Mexico vs Iceland NOV 19 (R)

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by sidspaceman, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Lavolpe has got to go :(

2. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    what a *#*#*#*#*#*# game. i swear i will never go to another mexico friendly. mexico needs to stop playing games in the US, they need to learn to play REAL away games, away from Azteca.

3. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Campos didn't deserve that! He should have started the match, and not come on late in a game that Mexico wasn't doing well.

4. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    was it jsut me or was campos teary-eyed on the interview after the game?

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He seemed a tad bit teary-eyed. I was suprised that he switched his jersey with the player from Iceland, thought he would want to keep the last jersey he will ever wear as a member of El Tri.

6. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Somebody please tell Lavolpe that if JP Rodriguez couldn´t get it done against Iceland´s B team in San Fransisco, he won´t get it done against Costa Rica in Saprissa.

7. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Now I'm really glad I didn't go to the game...

Dull, dull, dull......

Really, what is the point of playing games like that ?

8. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    $$$

9. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Where was our fvckin midfield? seriously Octavio Valdez, Arce, and JP Rodriguez just plain suck huge Elephant balls. Iceland didnt do anything either their defense was *#*#*#*# yet we still didnt manage to do anything. I dont think Lavolpe should leave i think some of the players he chooses again and again need to leave. The positives: Bofo Bautista hands-down the best player on the pitch. Emilio Mora was ehhh the reason was because he did not recieve any balls from our *#*#*#*#*#*# midfield.

10. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I was talking about worth from a competitive viewpoint but your point is well taken. :)

11. amanzo81

amanzo81 Member

Apr 30, 2003
    home
    Club:
    Club América
    Friendlies

Well, now since the FMF has all this money from the nike and the games in the US, maybe they could use some of it to develop all those players they say are missing in mexico.

oh, i forgot that typing doesnt really show sarcasm. the players arent missing, they just arent getting call ups

there was no need to play this game. i can see a tribute game for campos (and maybe el matador too), but it should have been against an opponent with some significance to him and the should have waited untill he actually anounced his retirement. Horrible game tactics wise. Lavolpe still hasnt done anything with the national team ouside of Azteca, and even then they only played one good game against brazil. As is stands right now, i dont see this team making it out of the concacaf for the WC in 2006

12. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Re: Friendlies

They beat Bolivia.
    Don't worry, they can make 4th place and the playoff with Saudi Arabia.

13. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: Friendlies

Now I wouldn't go that far. This is a typical friendly for Mexico. For whatever reason - bad call-ups, players not motivated to play certain foes, etc., Mexico just does not do well in these types of games (bad opponents, meaningless friendly). Even when they win, they just don't play well.

When the games are real, they'll start winning again. This is CONCACAF so even a mediocre Mexican squad will advance.

14. Machetazo

Machetazo Member

Mar 20, 2002
    L.A.
    Re: Re: Friendlies

Another jealous Central-American? :rolleyes:

15. amanzo81

amanzo81 Member

Apr 30, 2003
    home
    Club:
    Club América
    overboard

I know i went a little far in stating my dislike for this team, but i just dont see them doing that well. I know how everyone says that when it counts, they will do well, but i dont think thats the way things work. You cant just flip a switch and suddenly play 10 times better. these games are meant to fine tune your team and see how you stand against sone different styles of play other than your own. I really havent seen any progress by this team.

16. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Friendlies

Teams, coaches and fans who look at these matches as "meaningless friendlies" are not helping their teams cause.
    They are important preparation for the "meaningful" matches and beyond finding team form and trying things and players, a winning attitude is always helpful. :)

17. ricv56

ricv56 New Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Bellflower
    having a coach whose head isn't up his ass and players who don't absolutely suck is perhaps even more helpful.

ricv56

18. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: Re: Re: Friendlies

I don't have to help my team's cause. I've just followed them enough to know that this is just the way they play these types of matches.

Would I like them to win more of these ? Of course. Would I like them to play more intense well-played friendlies ? Heck yeah.

But it doesn't happen.

I do wish Lavolpe already had his core players, but I don't think he has them yet. Does that worry me ? Well, were in CONCACAF, so no I'm not worried about them not making the world cup, but I would like to see a more coherent team.

The real gauge for the team is the Copa America in Peru next year