Miami MLS General News & Discussion

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Lucho305, May 14, 2014.

1. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that Miami may be team 24, who is 25, 26,27, & 28. And what is the new setup with 28 teams? Play off structure

2. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I may propose, and this is if Miami MLS actually gets off the damn ground...

The four likely contenders would be:

*Indianapolis (NASL Promotion)
    *Sacramento (USL Promotion)
    *San Antonio (NASL Promotion)
    *An expansion club, either in San Diego, Las Vegas, or Detroit

Sacramento and Indy have shown interest in MLS promotion, and while Indy's still trying to convince the supermajority conservative state house to put money into their project, Sacramento seems to be further along. I also think San Antonio might have a chance at promotion, too. That leaves the expansion project, and I view this to be the most dangerous part of this plan.

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Sacramento, San Antonio and 2 other cities.
    2) unknown
    3) unknown

Come on, they change the playoffs every other year with teams they know. No way they'll know when there's 8 more teams.

4. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St Louis
    Commish has been making noises about another Canadian team maybe Ottawa

5. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn no, another canadian team? No please, I rather St. Louis, Vegas, Sacramento and another eastern team, Chattanooga some team to represent the gap between the northeast and the southeast

Andy Bulldog repped this.
  6. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Link?

Lucho305 repped this.
  7. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all fairness both articles seem to actually say no to Ottawa MLS hopes not encourage them.

9. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Yup, I am still waiting for @EPJr 's link where Garber is "making noises about another Canadian team".

10. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So should MLS go ahead and add Miami as an official club on their website, and the official naming come within a few months? Or will it still take 2-3yrs to even get mentioned before naming, etc takes place?

11. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
    http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-s...-hopes-sacramento-republic-join-mls-expansion

He held up Miami as an example of how the league is following through on these aims. While plenty of attention has been on Miami owner David Beckham and his quest to find a suitable stadium, Garber indicated that additional owners will also need to come on board in order for the team to officially get started.

"I'm tired on my own of saying how we're making progress [in Miami], but we are," he said. "They've purchased the land, but we've got work that needs to happen to ensure that they have the right ownership structure so that they'll be successful. And we have the ability to require that.

"They need to have an ownership that we are able to improve that will ensure their long-term success. They are making progress, but they're not there yet."

What happened to the QSI joining MLSMiami ownership rumor? Did MLS BoG veto it?

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it was actually just a rumor. Or it's just not finalized.

13. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
  14. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
    http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...sion-miami-st-louis-sacramento-nwsl-equal-pay

• On the ongoing quest to finalize an MLS team in Miami: "It's going to happen. If it doesn't happen, it would surprise us." Garber says that the Miami group paid cash for a piece of downtown real estate for its stadium, but still has to finalize its investor group because the stadium will be privately financed and cost $200 million. The investor the group is targeting, Garber said, is a major figure in Miami real estate.

"Their investor, should we close, is going to be a real guy," Garber said. "I'm very confident and bullish. I always throw out these dates then miss them, but I think in the next couple months we will [be prepared to start in] '18."

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grant Wahl says its millionaire Arthur Falcone.
    http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/04/26/mourinho-psg-beckham-miami-mls-detroit-expansion

Andy Bulldog repped this.
  16. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  17. krusso

krusso Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Club:
    SSC Napoli

Well, they'll work it out. The penalty provisions regarding fines that would need to be paid if certain hiring prerequisites are not met are at issue; moreover, there appears to be some incompetence (yet again) coming from the government sector.

But look at this survey which I answered today from a branch of MLS. The question asked: "Do you live within 50 miles of any of these cities?" Guess what? All but one (they forgot Seattle) of the cities were MLS has teams including the next 4 to bring us to 24, are listed. They specifically included Miami. I still say without a doubt that Miami is on.

Attached Files:

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure that's legit evidence of Miami expansion, but I agree this isn't the end of Miami. I would add it's incompetence on both the gov't and Beckham's team. I was hoping Leiweke would have shut down these petty movements from MLS down there.

19. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2018 says The Don during USA v Arg game

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham’s group is talking with a group involved in a high-speed railway project about joining forces on the deal it has in the works in Miami’s Overtown neighborhood, the Miami Herald reported.

Edens, a part-owner of the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks, is the co-chairman of Fortress Investment Group, which wants to build the first privately funded U.S. high-speed railway from Miami to Orlando railway. The Brightline's Miami Central depot would be six blocks from the proposed Beckham stadium.

21. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Who's in Beckham's group besides Beckham?

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's old news. Claure, CEO of sprint, media buddy Fuller and now possibly a NBA owner who also owns All Aboard Florida commuter rail.

23. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    I thought some of them dropped out.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't heard that. Where did you hear that?