Miazga!

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Zamphyr, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-...rise-with-red-bulls-and-us-u20s-is-astounding

Good summary article

Soooo, he's pretty much being inked into the Olympic squad if you Youth Nats threads.

Upcoming games:
    Friendlies (in England)
    Sept. 3 vs England
    Sept 8 vs Qatar
    Probably a camp before these 2.

Olympic Qualifying Matches:
    Group Stage
    Oct 1 (@KC)
    Oct 3 (@KC)
    Oct 6 (@Col)
    Semi - Oct 10 (@RSL)
    Final (or 3rd) - Oct 13 (@RSL)
    Camp before ? Probably

So we've got a camp followed by overseas Thurs-Tues games, followed by another camp and 5 games in 2 weeks.

What he may miss:
    August 30 v. DC (play then leave after ?)
    Sept. 25 v. Orl (play then leave after ?)
    Oct 3 v. Clb
    Oct 7 v. Mon
    Oct 14 @ Tor
    and if he's tired or knocked around Oct 18 v. Phi

So win now RedBull, because October's gonna hurt. :)

Assuming he gets the call up.

kokoplus10 and EvanJ repped this.
  2. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll lose him for early October.

Good luck with Olympic qualifying Matt!

goindownsouth repped this.
  4. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First up for Miazga: Thursday, Oct 1st. 9PM in KC v. Canada

http://www.concacaf.com/category/olympics-qualifying-men/game-detail/240047

Play each team once.

US/Canada/Panama/Cuba

Top 2 advance to semis. Winners of semis go to finals (and Olympics!)
    Winner of 3rd place match goes to playoff with Colombia for Olympic spot.

2016 Olympics in Brazil.

For those who think this should be easy, we DNQ 2 of the last 3 (2004, 2012)

kokoplus10 and EvanJ repped this.
  5. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  7. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #7 Woodrow, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    The short answer is they all are. Every player of any talent is looking to play in the big time. Whether he sincerely wants to go to Europe now or is just angling for a bigger contract, even talking it up is a way to get some attention.

Wahl is a solid writer, usually pretty accurate, but he does have his own slants that are especially evident here.
    Nelson played a long time for Blackburn, as well as Tottenham and QPR, and would surely know quite a few people in the UK. OTOH, I don't know how that conflates into all of Europe. I'm sure there would be a broader network of Kiwis, but most of the ones outside of England are at very modest clubs.

Here Wahl goes completely the other direction, by deflating a the Polish passport (and EU citizenship) as meaning that he would only be going to England. Of course having the passport means a way around the appeals board, but it also makes it possible to play in all the other EU member states including several more sunny locales.

If he was signing with Nelsen specifically, I'd say he is a sure bet for the UK, but Wahl is trying a little sleight of hand here as if to say Miazga doesn't have other options. He only would have to look at the Polish national team to see their players are in a lot of leagues around Europe, including one in the EPL, but others as well in Spain, Italy and several in Germany. Also, just from his national team exposure, he would have the contacts that can be provided by Klinsmann and Herzog, both of whom would be able to pick up a phone and call clubs in Germany, Austria, England, France and Italy.

England is where the money is, but it is a meat grinder and not the best destination for developing a young player. Physically, Miazga is still maturing and he's more of a finesse player. As opposed to Nelsen, who himself didn't go to Blackburn until he was 28 after playing 5 seasons in DC. I just don't know about this pot-stirring speculation that writers do sometime. Is he following a line of logic to its conclusion or is the tail wagging the dog?

8. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I just want to add, in the clear light of day, that all polemics aside, he's really in no rush. If I making a strong case for him to stay it is because it is good for the club and him. Should the Red Bulls make a better offer (and I've advocated for a young DP deal), he'd be wise to take it. He's clearly developing as a player here and has plenty of time still to make a move abroad. The rush to make a decision, which is something we've seen happen with other young players like Agudelo, is one generally made on the basis of hype rather than realism. That suggests that he's getting bad advice from people around him. Agents for on their part no doubt like to maximize their commissions by getting young players to sign for the biggest possible salaries and with the biggest possible transfer fees. No doubt Ryan Nelsen also gets a better rep having Matt sign for the biggest club possible. Having Miazga go to Arsenal rather than Heerenveen would certainly look better to future clients. Whatever he decides, he's still got a ways to go before being ready for that elite level of competition.

9. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    To me, "lucrative long term offer" means DP money. Even before the agent switch I'm sure Red Bulls were aware that they are competing with European clubs for his services, they have to know $150k a year won't cut it.

I don't think it will really come down to money in the end though, if the kid has his heart set on moving up to the next level then there's only so much you can do to convince him to stay. And to be honest with the way he's played this year its tough to argue that he isn't ready to make the jump to a European club, so long as it isn't one of the top clubs in each league where he'd end up in the same situation Yedlin is in now.

10. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And that needs to be the cautionary tale here.

11. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I agree 100% on your first point here.

What I think is arguable is that he'll do any better than NY heading to some mid-level club in a mid-level league. There are always savvy choices to be had going to UCL/Europa level club in a country like Belgium or Holland. OTOH, salary and day-in, day-out level of play is basically on a par with what MLS can offer. A couple of years from now, he'll be ready for a move straight into one of the big league clubs. There is a symbiotic relationship to be had here in NY. The club gets a solid player, star in the making and a young leader on the team. And he gets to enjoy the benefits of home and a friendly environment. I mean how many years were European clubs chasing after Neymar before he said yes to Barcelona?

12. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    MLS has come a long way, I think its accepted across the board that something like the Scandinavian leagues aren't a better option, but I think its got a ways to go before it becomes an equivalent launching pad up the international soccer ladder than second tier leagues in Europe or lower table teams in the big four leagues. I don't agree that the level of competition week-to-week is there yet.

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to lock him down for the next few years and I certainly think there's a ton of room to grow as a player within MLS. But if Miazga has a reasonable chance at a starting spot in one of the top ~8 leagues in Europe, I just can't blame him for taking it.

13. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Fair enough.

14. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, they're 2-0 and Miazga had a goal against Cuba. Panama's next up tomorrow.

US is already qualified through to next round; will play either Mexico or Honduras Oct. 10th with either the Final or 3rd place game Oct. 13th.

15. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    And they need to win their semifinal in order to automatically qualify.

16. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well, the US did their part. Miazga (DNP) and company go 3-0-0 in the group stage. Ironically, the U-23s will face their next opponent on the same night as the men take on Mexico. That team will most likely be Honduras, but if they win their last group match, it could well be Mexico.

USMNT U-23s Beat Panama 4-0, Win Away From Qualifying for Olympics

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The opponent will be Honduras at 3:00 P.M. on Saturday. Mexico will play Canada in the second Semifinal at 6:00 P.M.

18. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game on! En vivo!

Channel 16 on my Cablevision package

Next to no crowd in Salt Lake

19. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It's probably a good thing no one was there to watch the deflation that was just a prelude to the men's deflation later on.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  20. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Late game was much better - they played like they cared.

The Olympic game was just blah - 3 or 4 key guys had off days, the rest were lackluster.
    Miazga didn't do bad, just had an average game which made him one of the better US players. However, when everything else is going poorly, the chippy fouls, the errant pass, the long clearances to nowhere really grind the fans down.

Here's how bad they were - the last 15 minutes or so, Miazga appeared to be almost a target forward. So many set pieces and crosses going in, they just needed an airial force and it was Jordan Morris and Matt near the net.

21. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    They better pull it together or the Olympics are going off without them.

22. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  23. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Capped!

kokoplus10 repped this.
  25. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    And cap-tied Since it was an official FIFA match, Miazga is committed to the USA. I'm sure his parents are a little disappointed.

[Note: He can still make a one-time switch for Poland, but only through the filing of paperwork and there would be no coming back.]