Miami-Barcelona Expansion & Bid Discussion Part 2

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would have been nice.

2. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I have to admit this is a plus for Miami:

U.S. vs Mexico viewership:

Beyond the Hispanic market, Univision was the No. 1 destination during the match’s two-hour time period among adults and men 18 to 49 years old in Los Angeles, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, San Francisco and Sacramento; and in all households in Los Angeles, Houston and Phoenix.

The game also exceeded the viewership of all first-run England-language prime time shows (such as “American Idol,” “Lost,” “Law & Order” and CSI: New York”) among men 18-49 in Los Angeles, Miami, Houston, Phoenix and Dallas.

3. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

What does this have to do with Miami?
    Seriously, I don't make the connection.

First, where do you get Univision numbers that do not include the Hispanic Market?

Second, non-Hispanics watch Univision because they would rather here a language they do not understand than listen to the crap ESPN announcers.

But really, I'm not trying to troll. What would any of this have to do with Miami's possible MLS team?

4. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if 10.2 million viewers watched the game on Univision in those cities, doesn't it show a interest in soccer? and if 1 million Miami viewers watched the game it just shows interest in that market.

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Well no - not really - it shows that HISPANIC viewers in HISPANIC cities have an interest in MEXICAN soccer. But I think we knew that.

What kind of numbers do you get in those markets with non-hispanic teams playing?

BTW, are you really saying that 10% of all Univision viewers came from Miami? Is that really true?

6. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I agree with this assessment. Its really good to see these ratings that speak for the high interest in soccer in Miami and the other mentioned markets!! Of course US vs MEX is very interesting rivalry match that might draw the Hispanic audience especially well, but check the demographics of Miami - there are not that many Mexican Americans in the makeup. The people of Miami watched a soccer match - in masses! That is the point.

7. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't know if you noticed, Billy, but Whitestar is not precisely the most pro-miami of posters here. Despite being from Florida he spends more time bashing us than anything else under his lame excuse of the USL rivalry between the Miami team which exists already and the Tampa Bay team which will come to existance when we are going to be in MLS so it's not going to be a rivalry at all.

8. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay

First, there's not many Mexicans here. Second, I speak Spanish, and I didnt even know Univision broadcasted the game, so the numbers should be even higher.

There was a buzz in my school about the game. Tons of people with USA jerseys, even latin people. Some Mexico jerseys too, and mostly everyone with some knowledge of soccer knew the game was going on.

If you advertise something corrently in here, and you have a good product, it will work

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

I'm not arguing against that. I don't have a problem with Miami as an MLS city (you all know I don't like this bid) but I simply did not (and still do not) understand what Univision numbers regarding a USvMex game has anything to do with Miami in MLS - I just don't see the correlation. Sorry.

10. Riben

Riben Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Miami
    well you get a .9 rating for the mls cup between the Redbulls & Columbus..this does not count the Telefutura ratings only ABC
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16406477&postcount=7

11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

That's much more reflective at least. But those cities are all relatively close. With the exception of Cleveland being high because of Columbus.

12. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you consider bashing:

1. Miami FC attendance is horrid
    2. If it weren't for Barcelona, Miami wouldn't even have a bid
    3. Most Miami fans are so arrogant to Barca that they would rather have Atletico Miami as a name than Barca Miami

13. SpaceAddict

SpaceAddict New Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, there's no mistaking that Miami FC's attendance is horrid - but there are valid reasons for that. 1. Stadium, 2. Promotion, 3. Minor leagues...

Regarding Barcelona being the only reason Miami even has a bid: That's highly debateable. Garber has discussed for a while now the idea that Miami would be a market they would like to re-enter. Mr. Claure is a very wealthy buisness man and Miami may or may not have had a bid without Barcelona.

