Pre-match: MiB Round of 16. Columbus Crew vs Minnesota United 8pm 7/28

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big J 0526, Jul 23, 2020.

?

Result?

Poll closed Jul 28, 2020.
  1. Crew win in regular time

88.4%
  2. Crew win in extra time / pk's

7.0%
  3. Minnesota wins in extra time / pks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Minnesota wins in regular time

4.7%
  1. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Minnesota has 2 (3) ties this season, let’s cool it on the praise.

They played scared and never tried to win tonight. I would be embarrassed as a Minnesota fan with that effort.

2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Why wasn't that a red card? It looked studs up but I didn't see the replay.

3. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Enjoyed getting to watch the Crew again. Even in a frustrating game like tonight.

4. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    Seems like 1-2 goals per game is going to be the norm again short of opponents like FCC playing horrendous defense. That won't get it done.

5. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    disappointed in the extreme.

6. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No urgency to the ball movement. Loons packed in early and often. We out posssed them to death but only becuase they just sat back and waited for us to turn it over in the final 3rd. And boy did we turn it over. Zelarayan and Sanch each had too many to count. Even Nagbe coughed it up several times. Glad we got equalizer but was not feeling good about PKs. If it were Room or even better Steffen, it would have been a win. Shoot both would have likely made the save on their goal.

Still unbeaten in regulation. I'll take that all day. But I was looking for that killer instinct early in 2nd half and it just wasn't there. I also think we will be a very tough team to beat of we score first, but and easy team to defend if the opponent scores first and then bunkers.

Pauncho repped this.
  7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could give a long technical explanation, but truthfully, it just wasn't that bad of a foul.

8. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can’t believe Cincinnati lasted longer than us

hangthadj repped this.
  9. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    The Crew’s season is over, but Gregg Berhalter wore a Crew Union T-shirt on TV, so let’s get our priorities straight.

hangthadj repped this.
  10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was never able to locate any real excitement for this tournament. Mildly disappointed the Crew's run is over, but in the greater context of my life, I'd be lying if I said I really cared all that much.

Fake tournament played in soulless conditions... I applaud the players, coaches and staff across the league who've put their private lives on hold for weeks to take part in this. But, for me, 2020 just feels like a lost season. I just hope we're able to watch live games with fans by 2021.

Tobias C, TRUJDUB and hangthadj repped this.
  11. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only due to TV. This should make us all feel better. Pretty good chance for FCC to take the game.

12. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    That goal was so open, Wondo could have missed it in a World Cup.

(I still am and will always be bitter about that.)

TKyle and TRUJDUB repped this.
  13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #263 Bill Archer, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Most of them have been there since June 22. It's not exactly the siege of Sevastapol. Playing golf, splashing around in the pool, playing video games with teammates and kicking soccer balls for a couple hours a day is not hardship duty.

Miss your family? Sure, for those who are married, although come on; my wife was away during grad school a couple times for longer than that. We talked on the phone, the kids barely noticed and somehow, we didn't need therapy. At this point it's been a little over four weeks. Their "sacrifice" and "hardship" is not exactly biblical.

What kind of a p*ssy can't be away from his girlfriend for a couple weeks without becoming an object of pity.

And what is it exactly that makes this a "fake" tournament. Some teams played some games, gradually some are getting eliminated. Shall I make a list of all the tournaments around the globe which are contested exactly the same way? Are they all "fake"? Did Columbus not actually play Minnesota last night? Was the game "fake"?

How about the fact that Columbus is walking away with 9 freakin points towards the Supporters Shield? Is that "fake" too?

MFRONE and LaMacchia repped this.
  14. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah i fell asleep before halftime

15. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    Minnesota shut down the passing lanes very effectively. The defended well. Columbus did not have an answer.

Bill Archer repped this.
  16. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our wing play wasn't up to the task. Minny denied Nagbe the ball which should have meant the outside was wide.open but they weren't able to exploit it. Not a coincidence Caleb pulled Diaz at the half but Etienne can't seem to find much traction. Afful wasn't much help either, but again Cadden wasnt an.improvement.

Some of you guys ha e been very hard on Mokhtar but boy did we need him yesterday.

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We needed Room too. Tarbell is adequate. But adequate in goal does not often win trophies (unless you have Lewandowski playing forward).

Pauncho, Bill Archer and TRUJDUB repped this.
  18. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah i fell asleep before halftime
    I wasn’t happy with his production relative to his contract much LIke Pedro the first two years. I like him but he is a back uP role player with experience and limited upside potential

19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Leaving aside the hilariousness of this keyboard commando feeling so aggrieved that he needs to insinuate that the players might be pussys, there is a bigger question at play here...

Who suggested that the 9 points towards the Supporters Shield regular season standings were fake? Anyone? Bueller?

Even the most ardent defenders of this tournament had shrugged their shoulders at the making up the rules as we go nature of this tournament. The oddly weighted initial groups. The changes after two teams dropped out.

I mean everyone, especially those in the MLS offices know that this tournament was mainly designed to get MLS in front of as many eyes as possible as other sports leagues were not yet back to the playing field. And, maybe it succeeded more than regular MLS broadcasts in the initial stages when the Black Lives Matter protests and players/coaches kneeling grabbed headlines. After that you had announcers actually apologizing to viewers for how dull and uninspired the play was in some matches. The first two knockout round games were panned for their lack of intensity, and last night Columbus Crew was panned for the lack of brains on the sideline.

Sure there is a CCL appearance at stake. If you threw 100 random MLS fans together in a room I doubt you could find 10 who would be able to tell you the MLS CCL representatives from the last 2 seasons. Judging by the performance of the players these first few knockout round games that doesn't seem to be the most enticing carrot either.

I don't know. Fake tournament played in soulless conditions that failed to capture the imagination of even the regular MLS target audience seems pretty accurate to me.

But as virtually everyone has said, I'll also take the 9 points from the group stage. Here's to hoping that their is something resembling a season for those to count towards.

20. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    Yes, we were not as deep as we hoped. Injuries made a big difference.

TKyle and Bill Archer repped this.
  21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is, in this league, due to the pseudo-cap.

22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Our answer was to wander aimlessly off the ball, take too many touches and move the ball at a slow pace. Don't forget our clever corner kick.

CybrSlydr and Bill Archer repped this.
  23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I imagine that’s what it’s like when people are watching e-sports and there is an unexpected glitch in the game.

puttputtfc, ColumbusFTW and zman31 repped this.
  24. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I just don't give a shit. I mean, the supporters shield in 20-********ing-20? In some cobbled together season that'll see teams play an unknown number of games, unless they don't. Probably in empty stadiums.

What MLS has been managing to pull off in Orlando is pretty impressive as a logistical exercise. It's also, to me, just not very interesting or entertaining. I thought that my interest in the tournament might ramp up as it approached. That didn't happen. Maybe it will if teams start playing matches in their home markets in a month. Maybe not. YMMV.

hangthadj repped this.
  25. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    I'm trying to figure out all the hate on Tarbell. You guys really think he could have done better on the goal? Hard bounce on a wet surface off his hands into the roof of the net. The PK's are always a crap shoot. Two went down the middle and he chose his right side on four after going left on the other. With the new rule of staying with both feet on the line, it takes a Cadden style PK to get a save. Minnesota hit everything hard down the middle or into the corner.