Mexico vs Brasil post game thread [R]

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team: News, Analysis & History' started by sidspaceman, Sep 12, 2007.

1. nopalnation

nopalnation Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    what?:eek:

the U20 team that beat everyone except the eventual champion by one goal played terrible?

I don't know about Chucho being better than Sanchez, but that U20 team was awesome, so..... STFU!!:cool:

2. Banner or Hulk?

Mar 11, 2006
    Ramirez had the benefit of having some really solid players to make him look good.

If he couldnt get them to win a u20 what makes anybody think he'll be able to win a World Cup?

3. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree with Hulk, IMO neither of them are proving to be great. The U20 went far in the tournament but played an ugly brand of footy. The reason they went so far is because our talent outweighed our lack of good play. The U20 was not awesome as advertised.

edit: Thumbs down on Chucho for changing what got him there. Vela and Gio switched after the U17.

4. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    why be an A-hole about it? If you read it as you say, then you already wasted your time.

like socaldan said, mix in some paragraphs.

no need to be rude.

5. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    What i don't get is that, everyone on the committee seems to approve the style of play, even though it is essentially the same as Lavolpe's that so many criticized a few years prior to the fact. At least then, we had Zinha and Luicito to adequately provide an offensive threat. We seem to rely too much on flank play, which is exactly what the lavolpe style of play does, with the two wingers/defenders/forwards. Yet, when they have their meetings, everyone seems to approve the direction the team is going, Vergara even went so far as to say that Mexico would win the next World Cup.

I just don't get it, it's the same formula being used the the che assistant, that Lavolpe used, with LESS chances of being effective offensively.

One part of me thinks it's necessary to play this style, such as versus Brazil when you have two offensive midfielders and two forwards to play against, but another part of me thinks that we should be able to play with as many offensive threats, we have the talent to do so, we shouldn't be scared and play a defensive formation.

I don't know, i guess i'll have to see how things go in the Olympics when things are a bit more important. Three tournements should be a good gauge of how the processo is coming along.

6. El Chibchombiano

El Chibchombiano New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Lake Zurich
    vos me mal entendiste...quiero decir que hubo mas jugadas polemicas en EEUU v Brasil que Mexico...por ejemplo, si fue penal contra Robinho?, si fue penal contra Wolff?, si fue falta contra Ronaldinho?...la unica jugada asi anoche fue la tarjeta roja...pero nadie de Brasil ni del tele pudo quejarse de eso fue tan obvio...(como la roja contra bradley)
    ambos equipos jugaron sin quejarse mucho al arbitro mientras que el domingo parecia que alguien siempre estaba reclamando con archundia...
    el punto de todo es decir que Brasil es simplemente mas talentoso en mas posiciones que EEUU y Mexico..dime alguien, cuales son las
    debilidades de brasil?

7. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

fireEagleCuauhtemoc www.twitter.com/alonsobueno1

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Mira nadien duda que brasil es el mejor equipo del mundo, la unica debilidad de brasil es no es su juego es su mentalidad de aveces podras subestimar paises que luego se les roban un victoria ....como mexico oo etc.....bueno tambien se puede decir que la porteria siempre a sido una debilidad de brasil no mas mira el gol de mexico como sale el portero mal...aunque fue una linda jugada...en futbol todos sabes que brasil es el mejor......Estaba escuchando espn radio...y tienen razon Se esta escuchando mucha critica negativa de parte de la prensa mexicana acerca de mexico......que realmente jugo un buen partido!!!! estabamos 1-1 hasta los ultimos 11 minutos del partido!!por dios...se jugo contra el mejor equipo del mundo...nuesto medio campo estaba chido y defensa(aparte de la falla)...marquez era el papito de ronbinho, en general avia mas cosas positivas que negativas, y es un partido amistoso ...no ai que poner tanta atencion al resultado mejor a lo colectivo!

8. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Given the amount of posts, I'm sure some of this has been said before, but I think deserves saying again.

1-Ochoa!! ('nuf said)
    If he's not in Europe by next year, I blame it on America's lack of access to the media and marketing.:D

2- We need two defensive midfielders against Brazil. If we had only one, we might have had the ball more, but we'd certainly have faced more scoring chances against (that's what happens when you are playing 'dinho and kaka). But do we really need two against Panama? (oh well, it's Hugo's decision)

3- Opponents will (try to) neutralize our best player. The key is to figure out how to overcome that. Fast forward to 2010. If we expect our best player to be Gio (say on the right), then as Gio pulls his man away from the middle, we need a dm who can push forward through the middle of the field (as well as a right lateral who can exploit that side if Gio moves his man to the middle). As much as I like how they perform their traditional roles, Torrado/Correa and Osorio/Castro aren't quite the answers to that problem.

4- Thinking about both the olympics and 2010, I wish we had seen more of Gio and Vela against Panama. In Hugo's 4-4-2, I think I prefer Gio as "Arce" than as "Castillo", in good part because it keeps Nery on the field as roaming forward. Vela probably works best as a target forward, but I just haven't seen him enough against older/better competition.

