Miami University (OH) soccer loses appeal

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Thomas Flannigan, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Title IX Ruling Blow to Men's Soccer

From today's Chicago Tribune, Section 4, p. 2:

"A federal appeals court in Cincinnati on Monday rejected a challenge on Miami University's 1999 decision to eliminate men's soccer, tennis and wrestling teams. University officials said they reluctantly eliminated the programs to free up money for increasing women's athletics, in order to comply with Title IX."

This is a major setback to men's soccer in the U.S. Fans of the USMNT should mourn this decision.

2. nowhere

nowhere New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Thanks, right now I will go set up a memorial to remember what was men's soccer in this country.

3. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Title IX Ruling Blow to Men's Soccer

Why? College soccer does precious little for USMNT soccer except hold back talent with a laughable 3 month season. I don't think you'll see Donovan, O'brien, or Run DMB mourning this decision, just to name a few.

Guinho

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't had swiss cheese for a long time.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda THE BIGGEST THREAT TO THE MEN'S NATIONAL TEAM IN THIS COUNTRY IS NOT BRAZIL OR ARGENTINA OR MEXICO IT IS RADICAL FEMINISM yip yip yip yip yadda yadda, etc. etc.

6. M.T. Nets

M.T. Nets New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Re: Title IX Ruling Blow to Men's Soccer

I agree that this is a setback to men's soccer but more importantly the impact of Title IX is being felt in such a negative way. I believe that there should be equal sporting opportunities for men and women but to eliminate men's sports programs just to implement new women's programs seems to defeat the entire purpose. There are other ways to meet the requirements but the elimination of certain sports is the path that most universities are following. It is time to revisit this ruling and make modifications so that it meets the original need to create equal opportunities but not at the expense of current programs.

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's that frigging macro? :p

this has absolutely NOTHING to do with Miami of Ohio funding a Division I football team does it.

Thomas, you have done absolutely nothing to prove that this damages the MNT. Can the hysterical rantings.

8. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    80% of Division I college football programs are money losers, yet they get 85 scholarships.

Title IX ain't the problem, it's the implementation by football-loving AD and pressure from the boosters.

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Title IX Ruling Blow to Men's Soccer

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. There is a conscious choice involved here.

If homas bothered to look up the facts he would know that to the best of my knowledge, no women's opportunities were created at Miami. this was a chickensh!t decision by the administration who desperately wants to be viewed as a big-time school. They cut approximately $440K from the budget by dropping sports, leaving a deficit of $1M still in the budget. Think funding D-IA football had anything to do with that?

Thomas will ignore these facts because he's too blinded by the cooties to see that these issues are not as cut and dry and he would like them to be.

10. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I have had enough of this. I am going to sue inDemand because now I can't get the Miami Univeristy of Ohio soccer games anymore on my Shootout package.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I do like how those "reluctant" university administrators can do this thing in such a way that 1)saves them a small amount of money and 2) allows them to blame others -- specifically women --for their decision.

I've never thought of it before, but Title IX is actually a college administrator's dream come true.

12. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

That's debatable. Footabll programs do bring in big donations to the school, not just the athletic department.

Now that I've said that, they do spend a rediciulous amount of $$$.

13. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Where does this information come from? Just curious. Given the massive amount of revenue that college football generates (television, radio, attendance, merchandise) against limited expenses (scholarships are a lot cheaper than salaries), it amazes me that that many Division I programs are unprofitable. I would think that all the programs in major conferences (acc, big east, big ten, big twelve, pac ten, sec) would be profitable based on their share of conference TV and bowl revenue alone.

14. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    The same 4 people always show up instantly and start hurling insults. But I suppose they aren't really fans of the USMNT anyway, rarely attending games, always siding with the foreigner and so on.
    I am glad Virginia did not eliminate Men's soccer before Coach Arena, Reyna and many others had their chance there.

15. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    no, they don't. that's a myth created by AD's who like being carted around the country to big meetings with open bars and cheerleaders. We will know that the US is serious about education when America's universities start telling the NFL that we are no longer going to train 300 percent more players than you need per year. Pay up, or we're cutting the programs.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We also have a pool going on when you'll bring up specific stock responses. I had page one for the old "if you disagree with me you're not a fan" crap, which means I win. Thanks, Thomas.

17. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Lots of detailed well researched studies are out there explaining, in gory detail, that almost no one breaks even in college football. But you won't see them get wide distribution. You have to know how to read.

18. terrywilson

terrywilson Member

May 3, 1999
    Atlanta Ga.
    This sucks as I know one of the persons involved, he was all set for a full ride, when he got a call telling him his scholarship was gone along with his college soccer career as it was late in the year.

19. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Many careers of young male soccer players are being ended. As female enrollment at colleges goes from 60 to 70 per cent, more young men will face the same unequal treatment.

20. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I take this as an insult. How do you know how many USMNT games I have attended?? How do you know my life situation and when I am able to attend USMNT games?? Because I did not have $20K or so to take my family of 5, then I am not a USMNT fan?? Just because you do have the time/money/lifestyle to allow you to go to games, then you are a better fan than I am?? You are just like the people in supporter's clubs who think they are better fans than the people who sit in other parts of the stadium. You know nothing about the development of the USMNT or what role college soccer plays in that development. You know nothing about the effect of Title IX on college soccer or the development of the USMNT. In fact, you know nothing about college soccer and very little about soccer in general.

Some of your points in recent times concerning soccer strategy

1) USMNT would regret the tragic error of leaving Ante Razov behind when going to Korea. WRONG
    2) Chicago Fire is losing this year because Zach Thornton is overweight. WRONG
    3) An MLS referee deliberately headed a ball away from the goal stopping the Chicago Fire from scoring. WRONG

So when you make your post about insults and violoations of TOS, remember that

1) You posted the first insult
    2) You are the stupid one.

21. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    They bring in big donations at University of Miami (FL) and Notre Dame but the financial windfall is questionable at second tier Division I schools like Miami (Ohio) etc.

22. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
    It is easy for me to believe that when it comes to below Division I programs since fairly limited revenue is generated by for example, the Georgetown football program. But when I turn on my TV every Saturday and see huge packed college stadiums it is difficult for me to believe that a Division I college football program is as bad a financial proposition as was previously stated in this thread (i.e. - 80% lose money). Perhaps it is a case of a few programs making a fortune while everyone else struggles. If anyone has a link to an article on this, I would be interested in reading it. But whatever, I guess I ought to get back to work.

23. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    I sense a "I don't respond to TOS violations" coming up.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post.

Notebook, the games you're seeing, in general, are the interesting games, which means the ones with good teams playing. There are several divisions of football, and tiers within each division.

25. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Thomas kindly provided a link in our last Title IX tete a tete with quotes from his arch-nemesis (whose name escapes me now) who threw out that figure (I've also seen it elsewhere but don't have links right now - I'll see if I can track them down when I have the time).

Scholarships may be cheaper than salaries, but how much are college coaches making in salary? And how many coaches do they have? Add travel expenses, equipment expenses, trainers, training table, practice field and stadium upkeep etc. and you've got to get a lot of donations (and a full house each Saturday) before it pays off.

I'll have to do some more digging to find out how TV and bowl revenues affect the equation.