Miami-Barcelona Expansion & Bid Discussion Part 3

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Sport Billy, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Continued from here: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=865255&page=42

MOD NOTE: Closed Part 2 early because of trolling. Trolling is prohibited and violators will be given infractions.

Additionally, instead of responding to trolls and make my clean up job difficult, please either report the post or PM me directly.

Play On!

2. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
  3. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that Barcelona seems to be in doubt of the expansion of the MLS, what makes the other bids any different? If anything, I say Marcelo CLaure goes at it alone and find some investors here in MIami, make it a more local team and that way there would never be the fear of having a Barca USA, Miami Barca and crapt like that. Atletico Miami Papa!!! Que vive Miami HP!! Miami Pride!!

4. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I was saying all along that Claure should of joined forces with Miami FC and Traffic Sports... If Barca/Claure goes through? than Miami FC will probably fold it's operations

5. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    The Miami bid will not happen without Barcelona. There is no way that Marcelo can find some investors and then get the MLS to approve the idea in 2 weeks time. That would be the time frame if Barcelona pulls out this week. The most the MLS has to make a decision is about 23 days. On top of that, I believe the MLS really wants Barcelona to get involved. Marcelo is a big part of this bid, that is why I do not think that Barcelona will pull out and leave Marcelo hanging. Once again, I think this is all part of the negotiation and it just shows that the MLS is serious about having Barcelona on board.

6. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We need cooler heads people. Let the haters gloat. Let them think that something has officially happened out of an article about somebody saying "We may not...". They'll be the ones fooling themselves. Instead, we should focus on the two most important words of what Oliver said: Negotiations continue

7. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a lot better than Atlanta and Montreal, who both are definitely out.

8. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I don't think Montreal is out, as we already know this expansion has been full of surprises.

From MLSRumours:

Additionally, we just received the following anonymous email which seems to back up two earlier reports.

I have a very reliable source within the Montreal Impact front office that tells me that Montreal is almost set to be 1 of the 2 teams that will enter MLS in 2011. Right after he told me so, I heard the news of the possible bid withdrawal from Barcelona Miami. He also stated "We are in active discussions with MLS concerning our possible entry and the way we are gonna pay it..." MLS seems to be very interested in the upcoming concacaf game at the olympic stadium and that could be a sign that what my source told me was indeed true. I wish to remain anonymus because obviously, I was supposed to keep my mouth shut on this matter.​

9. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well what im saying is that, yeah if Miami was to put in the bid without Barca from the beginning it would never work, but now that MIami is back on the map, I don't see why this bid will work, without Barca on its side. Claure is the one putting all the money on this, so why is the bid all of sudden dead without Barca? Marcelo is the bid!! and as for the other possible Miami investors, im sure he can find other people after the bid is awarded, to share the team with.
    Believe me, i said it before and I will say it again!! MLS folded in Miami 10 years ago because of the non-credibility it had, the non-knowing investor of Horowitz (doesn't know soccer), and the demographics were way different (More futbol loving residents now). It can survive here, everybody is still living in the past of the old MLS where in Miami you can not sell a fake league like the MLS (ten years ago)!! not even the other crapt football league they had here (the sharks it was) didn't survive here, so what makes you think a young MLS having 10 teams only with 8 going to play-offs, is going to survive in a city where all the inhabitants know what a real soccer league is!??!

10. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Barca wanted a team in Miami, but when it came down to it, I don't think Barca really has a clue about the entity of MLS it's structuring,financing etc..

11. Viva Miami

Viva Miami Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really doubt it has to do with FCB not having a clue as to how MLS operates and more to do with the current crappy economy and FCB believing that they will not be able to make as much money as they would like to right now.

12. Misanthrope

Misanthrope New Member

May 13, 2007
    Anniston, Al
    That's a great idea, but I think that IF Barca pulls out now it'd take Claure at least six months to recover. Not from losing money (Barca never was going to put in cash anyways), but from the loss of face that you get from having such a major team think that your team/league isn't viable. Claure still would have the resources to put a bid together, but now you're looking at 2013 and that expansion run's going to be even worse than this one if the economy can get back on track and cities like Atlanta, and New York can put together better runs.

13. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well not exactly, I dont think he will lose anything, he still has the team that was supposed to be Barca's. I feel that people would still be interested in this team with or without Barca, I know they won't have the backing they were origanally going to have but with other investors here in the Miami area it would be better, this team would be for the people of Miami, not just the team or gateway of the americas!! i dont kno about you but I want my team for me, for Miami. Claure can still do it, and not only that i heard he was going to talk to the owner of Miami FC (USL side) and see if they join forces, because they are on a thread about to fold. So somethings got to give Claure can do this with or without Barca... Miami Pride:D!!

14. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    What you are saying is not very relevant to this bidding process. The people of St. Louis would also support their team regardless of the investors. It is not a matter of whether the people will support it or not. It is a question of whether the MLS will be interested in this bid without Barcelona. The answer to this question is a resounding NO, especially this expansion round.

15. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This comment is troubling and it's from Marino Torrens FYSA Regional A VP:

"I strongly believe that if Miami FC leaves our town, we will be without any kind of professional soccer here for a very long time. Some of you may say, well, USL is not a premier soccer league, the MLS is better, but have you seen USL's Montreal and Puerto Rico in CONCACAF Champions League? We do not have the MLS here and after reading the Miami Herald on Friday I am not too sure if we will see the MLS here anytime soon. So support what we have,"

Comment by Munga Eketabi FIU's men soccer head coach:

"This may be the last chance to save professional soccer in South Florida. It's nice to see that Miami FC is being proactive in keeping professional soccer in South Florida. I hope that these efforts will not be in vain. MLS coming back is a dream but it's not a reality yet,"

Comment by Victor Pastora, Director of Player Development, Kendall Soccer Coalition:

"It is time to see if we love and cherish the sport, or if we only like it as a hobby. Turning our back on Miami FC may very well mean that in the future everyone including MLS will turn their back on us,"

16. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    On other Barça-related news, the team's academy in Argentina is closing deals for the free transfer of 29 players :eek: from their Argentina academy to top clubs in Argentina. (They just keep a first option for a future transfer)

http://sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=590232&idseccio_PK=803

Guess what, they want to do the same thing for MLS if they get the team. I'm sure they wouldn't care if they have to send players from their academies to other teams in MLS. They can afford to buy them back if they are that good anyway. If that isn't investing in the growth of the American game, I don't know what it is.

Losing Barça would be a death blow for this bid. No doubt about it.

17. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I think this what happened: The FCB Miami site was up for 3 months and the deposit for season tickets were $20. The deadline was Feb. 15 on the contract and the situation with the tickets. Garber flew to Barcelona to meet with the owners and Barca basically said wait a minute we set a 5000 season ticket goal and only 3,000 were sold. Garber now is in Montreal because a surprising situation occured were over 51,000 tickets were sold for a USL team and Montreal are in talks with Garber.
    So anybody out there that still claims that attendance doesn't matter better look hard at the situation in Miami were their is a possibility of no USL and no MLS. The basics of a franchise is fans, no fans, no money, no team

18. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Claure and Barca to decide in the next 5 days if they will continue with the project to join the MLS

http://www.la-razon.com/versiones/20090225_006649/nota_252_768392.htm

Claure said:

“Todavía estamos en negociaciones con la MLS y tendremos definido el futuro de la franquicia en Miami en los próximos siete días”, aseguró el domingo en comunicación con La Razón

"We are still negotiating with the MLS and we will define the future of the franchise in MIami in the next seven days" (he made this statement on Sunday)

19. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I would like anyone to give me proof of this - this story is complete BS.

Both Garber and Saputo have too big of egos to sit back down for this round.

Vancouver, Portland, St. Louis all have very good chances to have sell out crowds. Why would Garber consider letting in Montreal at a discount when those three are ready and willing to drop $40 mil?

Do you really think Montreal is going to be able to have $10 tickets in MLS?
    Do you really think Montreal is going to get even 15,000 for KC, Columbus, RSL?

This story is wishful thinking at best.

20. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to what was said at the Miami FC meeting the other night, Montreal is fully committed to the USL. Now that is just what MFC said so who knows for sure.

21. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess we will know by monday

22. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont get the economy issue with Barca as being a reason to back out. Yeah I am aware the world economy sucks at the time. My issue is, I and most of the world knew about the declining economy way before they announced an interest in Miami MLS. So, was Spain and Barca one of the only regions that didnt know? Why didnt they just wait until the next expansion in MLS and maybe by then the economic crisis would have improved,instead of hoping it would really fast?

23. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Exactly, there have been signs of this crisis for some time and it was evident for the last 4 months of 2008. You also have to take into account that they will only start making money when they start playing, which would be 2010. By then the economy should be getting better and if its still not good enough, this is a long term project that should only be affected by the economic crisis for part of 2010. Also, if they thought the economy was a good reason for not starting now, why not tell the MLS that they are willing to start in 2011 instead of 2010. They could have made this decision a while ago, but even if they made it now, I don't think the MLS would have much problem with this. Another thing that makes this statement even weirder is the fact that Claure is the one putting up the $40 mill and not Barcelona. All this adds up to the fact that this statement from Barcelona is probably just part of the negotiation.

24. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ...So are you guy's saying that this is Barça's way of putting a one-week deadline on MLS to award the team or they're out??

25. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Kind of like how the just HAD to know by Jan 15? :rolleyes: