Mexico vs. Canada Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by VictoryWePredict4Thee, Jul 29, 2021.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that ref wanted to get that game over ASAP. Check wouldnt have cleared if it went to Extra time

Marius Tresor repped this.
  2. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Just watched replay. Man, I really hate Mexico’s team. They are so entirely unlikable. Gross.

Also, both those teams looked significantly better than the US. Qualifying v Canada in match day 2 is going to be a major challenge.

VictoryWePredict4Thee repped this.
  3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mexico backline is a step down from past mexios

4. redandwhite99

redandwhite99 Member

West Bromwich Albion
    Canada
    Jun 16, 2021
    Tough loss to Mexico, but Canada may have Mexico to thank for our missing piece.

Stephen Eustaquio born in Canada lived there until he was 7 and moved to Portugal. He featured in matches for Portugal's under 21 team. He played in Portugal with Chaves and one of the coaches had joined Cruz Azul and convinced them to trigger his 500K buyout clause to bring him to Cruz Azul. In his first game 5 minutes in he tore his ACL.

Cruz Azul basically tossed him aside. Canada had been in contact with him prior to his injury and when he got injured the Canadians brought him into camp several times and helped him work through his injury. Herdman himself said he was not getting the support he need. Canada stepped in and with a clear path to international football we were able to sell him on making the switch. He was incredibly grateful to the support our medical team gave him.

Cruz Azul sold him back to Portugal and he had a great season voted best 11 in Portugal with links to Napoli and Sporting he likely makes a move in the coming weeks. He's such an impactful player to the Canadian side.

TxEx and Robert Borden repped this.
  5. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Just catching the highlights. That Tajon Buchanan goal was nasty. Wow.

VictoryWePredict4Thee repped this.
  6. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Is there a board that has a Canadian game day thread for this game? Mex's antics are so amazing and shocking to me .... I'd like to read the Canadian reaction to their clownery

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If you think the USSF is doing it to be a good neighbor and they're not getting a juicy slice from the Mexico friendlies, I have a bridge to sell you.

9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Everyone knows it's about money. That is clear.

The hypocrisy of the Fed rolling our pride jerseys and then sanctioning friendlies for the most bigoted fan base/Fed in the world is of a shocking level. I can't believe that the media isn't calling them out for such a crazy level of hypocrisy. The only thing I can think of is that the gay rights movement in the Fed is primarily driven by the female side, while the Mexico chant is inherently against males. That is, the people fighting for gay rights don't give a crap about gay male rights. Not enough to turn down the money, anyway. Reminiscent of the famous scene in Casablanca:

"I'm shocked, shocked! to find gambling occurring in my establishment"
    "here are your winnings."

10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That was interesting, thank you!

The funny thing was that there was a sort of Navin Johnson "I'm somebody!" element, with fans taking pride in the the fact that Mexico was pulling their antics against team Canada.

The weird thing was that there were several "even the American announcers" comments, as if U.S. announcers have the same inherent bias against Canada that Canada does against the U.S. Sorry Canada, Americans would generally cheer for our good neighbors to the north. To the extent we don't, it's due to the constant stream of vitriol emanating therefrom. Same for Mex. When I first started following soccer, I was like, "well, Mexico is good, they'll be my second team." That lasted until I saw serial choke-holds, and kicking Alexi Lalas in the balls for no reason, that hasn't relented in the 30 odd decades I've been following.

TimB4Last repped this.