Miami Stadium

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by alexp92, Dec 15, 2007.

1. austinwetherby

austinwetherby New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pardon the keyboard.

2. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    i think that is actually correct. i believe the barcelona in ecuador was just founded by some guys from barcelona. i don't think they were founded directly by fc barcelona.

3. austinwetherby

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i will have to read more on it becuse their logo is identical almost to barca

4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    There will be tons of soccer teams going to watch the games, as long as all of the Colombians, Venezuelans, Argentineans, Brazilians, Uruguayans, Ecuadorians, Peruvians, among others, and students from FIU, and UM, and people coming from other parts of Florida. Also remember that Miami is a highly touristic place, not only nationally, but also internationally, and all of the tourists coming in from Europe and South America will definetely go to the games, especially the Barca fans. Even come down from Orlando to them.

Where to begin?

Son, if it only worked like that and it were that easy.

5. austinwetherby

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    attendance should be ok, there are 36,000 students on campus, they school is huge

6. loco25

loco25 New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Chicago
    The only thing I care if Miami support it and not People in Barcelona Spain.

7. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Before the Fusion moved, they won the Attendance Shield averaging 12,000 people/game. That was in Lockhart Stadium, where not that many people live, and before the big latin american immigration wave.
    And 12,000 is the average right now for an MLS team, so I have no doubt Miami would be in the above average section. And I think they should stay in FIU stadium, because its on Campus, on a very reachable place, and would have a higher capacity than other stadiums which could be very useful.
    And theyre not supporting Barca because their in NY. And thats just one person. Most real Barca fans will. Its the future of their team. And the ones here definetely will.

8. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it's well west of the Palmetto. The FIU Campus is on the SE corner of the Trail & the Turnpike extension. The time from Ft Lauderdale sounds right if you use I-595, I-75 & the Turnpike, as is the time from the OB to SW 8 St & 107 Ave. Both times are traffic dependent, of course.

In fact, it may be easier to get to from Broward than from much of Miami-Dade.

9. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Love to shut up people talking of of their arses:

Barcelona Sporting Club de Guayaquil has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with
    Futbol Club Barcelona de España. Heres proof: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcelona_Guayaquil look at the bit about the spanish inmigrant who founded it and named it after the city, not the FCB team despite borrowing the team's crest.
    Also, Guayaquil's colors are black and yellow, nothing to do with the spanish side's azulgrana.

Name borrowing from European Clubs is quite common in South America so dont think MLS are the only ones doing it. We have Everton, Rangers, Liverpool, Wanderers and more than one River Plate.

Nevertheless, perhaps that misconception about Barcelona SC can actually help luring some Ecuadoran fans in Miami as well.

10. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I would want a new SSS to look like, should Miami get the team and build one i the future. I've reworked an idea I posted awhile back. The design uses retractable canvas shades over the seats that can be taken down in case of hurricanes or night games. They would be cheaper to build then permanent shades and that money could be spent improving other amenities at the stadium. I also included a grass berm like they have in LA.

[​IMG]

The location I would choose is Bicentennial Park in downtown Miami, next to the AmericanAirlines Arena. For parking, the idea is to borrow a design aspect from the AAA and built the stadium on a hill so that a parking garage could be underneath the building. That way the area around the stadium could still be a park-like area. The Metromover goes right past the park as well. The location inspired my sponsor/name choice, because from the stadium you'd be looking across Biscayne Bay at the Port of Miami, and several Carnival ships(and Micky Arison, the guy who owns the Heat, is CEO of Carnival). Here's my design stuck into the park:

[​IMG]

11. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad idea. Bicentennial Park has been a waste since it was built. One more of Miami's great ideas that never worked out quite as planned. This wold put one of the dead spots in Downtown to good use. Plus, it is near the new Arts and Philharmonic/ballet center on Biscayne Blvd as well as AAA, making for an interesting place to go for several reasons.

