MEXICO vs HAITI (Gold Cup Quarterfinals)

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by NCCFBALL, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. austin23

austin23 Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Semarang, Indonesia
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I used to hate Venado Medina in the NT. But in the 3 games he has played in Copa Oro, he has shown improvements. Hands down he is better than Jagger. And he runs and make dangerous cross-ins when he has the ball. What he needs badly is someone who can connect his passes and crosses. Maybe Franco or Vuoso or Bofo...a tronco (a well placed tronco actually).

What I'm saying is Venado Medina is alone...so he needs all the support from the team to create something. Just my 2 cents.

2. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    unfortunately hes the best destroyer mexico has.

i wish he was better on the ball.

also, from what i´ve seen of venado is a lot of the same.

he´s done less step overs, but it doesn´t help that there´s 2 guys in the box to cross it to and then you have venado sending a wild cross to no one.

3. austin23

austin23 Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Semarang, Indonesia
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Venado had 2 assists vs Nicaragua. Once to Barrera and once to Jagger that resulted in PEnalty. I'm not riding his nuts. Of course when it comes to scoring Venado fails bigtime. but his speed and passing may come handy in this tournament. And it would be even better if Mexico has someone who can connect with all those crosses.

4. austin23

austin23 Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Semarang, Indonesia
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The problem is that we are sending the crosses to Omarcito who can not finish to save his life. If we have a decent header then it would be different.

5. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    the problem is that it doesn´t matter who´s in the box venado won´t find them.

6. austin23

austin23 Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Semarang, Indonesia
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Borgetti on steroid would find them :D

7. Ronrris

Ronrris Member+

Feb 13, 2008
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    apparently he has found them, since he has the most assist on the squad......;)

8. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We've got a couple of options:

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

9. Chivasporas

Chivasporas Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    ask for the day off, i did :D

10. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I thought about that already, I can't though.

I think I saw a friendly coming up here soon after this. I might try and go to that.

11. El Burro

El Burro Member

Jan 25, 2009
    San Pancho, Califas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This forum is biased as F*ck. Both Medina and Gio have played the last two games, and Venado has stood out a lot more in both games. In fact, it was Gio that was taken out in the game against Gwada, not Medina. Few people here give Medina any credit, yet are all over Gio's balls for what, playing well against a Sub-20 Venezuelan team? Gio disappeared for minutes at a time in the last two games. I'm not saying you have to ride Medina's nuts, or that he's Cristiano Ronaldo, in fact, given his inconsistency, he will probably disappear for the rest of the tournament, and Aguirre will probably start him on the 12th only to take him out in the second half because he is hiding inside his shell...but credit should be given where credit is due, and Medina has been one of the most, if not the most active players in the last two matches. This probably doesn’t say much given our rivals and the fact that we didn’t exactly play like Brazil, but still…

1 person likes this.
  12. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If you define standing out by making runs down the flank (he is fast) and then crossing the ball 'a lo pendejo' over and over again then you are right. I think Gio realizes you should probably spot a target before sending a pass in.

13. El Burro

El Burro Member

Jan 25, 2009
    San Pancho, Califas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Right, but first you have to get to the point where you can actually send a cross. How many times did Gio do that?

14. Carcacha

Carcacha Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The thing about Medina is that he is a perfect example of the Mexican player of yesterday that we're trying to get away from...meaning he has no size or ridiculous talent/skill yet may look good out there due to having lots and lots of heart, which can be enough against some teams but not others. Medina didnt do shit against Panama because they were all strong, physical players who were just as fast as him. The fact that the dude just runs as fast as he can down the wings and crosses it with his head down are an indicator that he does not possess the skills/technique/talent enough to offset his physical inferiority....that's where the inconsistency stems from since he may shine against clown teams like Venezuela but then be mediocre or poor against better teams.

Medina falls into the Arce, lucho perez category of Mexican players.....however, what helps Medina is that he is super fast, a hustler, and a fighter meaning he'll leave it all on the field, even if he is outmatched and sucks. With our lack of explosive and hard fighting players, I am not surprised that he is starting....do you think Arce would be doing better? No

As far as the Gio talk, dude Gio had like 2-3 shots on goal including that nice free kick. It was obvious Gio was tired and I am glad he was taken out. You gotta remember that he is not playing his natural winger position so his touches are limited.

15. Carcacha

Carcacha Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Gio is not playin his natural position right now. Aguirre has him playin behind Bravo. Put him out in Venados position and he will be sending quality crosses. What Aguirre should do is put Medina on the left wing and Gio on the right but is not.

16. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I understand that but that's like talking about Omar Bravo. Sure he gets in a position to score and he gets the ball there too but does he score?

17. Magnus2

Magnus2 Member

Sep 7, 2008
    New York
    i got to call bulsh!t, gio is better period if you noticed the last few games who the hell gives the ball to gio? he plays to our strengths with accurate solid passes, not crossing when there are towering defenders marking your man, i've seen gio have to back track alot in order to get the ball, he needs to be put on the wing or the middle.

18. El Burro

El Burro Member

Jan 25, 2009
    San Pancho, Califas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree with your previous post about Medina not being good but having heart (like I said, he is no Cristiano Ronaldo); however, I believe my point was missed. The only thing I was saying is that I don't really buy all the Gio nut-riding. I don't really think he is the superstar people make him out to be (atleast not now). I am not doubting his potential; however, I think people get wet and start dripping over nothing.

It was my understanding that Gio prefers the right flank... The times that Harry played him in the FA Cup, he played on the right. With Vela out, we don't have many choinces on the left.

19. El Burro

El Burro Member

Jan 25, 2009
    San Pancho, Califas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Don't get hurt... I never said Medina was better... only that he had two good games.

20. Carcacha

Carcacha Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Gio is not playin on either flank right now. He was positioned to in the first game until Vela got injured. That's my point...and even when he has been placed behind the 9 the whole GC, he has shown good glimpses. No one says he is a superstar, but he has been probably one of our most dangerous players this Gold Cup, that is all. It may not be sayin much, but when that's all you really got you can only remain hopeful that Aguiree will put him on the wing sooner or later

21. quijas

quijas Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Guadalajara, Jalisco
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i would like to see :
    gringo---------magalllon---------Duenas--------Pinto

Gio-----------Torrado-------------castro-------Medina

---------------Guille----------Vela-------------------

22. srchmaster

srchmaster Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    home
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    For those who live here in Dallas, the team arrived in the morning. they have the day off so i'm guessing hey will be at Gallerias in the afternoon. Does anybody know where They staying at?

23. Ronrris

Ronrris Member+

Feb 13, 2008
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    why the HELL, do all you guys and aguirre insist on putting el venado on the left....
    and then you complain about the crappy crosses....pfft

he plays wide on the right, as a forward......

24. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Because he needs to enganchar and shoot with his right, the same way gio does it with his left when he is on the right. He is not there to cross, he is there to shoot.

Gio has been hands down, Mexico's best player this tournament. It is really too bad that Vela got injured, but now he has 3 games to get it all back. I don't expect he'll start against the Haitians, but he'll play.

ochoa

Juarez, magallon, rodriguez, pinto

noriega, torrado, jagger/esquivel

gio, franco, medina

subs -
    barrera for jagger/esquivel
    vela for medina

25. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This.

I've noticed Venado has the ability to send equally crappy crosses with his left as well.