Michael Bradley at Gladbach VI [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Lascho, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Given how consistently wrong you have been about Bradley, maybe he IS Xavi.

It's kind of amazing how often you are off the mark, actually.

How did that whole attitude problem thing work out?

The pass to Rico was completed. It was not a great pass, but if Rico swings it left, or taps it back to Bradley, it's innocuous.

If Bradley had done with that pass what Rico did, your head would explode with indignant rage ... come to think of it, too bad it wasn't Mikey. Kidding. Kiddingggggg.

1 person likes this.
  2. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    more of a generic "you", but feel free to answer (which you did).

If Arsenal came with a bid that M'bach agreed to, do you think MB would reject it?? im not so sure. For a lot of players, a move to a club like arsenal is a dream come true. Still, MB has made some wise decisions on movement (though i seem to recall everyone screaming about his move to M'bach :) )

IF offered im not sure what MB would do

3. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabregas? He's an 87.

I agree that the Bundesliga is underrated on this board. The only reason I may be skeptical of him staying is that he has stated a preference for the English League. Top clubs in the English Premier League are notorious for getting the players they want. Although the EPL's influence could start to decline if they regulate foreign players and continue on a high risk finance model.

Personally, I believe Mike should go to a bigger Bundesliga team, but I think he could excel in the English league. The fact that Bradley has played in the Dutch and German leagues at a young age will only make him succeed more in the Premier League. After this World Cup I have really reconsidered how good the English Premier League is. A lot of the best players so far have been from different more evenly matched leagues.

4. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia

Ronaldo was 18 or 19 when Man U bought him, of course he wasn't going to start every game for them. 19 and 22 are drastically different in football years. You know how many professional games Ronaldo had played in his career when Man U bought him? 25. Of course he's not expected to be an every day starter at that point. Same with O'shea being brought up through the ranks. Once again, you're missing the point. Not walking in and being an every day starter does not mean you're a "developmental project". Chicharito is not going to start every game this season and I doubt they view him as a finished product but I doubt they view him as some project that will take years to pan out.
    As I stated before I'm pretty sure this is semantics. Developmental project to me is someone like Marvelle Wynne, talented but is extremely raw. Some team conceivably takes a chance on him knowing they can probably get him for very little money and hopes that with some extra work his skills begin to match his athleticism. Then there's "walk in and start" players which are your obvious stars. What I'm saying is there is a level between this where the player is not a finished star yet but has a good enough body of work where a manager is comfortable having him in the starting rotation at some point during the season...This is where Bradley falls in my eyes.

5. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Bundesliga:
    Bargfrede: Werder
    Reinartz: Leverkusen
    Rakitic: Schalke
    Moritz: Schalke
    Khedira: Stuttgart
    Träsch: Stuttgart
    Sahin: Dortmund
    Bender: Dortmund
    Luiz Gustavo: Hoffenheim
    Kacar: Hertha
    Schwegler: Frankfurt
    Pezzoni: Cologne
    Gündogan: Nürnberg
    Flum: Freiburg

I left out players like Özil who aren't comparable to Bradley.

1 person likes this.
  6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. I had just started opening the squad list pages on budesliga.de/en

7. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    This.

Like Bradley possibly going to Man U, it might never work out for Chicharito. But obviously with time and DEVELOPMENT, both sides hope it does. How MUCH time is needed is anyone's guess.

Same could be said for Bradley. He took more than 1/2 of the first season to establish himself as a starter for BM, and even briefly lost his starting spot early in his 2nd year.

He'll likely STILL not a 100%, play-without-question starter for BM...a few bad performances in a row, and they likely will still backbench him.

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No, I am comparing a player that had a similar type career path, not one vs. the other, who is better match. Instead of saying a mega star youngster Ronaldo who is brought in a at a young age or a common squad player John O' Shea who has been with United his whole career and who fills multiple positions.

Carrick is a player that has moved on and graduated upward to higher clubs along the way. Carrick went from WHU to Spurs to United over about a 6-7 year period.

