Mexico vs USA August 15 @ Azteca

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by futgod, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Just heard it from the President of the Mexican Federation. He confirmed the game between the two rivals. Should be a good game, but I think its a mistake by the Mexican federation giving the US the opportunity to play at the Azteca in a friendly. Oh well, it should be fun, first time the Clasico is played in Mexico in a friendly.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't make sense

soccerdisciple repped this.
  3. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The U.S. has never won at Azteca. If Mexico loses, they also lose some Azteca swag.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  4. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I just believe that one of the reason's why it's so hard to beat Mexico in El Azteca is the mystique and the rarity of games played there by Concacaf teams. I believe players are very intimidated when they play there, and the more you play there the less you get intimidated.

ImaPuppy and It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  5. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I wouldn't mind Dempsey though, and Howard

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh god another insecure Mexican fan showing up to trash talk. I swear it's like throwing bread in a city park. You make a thread with Mexico in the title and you'll get a rush of pigeons flying in to do the same lame trash talk routine.

7. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    I know if Mexico somehow loses or ties, it would be seen as a great achievement for USA. But surely it loses some that luster because it is a friendly, right?

8. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, and not to play the moral victory card but we get a "test run" which could help us later in qualifying for when it really counts. A favorable result (draw/win) could break down some of that psychological hurdle when it comes to US @ Azteca.

Berks repped this.
  9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that's exactly the goal. Much like how the 1980 Olympic team played the soviets in a warm up, got steamrolled but when they played again the Americans were no longer in awe and knew what to expect. This will give a whole host of players a good taste of the environment so they aren't completely overwhelmed in the qualifiers. Combined with being an august friendly I'd expect many of the veterans to get a break from this one.

Also interesting to note that Klinsmann seems to have a consistent strategy of scheduling away friendlies. So far this year alone we will go to panama, Italy Mexico and maybe Russia. Last year we had Belgium and France.

10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should play more games at the Azteca.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    its a good way to add to your Ignore list.

13. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, just to shut'em up.

14. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be even sweeter if we beat them 2-0. The Aztecazo!

15. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
  16. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing Mexico is great but I really hate it when we play them in friendlies. This is a really special rivalry and we should only be playing them in meaningful games (WCQ, WC, GC etc.).

17. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gives the US a practice run at Azteca before we play them in the Hex.

18. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm under the impression that you're trolling or haven't really watched this sport before because the level of self serving ingorance of this comment is mind altering.

Borrachin repped this.
  19. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just concerned about who would get released. Is this an offical fifa date or are we going to have to field a camp cupcake like team?

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the August date is still official.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If this was yet another friendly on US soil between the nations.........I'd say it was a waste of time.

But having the game in Azteca makes it completely worthwhile for us.

22. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    and then we play in russia in november, they are the 2018 hosts

novvember can be some what cold

this is before the 2 jamaican games..

stylwise not a good prep, but i see both teams playing witjout their very best

23. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to college with Simmons, graduating one year behind him at Holy Cross. Every month he would publish a column in the college newspaper called "Ramblings" that would just knock your socks off every time. He is a fantastic writer and is having a very successful career at ESPN, but the guy is as "Merican as apple pie, and writes about soccer that way. I don't like it when a mainstream writer tries to encourage others to get interested in soccer. It's as if he found a very curious bug that could do a great trick and he is encouraging others to look at it as well with profound curiosity. For those like Simmons soccer will always be thus. "Wow, I can't believe these people care this much about this sport!" They'll never get it. I appreciate the attempt, but in the end I would rather read someone who lives and breathes it as most of us do.

soccersubjectively and Bees Knees repped this.
  24. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    First step, look at the bug.
    Second, get somewhat curious about how this bug moves.
    Third, realize the bug is more interesting than most of the bugs you have been watching all your life.
    Fourth, follow the bug around damn near everywhere it goes.

My belief... the more people we have at each level, the better. You tell someone at Step 1 that this sport is worth living and breathing, they laugh you out of the room. If Bill tells them they might want to be a little more curious about the sport, then maybe they move to Step 2.

25. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get it, but to me it's all a bit patronizing. But in retrospect, I was once like most American fans, a true football fanatic, and then I drank the kool-aid at USA '94 and never looked back, so I will cut him a bit of slack.