really skewed. I watched Bradley walk off the field at halftime, while absolutely screaming down the throat of Bornstein and couldn't help but think to myself about what JB must have felt. If he responds in kind, what does he think will happen? Is it going to affect playing time? Will I be ostracized by the coaching staff? I could see the look on JB's face, and it wasn't pretty ... but he just took it. That whole system is breaking. I've long said that the best thing for Mike would be if Bob were sent packing. It'd quiet down all the potential whispers and make people at least FEEL like the right guy is on the field, even if it is the SAME guy. That'd go a long way towards team unity.

18. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is confirmation that Bob Bradley has lost the locker room. And Wynalda is dead on right. For one, MB didn't play well in the previous game, and his lack of playing time really does put MB below a lot of starting central mids, namely Feilhaber, Torres, Jones, and Edu.

And secondly, Wynalda is right that Micheal should grow the F--- up. Great Micheal, are you gonna confront every reporter who rightfully critiques you? You just opened a can of something you don't possibly want to deal with. If you go nuts every time this happens, believe me, sports writers are going to be absolutely merciless with you, just for the lolz (and pagehits).

I agree here. Furthermore, it seems that Bob Bradley is intent on giving his son the start every single time. It's dysfunctional, and it's eroding team cohesion.

We need to get rid of Bob Bradley, faster than right now if at all possible.

19. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, I think ALL of us have wanted to grab Bornstein by the shoulders and scream at him at the top of our lungs at some point or maybe even right now. Jus' saying.

But this dynamic may be the reason behind a lot of the USA's dysfunction. Nobody wants to say Bradley should sit because his dad is the coach. Noboby can fire back at Micheal. And something tells me that some good players that can contribute (Convey, perhaps) got themselves in a doghouse for doing just that.

20. ignatz brick

ignatz brick Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid of him to do but what a ridiculous ass-pained article. I can't believe they compared it to the Algerian player hitting a female reporter. Besides -- taking such umbrage at media opinion is a new low for Michael Bradley -- we all know that's not true. ;)

So yes, he should grow the f--- up, and SI should unclutch its pearls over a player and a journalist arguing. At least it's happening off the pitch and no one is getting carded for it.

21. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    unacceptable behavior of course. MB is in a very difficult situation and i think the main problem is that BB, in an assumed effort trying to help his son (a natural thing), has not even given other combinations a chance. add in that BB often cites club form and MB hasnt even been sniffing the pitch with his club side for a while now yet it hasnt impacted his starting role or playing time.

everyone, like MB, thinks they deserve to start or else they shouldnt be on the team in the first place - its on the coach to determine the right lineups based on their criteria which should be blind to blood relation. i put this entire predicament on BB and the awkward position in which he has placed MB.

if had just given other combinations more of a chance - and not just who could play best with MB - but entirely new combinations, this whole situation would have been avoided...unless of course, the new combos proved better which would have opened up a whole different can of worms for BB. but at least then we'd be at a tipping point for a decision/action on the direction of this team.

22. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they should, but they won't. They will milk Micheal as a LOLcow. Believe me, before the Mexico match they will question his ability and his fathers coaching, just for the chance at more "Confrontation". Drama makes for pagehits.

If he has an outburst to a larger reporter, expect to see Micheal Bradley brought up on Cowherd or PTI or whatnot. Then the vultures will pick his bones clean.

The best solution is for Micheal Bradley to shut up and also maybe, just maybe, try and improve the quality of his lousy play.

23. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe MB is one of the best players we have. But I also believe that he's got a little bit of a sense of entitlement that he's going to need to lose. I think we've got a systemic issue of this throughout our pool, as any player with a bit of talent is praised to the heavens here and everywhere else from the youth level on up. They never learn that they're not God's gift until well into their careers.

I also believe there's some fire behind all this smoke, and I hope Sunil has something planned.

24. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    It must be tough for the players knowing that they have to step on egg shells when it comes to complaining about the coach.

I think the quote from Berhalter reflects whats happening in the locker room and results. You can tell how the team plays regardless of result that something is not quite right. Something is lacking and I'm sure it comes from the trust in the coach.

25. Namrog The Just

Namrog The Just Member+

L.A. Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 2, 2007
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes Mike, what we're you thinking? You need to get a thicker skin young man. Wynalda didn't exactly crucify you.