Mexico vs USA August 15 @ Azteca

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by futgod, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you think this appears for most of us posting here when we lose to you guys, and vice versa, clearly, you haven't been reading Big Soccer.

2. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Again you are comparing two different sets of fans, Mexican fans living in the US are not the same as those living in Mexico.

3. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    This game means as much as the friendly after the Gold Cup last summer.

Back then both managers called in a good number of their top players and it was a game that was played at a snail's pace until the second half when the US made some subs that added a bit of pace to their attack.

I just hope that if the US manages to put together a good 20 mins of soccer like they did in last years' friendly, Klinsmann doesn't whine to the press about how his team deserved to win the game. Games don't last 20 minutes. That was some really embarrassing stuff from Klinsmann, especially in his first game in charge.

One more thing, the Mexican media will blast the team whether they win or lose, that's a given.

4. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember him overtly whining about the result. Jose Mourinho? Now there's a guy who whines.

5. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    He clearly stated in post game interviews that his team deserved to win the game even though the US didn't really threaten until the last 20 mins.

That's some Hugo Sanchez cringe worthy shit. Something he was always criticized for during his tenure with the national team.

6. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'll come out and say it before the game. If we win, it does not mean much because we have not lost an official game against you for some time (2009?). In fact the goal differential is pretty significant. So no news for us.
    Nothing to win really for us.

This does not mean we don't (or I, anyway) care, of course we want to win, always. But the significance of the game is already established, before the game, unlike most US fans where they will boast about it... LOL look at people still hanging to the friendly U23 win...:D Yup that got you as much.

/p

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Folks, let's move the discussion back to the game itself and away from the discussion of the teams' fans and of other BS posters. This forum is not the place for it.

Thanks.

RevPOWA repped this.
  8. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even moderators can enjoy a cheap shot from time to time.

9. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preemptive downplaying of this game, ok sure.. But, as always, just remember the ONLY team that can't use the "it's just a friendly" mantra is the U.S when they lose. When they win, it was a meaningless game, when they lose it's becasue they are terrible.

Whatever anyone wants to say this game is important to both teams (I didn't say fans..becasue they will use whatever rationalization they want to make the game fit their paradigm). Games can be important even though points or cups aren't on the line.

Back to the teams:
    I would imagine a few key players for the US are not going to be available...Dempsey, Boyd, possibly Altidore and Bradley. If that is the case, then who else can we expect to see for the remaining 3 spots? Or feel to edit my prospective list.

Squad of 20
    GK: Howard, Guzan
    D: Bocanegra, Ream, Goodson, Demerit, Chandler, Johnson, Castillo
    M: Torres, Beckerman, Zusi, Jones, Corona, Williams, Edu
    F: Donovan, Gomez, Wondolowski, Pontius

Kljestan, Lichaj (still not sure if he is rated at this point), Beasley, Rogers (don't laugh..he is looking somewhat competant), Agudelo, Bruin, Adu, Nguyen, Gyau, Gatt, Morales, Alonzo (intriguing)...Anyone I missed?

Don't say Seb Hines.

10. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Of course. As always on Bigsoccer, if Mexico draws/loses it's just a friendly but if they win they're obviously the best in CONCACAF. Things like squad composition are irrelevant.

This is about what I expect, though I'm not expecting Chandler instead of Cherundolo.

11. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... fans in Mexico couldn't really careless about this game but the El Tri fans here in the USA think differently

Fixed it, we're really having a problem in here with this term;)

12. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cant wait for it now. less than two weeks. we can get the BS over with and actually watch the game. how long till rosters are announced?

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  13. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently not till the 12th...ugh.

14. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the "official" list doesn't come out, but with twitter, we find out much much sooner. Federations need to notify teams a specific number of days before, it could be 7 to 14 days before. With this, media and coaches start notifying everybody who got called in.

15. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Gentlemen I believe our mod here has spoken.

bungadiri repped this.
  16. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turning back to the actual game since our thread got taken over, the 8/12 roster date means some MLS players actually play that weekend right? That can't bode well heading into another game at altitude just 3 days later. Ugh.

17. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11 days till the excitement begins.

18. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu and Dos Santos both raise the level of their country, it's so stupid why Adu isn't starting much less on the squad for the Nats.

RevPOWA repped this.
  19. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. They both raise their level for their country. Big difference. Adu does not raise the level of the US squad, he raises his level higher than with his club. he still does not deserve to be on the squad.

20. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, to be fair Adu changed the dynamic of the Panama match. He was the spark that was needed in order to win that Gold Cup Semi.

21. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu hasn't??? Everytime he is in a USA jersey, the offense is much more effective. To say otherwise is BS. The only games he has struggled in was v. those small minnow countries. I completely disagree with you.

Please name the games Adu didn't elevate the team?

RevPOWA repped this.
  22. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The games vs all those small minnow countries.;)

But in all seriousness, he has never played a game with all the players in the current starting 11 available. To me, the ideal lineup has Donovan sitting behind the striker, playing a true number 10. He can do everything that Adu can, much better than Adu, and can play everywhere on the field that Adu can. My 11 would be:
    ...............................Howard.....................................
    Chandler.......Cameron.......Boca................Johnson
    ...................................Jones....................................
    ........................Bradley............................................
    Gomez.......................Donovan.................Dempsey
    ................................Altidore.....................................

To me, Adu has no place in that lineup, or any other that we've seen from Klinsi with a full complement of players since he took over.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  23. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rather start Adu over Gomez. I like Gomez but you put him by in the MLS is he is half as effective. The MLS isn't good for guys who aren't big, athletic, or fast.

In all seriousness, I would start Adu and I like my chances of beating Mexico if the back four can do their jobs. Adu is superior playmaker to LD10. Not even close either. LD10 is a better player than Adu but that's already known. Adu is also superior in terms of pure skill and ability to handle pressure. LD10 has shown many times that he doesn't handle double teams well while teams thrive if Adu is doubled or triple teamed.

24. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBH, we're not gonna see near what i just showed above, with most European seasons starting a few days later.

25. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not comprehending your point with this statement.