Miami FC vs OKAP (local Haitian team) [R]

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by Newtbomb, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what? The Haitian people CAN fill Tropical stadium. Lockhart was once near capacity for a double-header featuring the Fusion and the Haitian women's national team. It is unfortunate though that the announcement is so tardy.

...recent reference to OKAP
    DENVER, CO (Friday, December 23, 2005)- The Colorado Rapids announced today one of the team’s official preseason matches of 2006, which will be played against club side OKAP, who are the Madame Gougousse Haitian Cup Tournament Champions.
    The exhibition game will take place on Saturday, March 11th, 2006 at 7:00 p.m. at North Miami Stadium, which is located on the Florida International University’s North Campus.
    The local soccer tournament previously featured current Rapids stars Jean Philippe Peguero and Fabrice Noel.

2. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Too bad the Haitian population only comes out, in REAL droves, for Haitian teams.

3. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but if it is a paid attendance match (at this time unknown), then I am sure the team will gladly take some of their ca$h. I relate with Haitians on a regular basis in my work and most get their news from OTHER haitians, so I made sure to tell everybody I met.
    Hopefully, the details will become clear tomorrow...er...sorry, it is 2am...I mean today.......

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case you guys missed it, here is the press release for the MFC v. OKAP this weekend:

MIAMI FC TO HOLD SCRIMMAGE ON SATURDAY APRIL 29TH

Miami, FL; April 27, 2006- Miami FC will hold a scrimmage open to fans and media on Saturday, April 29th 2006, against local Haitian Club, OKAP. The game will be held at the Miami FC’s official venue, Tropical Park Stadium, at 7:30PM.

Miami FC is preparing for their second USL First Division match, next Friday May 5th at 7:30 PM at Tropical Park Stadium against Rochester Rhinos. Coach Chiquinho de Assis has chosen to play this Saturday’s scrimmage at the same time that Friday’s match will be played at in order to experience the same game conditions.

5. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not expect someone from Orlando (or even West Palm), like SoccerPrime, to drive down for a scrimmage. However, I'm hoping I won't be the only board member there. My wife's givin' me a hard time about it since she just got the night off, but I WILL be there! She knows this is not an argument she can win. Go with or stay home, woman! ;)

I wanna see an 7-1 rout! Hell, I just wanna see some goals scored.

6. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    So they'll have Romario for this game? What kind of formation will they use? Will Rodriguez continue to play up front or will that drop him further back? Just wondering. Not sure if there has been any talk about it.

7. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Not sure if Romario will play.

He should, especially as seeing this game is being held at night for the players to get acclimated to the lighting conditions in anticipation of next Friday's game versus Rochester.

8. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Looks like Romario will arrive on Tuesday.

9. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    I guess I should have thought about the information already provided before I asked the question. Oops. At least he'll be here for Rochester when we need him.

10. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may drive down depends if my hot date actually happens

11. soybostero

soybostero Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Miami
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is this scrimmage FREE ??? Can we just park and walk in ??? If its FREE i might show up...

12. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure this event will really happen, but I am disappointed with the club's handling of it. I get the feeling they had no intention of advertising, therefore my guess would be that it is free. However, neither the website nor phone # has been updated, so there is no way to verify.
    Perhaps SoccerPrime can answer this question for sure.

[​IMG]

13. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    How did it go at the scrimmage??

14. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't have time to really discuss this match until Monday (off to bed, work in the morning), but it was 1-0 Miami (should have been two from a penalty). The assist came from EL LOco in the 2nd. I don't know who the goal scorer was. Attendance guess :1st half 700 - 2nd half 500
    My guess for shots on goal : Miami 6 - Okap 2 Corners: Miami 8-10 Okap 2
    It seemed like it was mostly bench players compared to the preseason game I saw (with the exception of EL LOco, Doyle, Sandoval & John Pulido). Gilstrap was keeper in the second. He kind of short for a modern keeper. I was his height in my playing days (around 5'9") and the opposing forwards used to chip me & beat me to the upper corners. Anyway........
    I have to admit I had a hard time placing names to faces on the pitch. They had practice jerseys on with wrong numbers (El Loco was 10), there was no announcer & I didn't bring a roster. AND I really wish the track wasn't there!
    No food or beer either. No wonder they didn't advertise. :rolleyes:
    Rough game for a scrimmage. There were 20 times more fouls than shots. The ref lost control of this game early. At one point, all 22 players were in Okap's 18-yard box!
    Miami had this forward who was stocky and out of shape (holding his lower back with both hands most of the match). I don't know much about the returning John Ramos (isn't he a Defender?) but the age, skin tone & fitness would seem to fit.
    You are all finding out real quick that I'm no authority on players (current OR former). I think I matched up most of the players that participated, but wouldn't want to guess from memory, as I'm just not sure.
    <sigh> I'm up too late as it is...........I shall return soon with pictures, but I believe river was there as well (and closer).

[​IMG]

15. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Thanks for the informaton Newtbomb. I wasn't able to be there, but certainly appreciate your reflections on the match. I'll look forward to your pictures and river's pictures.

16. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Yeah, thanks newt.

Looks like it was what they advertised (or un-advertised) to be, a scrimmage. Nothing more.

At least they got some other players some playing time. Was there a big Haitian presence in the stands?

17. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys. Just a correction on some info I posted here. It appears my guess was way off on Hunter Gilstrap's height. I figured him between 5'9 and 5'11. He's actually 6'3 ! :eek:

Here is some limited info from his Clemson bio (only thru 2003). Pretty impressive anyway. Glad to have him. A smart goalkeeper is also one that can read the game well.

Hometown:
    Lexington, SC
    High School: Lexington High School
    Height / Weight: 6-3 / 180

In 2003: (Sophomore) Made eight appearances for Clemson, starting six matches ... played 635 minutes in goal for the Tigers...allowed 12 goals for a 1.70 goals against average...recorded two shutouts during the season...his first career shutout came in a 1-0 victory over arch-rival South Carolina on October 5...other shutout came in a 1-0 victory over Appalachian State on October 22...recorded 11 saves in a 3-3 tie against Air Force on September 26...named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll...named to the NSCAA Academic All-Region Team...

In 2002: (Freshman) Played in four matches...had one start his freshman season...allowed only two goals...had six saves....finished the season with a 0.91 goal allowed average...named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll

In 2001: Redshirted... named to the ACC Academic Honor ROll

Club Experience
    * DSA Lightenting 1995
    * Lexington Paladins 1996
    * NECSA Galaxy (Five Time Challenge Cup State Champs) '97 - Present (Team Captain)

High School Experience
    * Lexington High School 3-Year Letterman
    * 2000 "All Region" 3-AAAA
    * The State Newsaper's "SC All-Area Team" 2000
    * 2000 Winner of Lexington High School soccer team's "Boozer Award" for leadership, commitment, and enthusiasm

Academic Honors and Awards
    * "Who's Who Among American High School Students" '98, '99, '00, '01
    * President Latin Honors Club
    * National Latin Exam "Maxima Cum Laude"
    * National Honor Society
    * Furman Scholar, Science Honors Club
    * Beta Club
    * Delegate to South Carolina Palmetto Boys' State Leadership Conference '00
    * 2001 "Palmetto Fellows" Nominee
    * Invited for membership in the Calhoun Honors College at Clemson

18. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I had just enough time to throw some pics up of the match.

Miami FC vs OKAP
    I had a few issues with the uploads, so let me know if any of you have problems with it. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

19. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Good stuff newt.

Not digging the white shirt/blue short combo.

Prefer the white shirt/white short combo they used in Brazil for preseason training.

20. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Oct 13, 2001
    Miami
    I quite like that white shirt with blue trim. Better than the reegular shirt, actually.