Mexico

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Nutmeg, Nov 12, 2009.

1. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attrition Through Enforcement supporters are going to crow. Stand by for more mean-spirited rhetoric now that it's been 'proven' to work.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ON a different note, can any of the Mexican posters who might be following this thread or anybody else who knows give me a basic breakdown of the regional variation of violence in Mexico. I haven't been following closely but my relatives in the Yucatan told me that it's very confined to certain regions of the country and that it really doesn't affect everyday people. I don't know whether this is true and the media just blows it out of proportion or if this was just hearsay from them. I did find it ironic that they said that Chiapas was now one of the safest provinces in Mexico. :eek:

3. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    Ive been to many parts of Mexico through out the last months ,
    some places are safe but northern mexico and mid is were all the good action is taking place lol

Went to a place in Jalisco and the narcos there have no shame in letting you know they are nearby , You start seeing nice big trucks with gunmen on the back and the police doesnt dare approching .

Southern Mexico is calmer do to the fact that is more remote and lots of jungles and tourist destinations. But the violence is reaching there as cartels smuggle to Guatemala / El Salvador.

It's like a cancer they are just spreading all over the place hard to tell you what place is safe .

ps believe it or not Mexico city I think its the safest and recent report on some news channel said that as well.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That was basically their opinion of it. Monterrey, Torreon, Chihuahua, Tijuana, Juarez, Sinaloa was according to them basically another world in terms of violence.

Is it accurate to say the cartels leave you alone unless you bother them or do they really pose a threat to ordinary people and business owners?

5. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    Mexico City is safe from cartel violence .

If you leave them alone chances are they won't bother you , People still live in fear cause of the fact that innocent people do get caught in between. Some of them made it clear the war is between goverment and narcs . They are recently targeting bloggers too who get on their way ,they don't realize narcs hire hackers nowadays .

If you a regular citizen and do your business youre ok , If you sell drugs , or in any way shape or form in the way of the narcs " LE" theres reason to watch your back.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose my question is more about businesses. In Ukraine for instance you cannot open so much as a taco truck (not that they have those) without the approval of the local mob boss. In Ukraine's case that's usually the mayor or governor.

Do Mexican cartels have any interest in this or are they simply concerned with their drug business and don't get in the way or bother us and we'll leave you alone etc?

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kidnappings is the biggest issue with upper middle class, dudes have so much immunity that they even let their victims go and have they pay the ransom in installments, if you miss a payment they just kidnap you again or another member of your family.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do they deal with it? Armed bodyguards and convoys or do you just make friends with the dealers. ;)

9. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    I don't think cartels have much interest in local business , They'll ask for a fair share if lets say you're a drug dealer . But if you open up a small business they will let you be.

The problem is theres usually " gangs" we know them as bands of criminal organizations that specialize in kidnappings and intimidation of hoods . kinda like them italian mobs in ny communities .

And you can either go to law enforcement for help or do what most ppl in my hometown do , Be armed and dangerous yourself.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So it's sort of like the repo guys in the US, except that instead of doing it with cars they do it with people?

I never heard of that before. In Argentina if they kidnap you, they might let you go, but one thing's for sure, they won't give you credit terms.

11. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Respuesta: Re: Mexico

In some zones it happens, I live in Monterrey and some small business are asked for a fee (mostly depositos) in some places (I heard it happened mostly in García, NL), they're rare, but they happen.

This is a deposito here in Monterrey are sort of like any tiendita de la esquina, but specialized in beer.

[​IMG]

12. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could someone explain for me the uniquely obnoxious combination of thin-skinnedness, stupidity, and douchiness that marks the Mexican community here on BS?

Seriously. Leave me the ******** alone, asshats...

13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to my universe, Tom. They have a little troop of "We don' neeeeed no steenkin' badges" bandito wannabes that follow me around, hoping I'll say something racist about the Mexicans

That's calmed down now that TallTowerMom got fired as Ubermod. VariousStyles doesn't even bother me any more. Nailin' his Seeeester, Isabel helped with that.

14. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    If we could just keep Mexicans out of the Mexico thread, eh?
    Meanwhile ... here's a guy who has no Rudy Giuliani clout: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/..._source=OutbrainArticlepages&obref=obinsource

15. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish we had more Mexicans in the Mexico thread (and P&CE generally) who can provide personal insight and a different point of view that we generally lack here.

It's the knee-jerk, mouth breathing, neg-rep posse twits who can't understand sarcasm that I have a problem with...

16. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  17. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Colombian neckties were so much more original. These guys need to get it together if they ever want any respect.

18. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Pic reminds me of an overpass in SoCal.

21. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it matter if it takes 30 minutes? Who's going to tell them to stop?

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would only be better if we found out they were some of the BSMX Spazzo Mexican't crew

Yeah, I'd like to see some Galaxy fans swinging from an overpass too.

23. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    never gonna happen, most BSMX'rs are here in the united states, filling the gringo stadiums with Mexico jerseys

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, you can always tell by their bad spanish.

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do tell what exactly makes a stadium a Gringo sanctioned one?