#3: This was your worst point yet... It has nothing to do with arrogance that most Miami fans prefer Atletico in the name and not Barca. Barcelona Miami FC makes as much sense as New York Los Angeles FC. Grouping 2 cities together makes no sense. I think you are associating Atletico with Atletico Madrid - it's not the same thing. We (in Miami) just don't want a CHIVAS USA type name. Has nothing to do with Arrogance.

14. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  15. TimmyDel

TimmyDel New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Senegal
    VERY BAD NEWS!!!!

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idtipusrecurs_PK=7&idnoticia_PK=588818

POR LA SITUACIÓN ECONÓMICA (Due to the Economic situation)

Peligra la presencia del Barça en el fútbol de EE.UU. (Barça's presence in MLS is in danger)

La crisis económica, que se hace notar especialmente en Estados Unidos, pude hacer que el Barça no entre en la MLS. (The economic crisis, which is specially hard in the US, could stop Barça from entering MLS)

The article says they are still negotiating but from what I heard they are not going very well.

16. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Oh crap. Our biggest fear. The haters must be jumping on one leg as we speak.

17. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EXPANSION: Economy Takes Its Toll, Miami Bid Takes A Blow as Barca Boss Mulls MLS

[​IMG]

As the economy continues to sputter out of control FC Barcelona looks to be backing away from MLS.

Our Spanish language correspondent Jose at the excellent MLS en Espanol uncovered this tidbit on Spanish site, Sport.es while doing his morning reading:
    Hey guys,

I just posted an article I found on Sport.es that says that FC Barcelona may suspend its participation in the Miami team.

Here is the translation of a few paragraphs:

"We wanto to get into the American market, but only if that doesn't involve any financial risk", said Joan Olive, FC Barcelona's general director. "The risk is much higher today than when we announced this [the Miami franchise]".

"This team cannot be a part of an investment if we are not 100% sure that the estructure is solid enough. We cannot risk our image and prestige", Olive added. "We still have time to suspend this", he concluded.
    When reporters asked Olive about Mauricio Claure, Olive said that "Mauricio is also analizing if this is financially convenient". "He is a businessman and he will not want to get involved with something if he doesn't know the repercussions".

Chau,
    Jose.

What do you think about all this? Especially you Miami fans, will this just be a bump in the road or is this the car going off the cliff?

18. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I can just imagine your satisfaction grin looking at that Barça broken crest.

....This shit is just depressing.

19. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No..Sport.es are racists and haters;)

20. jimbchr

jimbchr Member

Mar 3, 2008
    kcmo
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where's all your bravado now? Just follow your S. Florida style and jump off the bandwagon as quickly as you got on. This is the only good news to come out of this recession.

21. rep21

rep21 New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll wait for Claure to say something on this before I believe anything in the spanish press.

22. Riben

Riben Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Miami
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/soccer/story/913490.html

The Question i have is What is the Risk they are talking about if They are not putting a penny up for the team?

23. jimbchr

jimbchr Member

Mar 3, 2008
    kcmo
    Death blow for Miami. "We said we'd have a team in MLS if there was NO financial risk to the club..." The best thing Miami had going for it was the Barca backing. Clearly they will incur substantial financial risk, there's no way to avoid that right now, which implies a waning in interest for them. With barca out all that leaves is 1 super-rich owner, a history of poor support in the area and a crappy college football stadium with fake grass.

24. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    The article says: "We are evaluating if the situation allows for the model planned to be implemented in Miami or not."

They are worried that Claure's plan won't fly in Miami - if they think it's going to flop, they don't want the Barca name attached to it.

Something tells me the season ticket drive isn't going as well as they had hoped.

25. rep21

rep21 New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A season ticket drive with no advertising for a team that does not exist yet is the basis for Barca/Claure to question whether or not this is a successful venture? Really? :rolleyes:

It sounds more likely to me that somewhere in the negotiation process between Claure, Barca and MLS, someone didn't get everything they wanted and then this deal has taken a turn that party may not like causing a review of what this investment is about.