Bradley is on a similar trajectory, started about a year earlier, going from Metrostars to Hereveen to BMG to ???????????. He has potentially another year or two to spare before he is Carrick's age/point of a career when he went to Manyoo.

Carrick was one of the best midfielders outside the big 4 clubs when he went to United. Once there, he had to prove that he could play in that environment. Bradley would have to do the same thing.

As for being English in the Premiership, that tends to overrate a young player, their status and value. Remember Paul Robinson, the savior of English goalkeepers?

9. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    I seriously can not remember ever seeing him pass the ball with his left, nor the outside of his right foot. I've seen him play a lot.

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    17. He arrived the same year Tim Howard did at United.

11. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that could be said about nearly any player... STILL, i agree that MB isnt a finished product and would take time to crack the lineup (if ever). Again i personally would rather see him stick it out with M'bach as a starter and fight his way through Bundesliga

12. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just to squash this point right now. 3:28 minute

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roYOpC8T_JM"]YouTube- Inside The Pro presents: Michael Bradley[/ame]

pass with the left foot. Therefore it is proven that he can in fact pass with his left.

13. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    I think he had to be 18. He is an '85 and arrived at Man U in '03. His birthday is in February so he would've been 18 by the end of the '02-'03 season. Irrelevant though haha.

14. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    So outside of the foot passing is now a necessary part to being a good player? To me when people use the outside of their right foot to pass the ball it usually means they have a terrible left foot and hit with the outside right to get the same spin a left footed pass would have.

15. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also at the 1:40 minute, another left and the 1:46 minute, another left

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKZKrX6iaTk&feature=related"]YouTube- Michael Bradley[/ame]

first 2 MB clips i clicked on YT

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some minds think alike :D Bradley scored w/ his left foot vs Barbados in 2008....

17. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    omg

18. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    the step that is missing for Bradley is that he needs to play the 1-2 years for "Tottenham" (a la Carrick) or for Borussia in Germany and prove that he is one of the top midfielders outside of big 4. Bradley hasn't done that yet, and that would be a great 'next step' for him.

I repeat, Bradley was NOT that good at BM last year. He was ok. And on the basis of the 4 game set at the WC, you guys have him going to Man United or Arsenal and quickly establishing himself as a starter? That simply doesn't compute. If it were that easy, Landon Donovan would have ripped up Bayer Leverkusen upon his returns after the 2002 World Cup. After all, he was great at the WC 2002...don't you guys remember?

19. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Your counterpoint is certainly intriguing. This whole thread you've been making sweeping generalizations and are being combative. I say one thing which I clearly stated as my opinion and you act like I must be an idiot. Please elucidate why my opinion is obviously so off.

20. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    OMG do you even read what people are saying?

21. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    again, has anyone said he'd "quickly" establish himself as a starter?? Im not saying you are wrong, someone might have actually said it, but i dont recall. Most people know that if he goes to a top team in any of the top leagues that he'll be fighting for his spot, but its unlikely he'd crack the starting XI by the end of the year. More likely he might find himself some PT here and there, maybe a start in a cup match.

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. On the basis of Ives/internet rumors and Wenger's statements posters are connecting Bradley with Arsenal. If you were only saying that he "needs" another year at Gladbach b/f moving that'd be one thing. Instead, you've gratuitously bashed his passing ability and ceded your credibility.

23. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, apparently you don't.

24. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, only your delusional little mind has inserted this exaggeration (how can you not understand that exaggeration is not productive?). My biggest reason for wanting him to go to Arsenal, Man U, etc. is because he would have to fight just to earn playing time, let alone starting.

I keep bringing up the Arena thread (yes it started as a question but you made your opinion well known) because these are two glaring example where you ARE THE ONLY ONE arguing a point against EVERYONE ELSE. You really think that you are the soccer messiah come to educate all of us fools?

25. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oi! Time to start a new Michael Bradley thread. This one is over 1000 posts and angst ridden, to boot.

First one to do it gets to choose the new title.