Parking is a problem, though. A 20K stadium next to a 16K - 17K arena that stretches the downtown parking supply to its limit, along with the horrid traffic to Port of Miami makes it a lot less enticing than at 1st glance. You and I would be some of the few from Broward County to even think of attending anything in that area, especially at night.

You'd also probably have a flooding problem during a hurricane, too. A storm surge probably would cover the pitch and much of the lower stands during considerable damage to both.

The final killer is: who'd finance it? It seems that the good folks from both the city and county have made up their minds about the OB site. It might be very difficult to convince them to fund 2 stadiums in different locations when they might construct 2, or a conjoined pair, in one location.

Nevertheless, a reasonable idea in a very beguiling location, IMO. Thanks for the effort.

12. Viva Miami

Viva Miami Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Loco said the only thing that matters is if people in South Florida support the team. While it would be awesome for people from Barcelona to fly in to go to a game I don't really expect it.

13. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If surge is a serious problem, then certainly there are other places a stadium can be put that are around the Miami area.

Does anybody have any idea what that gigantic vacant lot I see at NW 41st St. and 107th Ave., opposite corner from the Doral Golf Resort, is for? There's also land out to the extended end of Dolphin Expressway, all the way up to 137th Ave.

14. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that land is some sort of farm.

As for storm surge worries, the AAA has never had any problems with it, and it's why I suggested building up on a hill first, with a parking garage underneath, like they did.

I do think that if a SSS does get built, it will probably be at the OB next to the Marlins stadium. I just think Bicentennial Park would be a better location to show off the stadium.

15. El Rey305

El Rey305 New Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Aventura
    Dude your a genius, Ive said this in the expansion thread. Downtown Miami would be the perfect location for MLS with all the European and South Americans residents and tourist near by. Also this would bring credibility to the MLS and to the team. It would show that Soccer/football in America is not a second class sport buried somewhere in the middle of nowhere like lockhart stadium or Tropical park..Some may argue the parking side of this project but just remember that many patrons will travel via MetroRail which will save them on gas and parking. This will encourage fans to attend the games even more especialy the broward and palm beach fans that can travel TriRail and connect to the Metrorail.

I seriously think you should submit of drawings to the team.

16. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    The grass behind the stands is exactly like the stadium the MLS Cup was played in, right?

17. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like a farm, or something like it. Out by 137th Ave are rock pits. Mines for the Oolite limestone that is South Florida. The boondocks and not a place for a new stadium, even though there is enough room for one and all the parking that will ever be needed.

I expect any stadium to be built on the OB site. The local PTB seem to like that spot. Since they've got the Orange Bowl down they have to put something there...:D Although inconvienient for foks in the 2 northern counties it is not as inconvienient, or as unknown & feared, as downtown.

I also agree that Bicentennial Park is the showcase spot, but is too inconvienient & unknown - although that could change over time - to be used for this.

Downtown, especially the dead zone that is Bicentennial Park, would be a great showcase. Great views, superb viewing and fantastic visibility for the building. Think of the cameras inside the stadium sweeping over Biscayne Bay, South Beach, downtown. Great stuff!
    Tropical park is traffic bound. It is also a bit out of the way. It is also far easier to get to from outside of Miami than downtown.
    IMVHO Lockhart is in a very good location. It is in the middle of the tricounty, off of a major traffic artery - I95 - and has sufficient parking for a full house. It is, however, antiquated and subject to heavy use by all of the local schools that use it. Yet the location is near ideal for the tricounty residents that will be the teams fan base.
    Folks in Miami-Dade will use Metrorail & the downtown Metromover & I'll probably do the same. Most from Broward & Palm Beach won't. If they come to downtown Miami they'll want to park at or near the stadium. Very little exists and that we do have is a distance from the proposed site. I've been to AAA and it is great sport crossing Biscayne Blvd to get there. Maybe we could park on Watson Island and cross over the bridge to the mainland. Either way is a bit inconvienient, but true fans will endure it.

