Pre-match: MiB Matchday 3 - Crew vs Atlanta 8:30pm ESPN 2

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big J 0526, Jul 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Result?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2020.
  1. Crew win by 2 or more aka Caleb Porter Masterclass

50.0%
  2. Crew win by 1

33.3%
  3. Draw

5.6%
  4. Crew lose by 1

5.6%
  5. Crew lose by 2 or more aka Coachbot 9000 disasterclass

5.6%
  1. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed.

While I would also like to see what the FCKY reject can do, I’d start Zardes and give Adi the keys at the 60 minute mark, or after halftime if the game is well in hand. See my post above re: a week off, “regular season”, etc.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  2. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see no need to rotate for rotation's sake. If Nagbe or anyone else says they can go at least 60 and feel good, start them.

TrueCrew, TRUJDUB and TKyle repped this.
  3. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lose by two, bitches. This is Adam f*cking Jahn we're talking about. And JJ Williams! Surely if anyone knows how to beat the Crew defense it's these two wonder-strikers!

DrunkandDisorderly and redi44crew repped this.
  4. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like Amro Tarek knew exactly how to stop the Crew attack. I'm with you!

TRUJDUB and redi44crew repped this.
  5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While info is, as we know, hard to come by, JJ the Wonder Striker came on in stoppage time and promptly took a savage attempt to destroy someones knee earning him the easiest red Ive seen in a long time. It was punk, stupid and unprofessional as hell.

It was literally his first appearance for the Utd, and quite possibly the last.

So I gotta think hes out.

6. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, then, shit. Next man up! Gallagher, Jon, I'm looking at, no no I'm looking for, you!

7. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine Josh Williams and Aboubacar Keita could handle the likes of *checks notes* ...Adam Jahn

8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a shame that Vito wont be in there. One angry look from him and your boy there would poop his pants.

TRUJDUB and TKyle repped this.
  9. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mommy, Mommy!

10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    That's a screw job from MLS if we can't possibly play a third place team, even if we win all 3 group matches and have the best goal differential in the field.

stanger repped this.
  11. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    My gut says to roll out the full lineup for the first half or up to 60 minutes. If they can score the first goal again or at least get Atlanta's starters tired, then sub out Zardes, Zelarayan, Nagbe, and Mensah and have them fresh for the knockout round. All of them have replacements capable of preserving a lead and matching up with Atlanta's winded starters. They're also all better than what Atlanta has available to sub in. I'd like to get all 3 points, but at a minimum they need to get 1. If Room can't go, I'd prefer Lampson in goal just based on him having more starting experience.

I'm still of the opinion that our first knockout round opponent will be a very favorable matchup regardless of how Group D shakes out. Minnesota, SKC and RSL have all looked very beatable. Our path to the final from there also looks to be pretty nice. The Quakes won Group B which could put Seattle on the opposite side of the bracket. If that holds true, then TFC, Sounders, Timbers and LAFC will all be playing each other to get to the final, while our toughest matchup before the final would likely be tonight's loser (Philly or Orlando) in the semis.

zman31 repped this.
  12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I still like Adam Jahn but I want his team to lose tomorrow.

Tobias C and redi44crew repped this.
  13. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    redi44crew repped this.
  15. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You absolutely start Nagbe , what’s the word on Room ? And the other injured players thst we haven’t seen yet ? Francis and or Valenzuela would be nice to have back on the pitch especially Milton.

a week to rest for the semi final if it’s the 28th is still more than enough.

16. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I thought 16 teams advanced (e.g. it's a round of 16, then a quarter final, then a semifinal) - was I wrong in my thinking?

TRUJDUB repped this.
  17. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct. Top 2 in each group + the 4 best 3rd place teams.

TRUJDUB and redi44crew repped this.
  18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong about it being a semifinal, but he’s right on the date. If we win the group, it is the 28th next time out.

redi44crew repped this.
  19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a bracket. It is predetermined before play begins. Not re-seeded after every round.

redi44crew repped this.
  20. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    Here's the bracket for knockouts. We're the presumptive Group E winner. Tomorrow will determine final standings for Group C and thus who plays Philly on our side of the bracket. If the goal is to have the easiest path to the final, we'd want TFC to draw or beat the Revs and DCU to lose to Montreal. That would ensure both Toronto and Seattle are in the opposite side of the bracket. Screenshot_20200720-222941.jpg

redi44crew and Bill Archer repped this.
  21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Group D winners & Group A winners (Orlando) have the easiest paths, on paper, as they get runners-up, not group winners, in the R16.

Still, I am not scared of Minny (sans Opara) RSL, or SKC.

San Jose is tough & legit good. We will need all our horses for that one. They are a unique team in terms of their man marking.

In terms of tomorrow, if Nagbe was just cramps, I play him for 55-60. He & Artur & Zelarayan have not played much together. I have no problem building sone chemistry. Especially with a full week off until the next game.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  22. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    Without going too far off topic, I'd somewhat disagree on the first part. Not all the groups are equal nor have they all played out as I believe Garber intended. I'm fairly certain that Garber set up this bracket under the assumption that the Sounders would win their group. Instead, that game of B2 vs F2 (Orlando's quarterfinal opponent) could very well be Seattle vs LAFC.

You may be right in my underestimating San Jose. They can score goals in bunches. Crew haven't yet seen a team that can do that in this tournament, and they won't tomorrow either. The Quakes also seemed to contain Seattle offensively, although part of me thinks that could be attributable to greater familiarity. Regardless, I like how we sit currently. You'd have to love our chances if TFC, LAFC, Seattle, Portland and Orlando are all playing each other before they get to us.

23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My comment on the easiest path 'on paper' was meant to mean regardless of how things play out group to group.

In other words, without knowing who finishes where, which group winner would you want to be? Answer: A or D (no group winner in QF).

Which one would you least want to be? Answer: E or F (no chance of playing a 3rd place team in the 16s).

Yeah, if a powerhouse team finishes 2nd/3rd in a group, or if lots of the heavies end up on one side of the bracket, then that changes the calculation. As you point out, we could be in pretty decent shape once things shake out.

24. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hotlanta has 2 guys sitting out with Red Cards. Josef is rehabbing. Any other notable players missing?

25. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're gonna win today
    And we're gonna cause a scene

WhiteHartShame, CybrSlydr and TRUJDUB repped this.