Miami-Barcelona Expansion & Bid Discussion

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by metro1026, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    Mark my words, boys and girls.

FC Barcelona have interest in being the ownership behind the Miami MLS Franchise.

Tonight in one of Giants Stadium's suites, post-drubbing, Barcelona and MLS officials held a meeting where Barca officials basically notified MLS of their interest in owning the Miami franchise. The franchise would be playing by 2011.

MLS officials notified Barca officials that St. Louis and two Canadian teams would be def. coming on line by then as well.

This is first hand information.

2. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Miami Barca?

If that's true than that's very good news. I won't get excited until I see a press conference with "MLS Miami" on the podium though.

3. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    Miami, St.Louis and Two Canadian Cities...Next

Heard it from the mouth of the MLS honchos this evening as they met with Barca officials in a luxury suite in Giants Stadium and decided to move forward with Barca owning the Miami franchise.

They sounded rather definitive.

4. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Miami, St.Louis and Two Canadian Cities...Next

I don;t know what to think of this. Are you for real?????? Wonder why no one else has replied to this post???????? I'm sure a lot of people are saying BS. But I kinda hope your right. Oh well rumors are rumors.

5. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, this is one of those, to good to be true things that never come to pass. No offence dude, but I've heard things like this before that just don't come to pass. If your right, awesome, and i'll rep you. But, i'm skeptical.

6. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Great news!

They have to move quickly in Miami to get the soccer stadium funding plan back on track.

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

While this reeks of BS and I think it just another "My brother-in-law was just at the Airport and saw ..." type posts, I have two questions.

1. Who are you and what is your position that you would be in a luxury suite in Giants Stadium with "MLS honchos" and "Barca Officials"?

I'd think if you were in a position to be in that room, you would be familiar enough with those present to be able to give us names.

2. Where exactly are they going to play?

- The Orange Bowl is closed
    - Tropical Park is way too small
    - Miami Stadium is gone
    - MLS will never let them play at "The Cage"
    - Dolphin Stadium has told the Marlins to go elsewhere, they are not going to let an MLS team play there. MLS is going to want to play in a 75,000 seat stadium
    - The proposed Marlin's stadium is too small.
    - The deadline has passed for the SSS stadium
    - And the whole thing is tied up in Court.

8. zidja

zidja Member

Jul 26, 2006

MLS pretty much doesn't care if a venue is in place or not when awarding a franchise, as long as there are "good intentions." There can be a plan in place for a new building (Philly), or not (SJ2.0). I guess the logical choice would be to put them in Tropical Park until things get worked out like SJ in buck shaw.

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Never going to happen.

MLS is way beyond "good intentions".
    San Jose is a special situation - it was payback because MLS knows it effed up the first time.

MLS will not let Miami play in a 7000 seat stadium until the promise of a revenue controlled stadium or SSS is fulfilled.

This is especially true in a city where they failed once.

10. loco25

loco25 New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Chicago

If this news is for real. I do want to hear it from Garber and not on Big Soccer.

They can play at the new 24,000 seat FIU stadium that will be ready this September. The option for a soccer stadium at OB site is stiil open.

11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Still, MLS is not going to a college stadium where the team does not control the revenue.

As to the OB site - that thing is so tied up in litigation. The next hearing is sometime in September, but nothing will be cleared up in time for it to be part of an official bid by the October 15th deadline.

12. loco25

loco25 New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Chicago

Who are you were is the proof?
    Want to see official news.

13. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

So you are saying 4 new franchises by 2011 :eek: - I don't buy this at all.

14. time_drifter

time_drifter Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Wharton
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They could always do a "temporary" expansion on the stadium like they did at Buck Shaw for the Quakes. It was in the 6000 range before they added temporary seats.

15. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

They would only consider that if there was a guarantee in place for another stadium. But it won't happen.

No guarantee can be made by the Oct 15 deadline.

Why go temporary in Miami when you have 4-5 other cities that could play right away. Miami is done for the next round (2011) but something could be in place before the decision on the subsequent round of expansion (2012-2014??) is made.

16. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey

Listen, I moonlight at the Meadowlands as an Aramark employee (food services) and happened to be the runner in that suite last night.

It's nice weekend money during football games and big events. and comes with some nice little extras, like being at games for free and stuff and meeting celebs and Presidents when they stay in our suites and stuff.

So I was cleaning up in their suite after the match when they were supposed to be out of there but they were having a meeting.

They didnt give a timeline but said "besides Miami, Philly, and Seattle, the next three teams after that will be St Louis, and the two Canadian cities.

They said Miami will be playing by 2011.