Sure. Why not. The site is not totally without merit. It certainly is a showcase location. I think that the Marlins stadium was going to go there once upon a time, but, for some reason, was shot down. Possibly it got in the way of the bridge and tunnel from Watson Island to Port of Miami.

18. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    So you think no Broward or Palm Beach fans attend Heat games? Or Hurricanes games when they played at the OB? Sure, its inconvinient, and I would love a stadium in Weston, but as a true fan, I'll go wherever.
    And yes, the Marlins stadium could've been built there, but MLB preferred the Orange Bowl location.

19. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well actually they MLB preferred first Bicentennial Park, then the downtown location south of the old Miami Arena, but both times the Fish tried to get state funding and it fell apart. MLB is on board with the OB site because it's the first one that has got all the funding approved. MLB is committed 110% to this market(unlike a certain soccer league has been in the past), and they want a stadium built here come hell or high water.

20. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that's the idea. It would a good place for families to see the game, away from the rowdy supporter's groups and/or drunks lol.

21. El Rey305

El Rey305 New Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Aventura
    The MLB is dumb for not wanting the stadium in that location. Thats the perfect location for a stadium. think about the game atmosphere, it would almost be like San Fransisco when Bonds would hit all them home runs out the park and into the water, you would have people in Miami doing the same thing they do in San Fran trying to catch balls from their boats and canoes. The Media would have a fielday with all the cruises near by, the private islands ,Bayside. It would just make our city and our team look top class.

Right now Bicentenial park is used alot for concerts. If you build a Stadium there like the one you drew up it would be perfect for concerts with the stage near the water. Also if we could manage to build something like a 35,000 seat stadium or 50,000 we could also rent it out to the Miami Hurricanes. im sure they would much rather play there than in Dolphin Stadium..Now i know 50,000 would be way too big for MLS right now but we could simply cover the uper bowl with a tarp and only sell lower bowl tickets for soccer games...

One last thing, Im not 12 years old, i know this would prob never happen but if were dreaming here, might aswell we dream big...

22. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I like it too

23. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go there, too, if that's the place they'll build it. Others I've talked to won't. Their loss. I'll probably Metrorail it in from Hialeah. There will probably be a lot of parking by the station west of the Palmetto, and I'm certain that there will be a new station built for the stadium right on the stadium grounds.

Like the Heat, the new team will only need about 20K fans to have a sell out. Enough of us will go to be well represented. Others won't. Again, their loss.

I agree that it is a decent site. I forgot about Bayside. Could be great for them, too. As for the 'Canes, the tarp, etc I think your last sentence about it not happening is the sad truth, but please don't stop dreaming big. Just change the location a bit to the west....;)

This tells us why the Bicentennial Park site is not going to happen; no financing to get it done. Unless you are going to be like Joe Robbie and build your own stadium - known as Dolphin Stadium - using your own loot you'll have to get local & state help. The local will do what they can. The state is very fickle about giving money back to it's primary cash cow. If we can get enough together to build both stadiums we should do it as fast as we can before the various agency's change their minds. Or Brahman can file another lawsuit to stop/delay it. Bicentennial Park looks good, but no one will pay for it. The OB site may not be as good, but the folks with the $$$ like it, let's all be thankful for that.

24. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Euroborg is still my #1 choice, BTW. No matter where it is built in South Florida.

25. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The OB is even cheaper land (from what I understand, the utilities under Bicentennial Park are a custerfluck), and with the Hurricanes deciding to move to Pro Player it was readily available. It's been cleared and ready to develop since May (I think even earlier), but the Norman Braman lawsuit held everything up.

To be honest, a mere refurbishment of OB wasn't going to work anyhow. It's old, and the area needs a general redevelopment. The Marlins Stadium will be the centerpiece of that redevelopment.

EDIT: BTW, why not Royal Caribbean? They're in Miami too, and...uhh...I've been on both, and definitely prefer Royal Caribbean. :p