Michael Bradley at Gladbach VI [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Lascho, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

Dempsey was equally as good as landon. Howard wasn't that good.

2. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly, most would agree Howard was overrated, here. Few would suggest Dempsey was as good as Donovan. Regardless, this stuff belongs in another thread.
    It was great to see kicker rate MB that high and him to be considered one of the better young players in the WC.

3. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    i would agree on both counts; dempsey was BETTER than donovan, and this stuff does belong in a better thread.

4. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Guess Dempsey shouldn't think about transferring to Germany.

The Italians seem to like him though.

5. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Torfabrik is a 'Gladbach-specific site, so I don't know that they will be doing ratings for this sort of thing.

6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was a tounge-in-cheek remark. Humor, you know. haha kind of thing. That Torfabrik would usually grade Bradley with a little more generosity than Kicker for BL matches.

7. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germans need some help understanding the whole "haha" thing :p

I got that joke. But was someone joking earlier when they said they thought Dempsey had a better tournament than Landon? Perhaps a good topic to debate in USA Men. Cause I totally disagree.

8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a joke but I don't think they meant to be funny. ;)

9. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I ain't German, chief. Sorry if I don't always catch the sarcasm in a typed statement. I'm sure I'm the first who's ever made that mistake.

Someone also said they thought Jozy was the best player for the U.S. in the tournament. Am I missing the joke in that one as well?

1 person likes this.
  10. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Kicker generally tends to give better ratings to keepers. There are usually 7 or 8 keepers in their top ten of the season; maybe you could discount 0.5 from their keeper ratings on average to be fair to field players.

Don't want to kill a dead joke, and they won't do ratings here of course, but two or three Torfabrik writers are in South Africa, and I expect them to analyze Bradley's and Matmour's tournament performance in the next days. They did an interview with Matmour during the group stage, looks like they didn't get to talk to Michael.

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is Bradley going back to Gladbach in a few weeks?

12. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure looks like it.;)

13. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not according to BigSoccer.

14. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's just stopping there to pack up his things and say goodbye before he moves on to Barcelona.

15. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source? Link to an article? Did you talk to him? or a relative? How does this "BigSoccer" character know these things? I dont believe everything I read especially if it comes from a shady character named "BigSoccer"

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I was making a joke at our own expense since we've waded through more than one kicker vs torfabrik rating silliness. Perhaps I should have added a ;) or something.

17. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I was 100% playing with that post, didn't mean to offend. Didn't even know if you were German or not, but the joke was just teed up there for me and I couldn't resist :eek:

18. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No big deal. I wasn't really offended. I don't usually use "ain't" or call people "chief", so you weren't meant to take it too seriously, not that you could really know that.

1 person likes this.
  19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I have a random feeling that something big is in the works for Michael Bradley this open season. I'm reminded that there were reports that Manchester United were interested in Bradley.

20. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I will say this: every time a player of ours is linked with a big club, there will be a sizable contingent that will dismiss the rumors as laughable or typical tabloid nonsense. But, in just about every case there has proven to be something behind them.

Onyewu's name was linked to several big clubs at one point. Then, inspite of the skepticism expressed about that, he ended up at Milan, and we later learned that other big clubs like Inter were bidding on him as well.

When Bayern was reported as having attempted to get Donovan on loan in the prior transfer window, several German posters dismissed those reports on this forum. And he ended up going on loan during the following transfer window.

When Jozy was reported to have interest from Real Madrid, he ended up being purchased by the club that finished 2nd in La Liga that season.

I know Everton's not in that same class, but just about all of the interest that Everton was reported to have in a number of our players (Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley, etc.) have been more or less confirmed by David Moyes in one way or another.

The point is, I'm not sure made-up transfer news about American players actually generates enough interest to make sense. For the most part, as far as American soccer players are concerned, it would appear that if there's smoke there's fire.

1 person likes this.
  21. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I haven't been part of this crowd and didn't read these threads, but I assume the point was that he wasn't what Bayern really needed. At least that's what came out in the end.

22. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Nah. I was here for that, and the point was "who the hell is Steven Goff and what could he possibly know about who Bayern are pursuing?"

23. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Good point, but has there really been anything remotely substantial? Ives had a "hunch," Wenger and Moyes thought he was a good player. They think a lot of players are good players. All of this kind of seems self-generated, like, now that he's had a pretty good WC, people "must" be interested.

24. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    No there's been nothing substantial from Arsenal or Man United. But there have been rumors about both, and my point was that in the past when there have been rumors linking big clubs to American players, they've usually turned out to be at least somewhere in the ballpark of reality.

I'm simply saying, don't completely dismiss the Bradley rumors just because they haven't been substantiated yet.

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I think is fairly substantial from Jack Bell in Feb 09, considering he actually quoted Sir Alex Ferguson.

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/14/bradley-completes-a-trans-atlantic-hat-trick/

Is there anyone out there who still believes that Bradley’s place on the United States national team is because of nepotism? And where do you think he might end up next season if ‘Gladbach is relegated? On a trip to Manchester, England, last January, Manager Sir Alex Ferguson told me “we’re watching the boy.” Hmmmm.

If Sir Alex kept watching...then he was watching one of best midfielders in the tournament.

His numbers support that as well.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/players/distanceandspeed.html

He's 1st in the tournament in distance covered

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/players/defending.html

He has the 2nd most tackles in the tournament, tied for 2nd in Tackles Gaining possession, tied for 3rd in Balls Recovered

He also rates pretty good in both passes attempted and completed. He completed 80% of his medium range passes, I mean Xabi Alonso completed 81% - while attempting just like 10 more, and Xavi at 83%.

This kid is an OUTSTANDING box-to-box midfielder...and those are rarities. I just don't see how any team that's looking for a central midfielder, at least wouldn't give him a long, hard look.