Mexico VS. England

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Wildman262, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Wildman262

Wildman262 New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Who here thinks that England has a better National Team than Mexico? If so, why?

Personally, I think Mexico has a better team, but I'd be interested in responses from some others.

2. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexico having a better national team than England ?

Sorry, no.

We are in the process of re-building the team from scratch. Lavolpe is just starting to get his feet wet when it comes to player selection and he's been mixing up combinations of young players and experienced players. We've been searching for creative mid-field players forever and we have no idea who will be up front for the WC qualifiers next year. We try different combinations in just about every game.

England is miles ahead of us.

3. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are pretty even. Play home and away, they'd probably both win at home. Both did well in the World Cup. Winning their group, beating Italy and Croatia, and getting to the quarterfinals, beating Argentina and Denmark.

Mexico also won the Gold Cup (at home). England won their Euro 04 Qualifying group including a win and a draw with Turkey.

4. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    England >>> Mexico
    though i do think we could beat them in Azteca...

5. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You guys need to play more outside of the Azteca.

6. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Mexico VS. England

You mean neutral locations like Los Angeles, Denver, and Houston? :D

I must say they did go undefeated in Japan! :)

7. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: Re: Mexico VS. England

we do

8. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    This makes sense if you were to take last year's team into consideration, but realistically, right now the MNT is really just trying to find an identity.......I don't honestly don't know what this team will be like when the qualifiers come around.

England has had continuity and has an identity and knows what they're after. I would definitely give the edge to England.

9. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    England has had no problems manhandeling Mexico in their last two match ups. Yehp they are clearly the better side. I wouldnt mind seeing this match up again. Its one of the teams i would want Mexico to face more often..

10. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    now dont forget the team Meza took to England was crap

11. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I want a friendly with England more than anybody since we always tank with them. Last time I heard we were playing England, I thought "Great hopefully we will do better than last time when we lost eventhough everyone in the English team was injured". And then they proceeded to play what many people say was the worst game in recent Mexico's history.

Who can forget the Goleada de dia de las madres in the 60´s that endend 8-1 or something like that.

As for Mexico being better than England, no way.

12. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Aguilas is right..

Our WC2002 squad, minus Cuauh's crying and the U.S. mano negra, would probably beat England's WC squad relatively easy.

They played a very defensive 4-4-2.

Our midfield tore teams apart. Our strikeforce was solid. Our goalkeeper was incredible. Not to mention our D.

Then, we "lost."

To this day, I can't let it go.

How coincidental:

That we play 3 great games, including one against a straight favorite in Italy, en route to winning our group, then we crash out to the seemingly weaker opponent.

That we lose to our regional rival to the north of us.

That Aguirre hightailed it out and straight to Pamplona. He didn't return to Mexico for a while and when he did, it was to submit his WC coach's report.

Now I don't blame Aguirre.

But that match was way too shady for my taste.

Underestimating the U.S.? My ass. We are Mexicans. We don't underestimate. Others do.

13. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No Manches, Rafa

Our 2-1 (or was it 1-0?) loss in 97/98 at Wembley was a great f'n game that the England press declared should have been Mexico's.

Anyone remember waaay back (for me) 1986 preparation friendly at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in which we beat England?

When was the last time a European squad came to Azteca in full force?

Most teams could not beat us there. Unless Meza or Lavolpe were at the helm. :(

I'll take that to the bank.

14. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Re: No Manches, Rafa

It was 2-0 and Mexico sent their A squad while England had a bunch of players injured and had a B squad if I remember well. Yes, I think Mexico would win in Azteca but that is not the point because I'm sick of only winning in Azteca.

As for the US stuff, Mexico lost that game because Mexico like always, crumble when they need to win. When we play teams that are tougher, we play better. When we have to win, we crumble. After the 1st goal, Aguirre panicked and so did the team, then he made those stupid changes and we lost. With Ecuador, Mexico was calmer but didn´t play as good as with Italy.

As for not underestimating, what was El Salvador before the gold cup,T &T and CR in WC qual?

15. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks. :)

Although, Couldn't the argument be the same the other way around?

Are we not tired of losing in Europe? Why don't they play us over here?

Same argument, is it not?

It'd be a whole different story. We never get that chance. We just beat up on American continent teams.

But yeah, I guess we have to learn how to win bigtime games away from home.

:(

16. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Because if we don´t go to other places, we will never grow. We will become like Bolivia or Saudi Arabia. We already have proven ourselves here and Mexico won´t get another WC in a long time.

17. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    exacly, i would like to see our seleccion play vs italy @ olimpico , vs holland @ amsterdam arena, vs england @ old trafford, vs spain @ bernabeu , etc. thats were our future MNT players will show what they got...

18. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    ???????????

LOL.......Us playing at Olimpico, Amsterdam Arena, Old Trafford, and the Bernabeu is not going to happen.

1st. Calendars are too congested
    2nd. We have a deal to play in the U.S. a certain number of games with AEG.......we sold out for money and got what????????? Freaking Lavolpe bitching and moaning about Mexico doesn't have this.......Mexico doesn't have that.