They said something about sharing with the Marlins. Not sure if they meant sharing the actual stadium, or sharing the complex with stadiums side-by-side. They mentioned the 35 mill or whatever the city of Miami was ready to invest.

It seems that they had been talking about this for a while, and this was the meeting where both parties decided to move forward and actually persue this.

MLS guys told Barca guys they could name the team whatever they want and use their own names.

Barca told MLS guys that they were very interested and ready to move forward.

No other expansion cities were mentioned. No second NY team, no Atlanta, no Phoenix, Rochester, Milwaukee, Cleveland, etc.

I didnt hear every word. I'm not here to try to piss people off. I'm not some sock puppet or new member. I've been around these boards since 99, where were you all in 99? Watching baseball? In pre-school?

Take it for what it is, a little info that may or may not come true. It did happen though.

17. SpaceAddict

SpaceAddict New Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

So Mr. Mod (Sport Billy), Metro1026 needs to jump through hoops and give you names for you to possibly believe what he has reported? What do you have to do for us to believe all that info you spewed about what MLS would and would not do? The point is this, "The Cage" or FIU's new stadium will be a better facility than where the Dynamo, EarthQuakes and Wizards play right now. FIU has also said that a MLS fanchise can play there rent free. So, if MLS wants soccer in Miami bad enough they may just put a franchise in FIU Stadium while the City gets their funding in order (and they will).

After saying all of that, I don't know that this rumor is true or that it isn't. I don't see why "Metro" would lie? If he said he heard it, why not take him at his word.

BTW. Sport Billy... You say that San Jose's situation is different because they were wronged by MLS -- SO WAS MIAMI!

18. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Relax - I pointed out that I think his story is bullshit. People post bullshit all the time. What reason would "the shelts" have to make up the "vancouver is in" bullshit? None. But he did it. Why do people say I saw so and so at the airport? I don't know, but they do it.

I don't buy that MLS officials and Barca officials would continue to discuss these matters with a food service guy present.

I don't buy that they said "name it what ever you want"

I don't buy that there will be 4 expansion teams by 2011.

If he's correct - great but I have every right to say I think his story is bullshit.

As far as the "Mr. Mod" crap, my being a moderator had nothing to do with any of this. I didn't edit his post or anything. I did merge the three identical threads he cross posted.

Cross-posting is a means of getting attention (and a violation of the TOS btw). The fact that the story was cross posted multiple times also makes me think it was posted to get attention rather than for its truth.

19. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Can Miami fans report on the status of the SSS at the Orange Bowl site?

The last I heard Miami city officials were saying they were moving on because no investor had materialized. However I haven't seen confirmation that the Marlins' ballpark plan has been officially green lighted.

If Miami has not finalized the plan and funding yet, what would be the problem if an investor came forward at the 11th hour and put the SSS part of the plan back on track.

If the overall Orange Bowl plan is still awaiting final approval and Miami MLS fans like a Barcelona ownership and branding they should contact city officials to inform them of this development. The worst that could happen is that the officials contact the league office and discover this is just a rumor.

20. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
  21. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"I'm sure the word you were looking for was 'skepticism.' What is the ssss-kepticism there?"

[​IMG]

22. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Good find, there still seems to be some votes needed to move forward on the Marlins' park. Does this give Miami MLS an opening?

23. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

For 2011 - I don't think so - It looks like it needs votes AND it's still tied up in court. I don't see it being ready for it to be part of an official bid in two months.

In later rounds, I think Miami will be in contention.

24. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As far as I know the $50 million included in the "Megaplan" for the SSS is still on the table, especially becuase of this nonsense Braman lawsuit. It has delayed construction on the Marlins ballpark and given more time for an investor to step forward. If they can put something together with Barca before November, the earliest estimate of when the ballpark will begin construction, then it should be possible. If MLS truly wants to put a team in Miami then then need to stop talking about it and do it because the ideal situation is there for the taking. They'll have a team starting out in their own stadium, in downtown Miami no less, unlike many other MLS stadiums which are in the suburbs. They've got the best chance to succeed right now and they need to step up. They have the local government on board and they really ought to jump at the opportunity.

25. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, I hope this guy is right about this. I would love to see Miami in. The two canadian cities as well. The only thing bad is StL in and not Portland, but oh well, maybe that can change.

But my opinion, the stadium issue might not be that big a deal in Miami when you have Barca involved. In other words, they might go out of their way to solve that problem quickly. Another special case point as well is, if we can believe what our friend above pionted out, Miami got hosed like SJ.

And BTW I know Robertson stadium isn't a SSS, but it is a really cool place to go for the games. My family enjoys it and are very comfertable there. Yes, a SSS would be better all around, but I would like it to be much like Robertson IMO, only SSS. Plus it seats 32,000.