Pre-match: MiB Round of 16. Columbus Crew vs Minnesota United 8pm 7/28

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big J 0526, Jul 23, 2020.

?

Result?

Poll closed Jul 28, 2020.
  1. Crew win in regular time

88.4%
  2. Crew win in extra time / pk's

7.0%
  3. Minnesota wins in extra time / pks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Minnesota wins in regular time

4.7%
  1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    None of the keepers in last nights 2 matches were very intimidating in the shootouts. I wish Tarbell had left his line early and saved a PK, even if it was retaken, just to mess with the shooters.

2. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, the new rule is part of *one* foot on the line, not two.

DGA57v2 and TRUJDUB repped this.
  3. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    That is correct. I'm disappointed they're not allowed to start in goal so the jump ahead takes them to the line.

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No hate--but a guy like Zack would have had a chance on the PKs--and Room might have had more of a chance than Tarbell. Tarbell is an adequate backup. He was fine in the other games. But to win cups, especially in a knockout where the keeper can steal one, you need a bit better at that position.

TracieB and TRUJDUB repped this.
  5. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Well, you can have Clark who cost us MLS Cup and almost allowed Kentucky FC to go through. Yes, he did save a PK in a shootout that should have never happened. In this tournament, Tarbell looked much better than Room. Room had three saves in the first game and gave a long rebound on one and fumbled another one. He faced no shots in the next game but allowed a near post "shot" go across the goal line. Tarbell then faced a bunch of shots, mostly late, against Atlanta and made two crucial saves. The gap between the two is much closer than what you guys seem to believe.

CybrSlydr, TRUJDUB, zman31 and 1 other person repped this.
  6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you may be reading something into my comments. I did say "adequate". That's far from "s*cks". It is, of course, possible that Room is just "adequate" as well, in which case we'll be challenged to win the cup. But it's too soon to tell. If he had that injury issue before the tourney, that might explain things a bit. Zack, of course, was better than "adequate", which is why he's no longer here.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we all just agree he's better than Noah Palmer?

8. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True.

I wonder how people would rate our keeper the only year we won MLS Cup. I liked Hesmer much as the next guy, but he was no Steffen. Adequate seems harsh. You being someone who appreciates Wobegon references, I'd say he was "above average." Yet good enough to win a championship because of the overall strength of the roster.

It seems to me, with keepers, you have guys who just aren't skillful enough; then guys with the necessary physical skills, but their mental game is poor; then guys with solid physical skills and a pretty good mental game, but they are still good for a howler or two a year, or the occasional irredeemable decision to show off their balls skills in the back, make a stupid pass, or wander too far upfield, leading to an easy goal by the opposition; then guys like Steffen who have great skills and rarely make a mental mistakes.

I've said it before, and of course it's an entirely unprovable statement, that the only reason Berhalter became usmnt head coach is because of Zach Steffen. With a Clark, or a Room or aTarbell in goal, we'd never have beaten Atlanta in 2017 or D.C. In 2018. Those playoff runs never would have happened. Steffen was remarkable for us those two seasons. But he's also an extremely rare exception in MLS. Room may not be in Steffen's class, but he's certainly in MLS's (or Hesmer's).

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Adequate" is not harsh--and I also noted that he "was fine in the other games". I'm pointing out, however, that you usually need an exceptional performance in goal, at some point in the season--and especially in the playoffs, to win a cup. It's like pitching in baseball. Now, are there exceptions? Sure. Bayern could put a tackling dummy in goal and win most of their games (not that Neuer isn't good--but he's not the best in Germany, IMHO). The Big Red Machine didn't have great pitching. But often you need that one special save in a tournament setting. We did not advance mostly because their keeper made a save and ours didn't. Against Atlanta, for example, a couple of years back, the reverse was true.

10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get a chuckle whenever I see some writer going on about "giving Horvath a shot" or Sean Johnson or even Brad Guzan ( who seems to feel like he's being robbed) and of course there's always someone yammering about Bill Hamid.

But as long as Berhalter has that job and Steffen can stand upright, there's just no question. Not, as some people say, out of loyalty from back in CBus, but because he's seen on a daily basis what the guy can do; the other gk's are good at the job but Steffen is a very very special talent who is still -at 24 hes still a couple years younger than Friedel was when he was in CBus, let alone Liverpool - just scratching the surface of what he can do.

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    We need more than one keeper as much as I love Steffen. Schedule congestion is going to be crazy for a few years.

12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably so, although as long as Ederson stays healthy, Steffen won't be overused. He may get some cup games and such but mostly he's just sitting around molding.

13. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody remember off-hand the last time the Crew played a match in which nobody earned Grouchy Points?