Mexico vs USA August 15 @ Azteca

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by futgod, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Exactly my point, Mexico doesn't get anything from it. In fact I will be surprised if we even sell out Azteca, if this was as big like you say it is then the game would have been sold out already just like it usually happens for a wcq.

2. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How wrong you are. Let me tell you what Mexico will get from it if they tie or lose, a big can of whoop a** from the fans and media. If US loses, oh well, no problem we go forward, but if Mexico ties or loses the whole nation will pound them. This is definitely not a meaningless game, maybe meaningless to US, but not for Mexico. They have to win, friendly or not!

3. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm playing to win.

4. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember the simple rules of trolling US Soccer.

1.) If the U.S lose a high profile friendly, it is becasue they are a terrible team.
    2.) If the U.S win a high profile freindly, it is becasue the other team wasn't trying to win.

Simple, easy to remember and logically bulletproof. Becasue, you know, competitve athletes often times will allow goals to be scored on them because the game is meaningless. Happens all the time.

5. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    This is what I don't get. I don't see a lot of upside for Mexico on this one. If they win, well they were expected to win and no big deal. If they tie or lose, it isn't the end of the world but it is Azteca and the shine is off the apple. The Mexican press will have a field say and it could be viewed by the CentroAmerican countries as a blue print on how to beat Mexico in Mexico (see US v Spain and Spain v Swiss in WC2010).

The US team has a lot of the advantage. The only way the US loses is if they lose big....5-0 big. And if Klinsi bring a 2009 Gold Cup-type roster, well it would be similar to taking candy from a baby.

EDIT: See Borrachin post.

dwsmith1972, RevPOWA and DGreat repped this.
  6. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    no we are not obligated, remember it was klinsmann who asked for this game not mexico. all it does is give the media a job. of course we wouldn't be mexico if we didn't have the yellow journalist licking their chops at the first slip up the nt gives. like i said this is all on the US. but pretty sure you would know better than a mexican.

7. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JK isn't going to and hasn't picked Adu for the roster.
    No Donovan? Please.
    Is F Johnson left or right footed?

8. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm mexican-american so you at least gotta give me credit for knowing both countries. I also know that the nation of Mexico will grill every player if they lose or even tie in their beloved Azteca. That is a lot pressure on the players, but if they play their game and let the smog,altitude and heat take care of the rest they shouldn't have a problem. Either way I stand by my statement more pressure for the Mexicans than US.

Berks repped this.
  9. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I am also Mexican American , and I'm currently in Mexico city so I'm pretty aware of what the mood is here. Are you in Mexico right now? Ask Any one in Mexico and they will tell you this is nothing more but a friendly, people in Mexico dont see this rivalry like Mexicans in the US.

10. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is great that you are in Mexico, but it is still two weeks away and all their attention is in the Olympic team so a friendly two weeks away is not their priority, that will change come Aug. 13-15th or as soon as their Olympic team gets eliminated.

11. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you watch the CCL games with the MLS teams in Mexico? In the below video when LA played Morelia it's obvious as to who is the recipient of the vitriol, but FCD, Seattle and RSL faired not much better.

One hilarious video, but eye opening:

P.S. I think my favorite in here is Adam Cristman busting a gut laughing over the flood of insults being thrown out onto the field.

Also, a great story:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/article/2011/09/15/postcard-mexico-mls-success-boon-ccl

I know this is MLS, not US national team, but I use it as an example of how the rivalry spills over...

12. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    thats an official match not a friendly.

13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Coach would be fired on spot if he pulled in a B team and lost.

14. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Right footed.

Jurgen won't sway from his 4-2-3-1. He has put his system in place with players that work in it. He won't suddenly change that.

15. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    This is beyond idiotic.

Tello repped this.
  16. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ok, I'm calling my cousin on the 14th to ask if he is going to watch the game the next day, if he say's "Wait there's a game tomorrow versus the USA?", then if that happens it proves this game is meaningless because they are probably not advertising it in Mexico. Which is what I suspect. Sadly I haven't seen a commercial or even heard any spanish commentator speak about this game so far. Univision hasn't had their usual "guerra de los vecinos" commercial. But my cousin lives in Mexico DF, so we will see.

17. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would the FMF fire there National Team Manager over a friendly? He has gotten them a Confederations Cup berth, it would seem pretty stupid on the FMF's behalf to do that over something that will not count and would be nothing more then getting our players feet wet in El Azteca. If it was the Hex then yes I could see your logic but this isn't even the Hex yet. Guys calm down this game is nothing more then a test run for the USMNT hell I think this game is a big waste of time but then again Klinnsy seems to think other wise.

I'll watch this game but don't think for a second that the stadium is going to be packed because I highly doubt it, El Tri fans in Mexico could really careless about this game but the El Tri fans here in the USA think differently. I'll wait for the Hex game at Azteca because that's the game that will matter, that will count; the only thing that's at stake here is bragging rights guys. Hopefully this game will be a clean one and nobody gets carded or worst injured but when the game is between USA and El Tri it becomes a toss up.

raza_rebel repped this.
  18. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I get the feeling that the importance of this game will depend on the result... If Mexico wins it is a meaningless friendly, if they lose or tie, it will be more important than the 2009 gold cup.

/p

19. ninjew

ninjew Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Discordia 2.0
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Disgusted by the lack of piss and vomit thrown at Donovan in that video..... :p

But seriously if we don't win, let me go ahead and state right now that this is indeed a meaningless friendly.... unless we win of course.

20. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fully understand that this is a friendly, and I do believe I understand the full value of a friendly. What I am curious about, and I'd like to hear your opinion about this, is why the Mexican FA would agree to schedule this game at el Azteca. IYO, is it purely a money grab? Does the MFA think they won't meet later in the Hex when it, indeed, does count for something?

With the crowd, the smog, the altitude, and the possible heat Mexico has always had a tremendous "home field advantage" which they have always been able to exploit to the fullest, especially in match-ups with the USMNT with something on the line. Even with all that, Mexico does not have more than a one-goal win vs. the US in el Azteca in its last five attempts, going back to 1994.

I seem to have read that, in the recent past when Bradley and maybe even when Arena was the US coach, the USSF had requested to play a friendly or two vs. Mexico in el Azteca, but Mexico has always refused. Why would Mexico permit a run-out with the current group of US players, with a new coach, giving both a chance to "test the waters" with the Hex essentially right around the corner?

What do you think?

21. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If that was the case it would have been done in the US

raza_rebel repped this.
  22. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Took ESPN until halftime of Galaxy - Madrid game to even mention the game. No commercials for it either. Maybe it's still too early? Either way very disappointing as usual.

23. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Perhaps they respect and in some ways still admire Jurgen klinsman. Another thing that we are not able to see right now is a possible contract that calls for Mexico to play US in the US, for example Mexico will play US in Mexico, but US has to play them 2-3 times in the united states which is a lot of $$$$$ for the FMF. It is not the same playing US as oppose to playing costa rica team in US soil. The difference can be playing in a smaller stadium as oppose to playing in Dallas, Chicago, rose bowl.

24. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest who knows why they would agree to a match friendly against the USA, because there is nothing to gain from this, I don't think it has anything to do with money otherwise it would've been done on US soil and not in Mexico. Something seems fishy that the FMF would finally agree to a friendly on Mexican soil and at Azteca of all places. I would rather they have played this game at a different stadium other then Azteca, because if we tie or dare I say it win at Azteca it won't hold as much weight as it would if it was done in the Hex this game would be put off as either we were lucky or El Tri didn't give it there all because it was meaningless.

I want the USMNT to win at El Azteca but not in a friendly game but in the Hex game, that game I know would be something to remember because if we were to tie or win an actual Hex game in Azteca with both teams giving it there all it would be the shock of the ages.

I just think that the FMF has there motives and that we will never know what those motives are until the game begins so all we can do is wait and see.

25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is the animosity comes from somewhere, and that doesn't just "vanish" in a friendly. Look back at our friendlies, do any of them just seem like run-outs?

Stadium might not be filled, but for those who do go, I don't believe it's a "meaningless friendly." I hate applying "meaningless" to any soccer game the national team plays. They all mean something, just a matter of what.

And after the game we will all be here, for both sides picking it apart. That makes it anything but meaningless as well. Plus, this game is a grand total of three weeks before qualifying games for both of us - making it a solid litmus test and time to get the team further integrated.

Why the hell are people discounting this game? It's a rivalry, revel in it. Quit trying to be blase about it. Jesus, this stuff is what this sport is all about. Saying it's meaningless just makes people on both sides sound arrogant.