5- I also wish Araujo had played at dm for a few minutes against Brazil. You never see him lose his cool, and I'd have liked to have seen if he could keep his composure against that midfield.

Going back to #2, Lapuente always says that to beat Brazil you need to attack. Assuming you keep the 2 dms, is it better to send traditional dms forward (to attack), or is it better to play offensive-minded mids as dms, or some combination?

Playing Brazil is a special case. But this comes to mind because if we truly are stuck with Hugo's 2 dms (and 2 outside wingers) against every team, then a way to control the middle better is to have dms who feel comfortable pushing forward (and not just disrupting attacks). If we don't have dms who are good at this, then maybe we need to assign/convert at least one offensive middie to dm duties (for instance what Hugo did with Arce at times over the summer).

9. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

10. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    Chiqui- thanks for pointing it out.. My bad, I guess it came out a little rude.

what i meant by my uncouth, impolite reply, was that every single point that san alejandro said was horrible.

I was about to reply but i didn't want to waste my time.

11. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    After reading much of this thread I cant help but wonder how many of you make it through the day. Anyways, no point discussing the finer points of tactics with a bunch of idiot neubs, my main concern here is the MVP designation.

Ochoa proved why he is great keeper, he made many key saves but most were saves that looked more spectacular than they were. Like the double save on the Kaka shot, I believe Vagner shot the rebound and it went straight to Memo who was still on the ground.

Perhaps his best save was the Edu Drascena point blank header he blocked, that was pure reflexes on Memos part. Still, Guardado overall had more of an impact and deserves the Man of the Match.

Not only did Guardado create the most dangerous plays, and goal, he even cleared a Robinho header from the line. Memo is ready to hold down the starting position, I just hope he doesnt turn like Campos and plays more for the camera.

12. Tello

Tello BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 20, 2006
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sup Guys,

I got back from the game at around 5am last night. I was really surprised at how many Brasilians were at the game, it was about 95% Brasilian in the Stadium. I have never seen Mexican fans get outnumbered by so much. What i did like about the Brasilians is that they are good sports and dont taunt the other teams fans. I heard alot of ''Good Game man'' after the game. What kind of pissed me off was the huge number of ''bandwagon'' fans that were there, alot of white people who just showed up either to see the circus act that is Brasil or to just get bombed and hangout. I guess it was just something to do on a weeknight. I hated it when they chanted for Brasil even though they cant name one player on the team other than Dihno. I went with My Gf, Sis, Cuniado, brother and my old man. It was a brutal road trip but overall a pretty cool experiance.

The Game:

As we expected Brasil dominated possesion, that didnt surprise me. I was impressed by our ''Brasilian style'' goal, great string of passes and an easy finish. We were hanging in there pretty good but to me Hugo Sanchez and Rafa Marquez blew it for us. Hugo blew it when he subbed out Nery, and Rafa blew it when he left a free shot from close range to Kaka. They are the best team in the world, there is no shame in losing to them.

Looking Foward:

The way our talent is developing we will be easily the strongest team in the CONCACAF come WCQ. We are gonna have an incredible Starting 11 with a lot of players playing in Europe. We are also going to have alot of depth since we have our other U-17 stars playing in the Mexican league, and some of our old gaurd to call on incase any members of out ideal 11 wont be available for some reason.

Look for this come World Cup Qualifying:

-------------------------------Ochoa------------------------------------

Osorio------------Marquez-----------------Magallon---------------Salcido

----------------------Pardo-----------Torrado---------------------------

Arce-----------------------------------------------------------Guardado

---------------------Castillo-----------Dos Santos-----------------------

Come WCQ this team will be the strongest team that the CONCACAF has ever seen. This Line-up has 7 European based players and six of them will be playing in the Champions league this year. With this team we will enter the world's elite. There is a very bright future for us, lets just be patient. The time will come, very soon Mexico will be one of the World's Best. i dont see how anyone can doubt it.

13. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

i totally agree with you, y haciendo un analises sin tocar se el corazon....and observing soccer, i agree that mexico at one point in my lifetime will be one of the best in the world, just because we work hard with our youth programs sub 15-17-20-23(although mexicans sometimes beg to differ, but when you look at other latin american countrys and see there organazition , you realize wow mexico is organized and passionate about their soccer) , Specially when you look at other latin american countrys besides brasil and arg, You realize how grateful we should be of how great are players play as a team..and i apreciate it more..wether we lost with brasil or won.

14. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    The traffic was a mess I live in Boston and got back home at 2:30AM. As far as mexican fans getting outnumbered, I expected it because Boston (and Massachusetts in general) has a huge community of Brazilians. And there are not a ot of Mexicans around here. I'd say a bunch of the Mexico supporters were from other latino countries, at least where I was sitting.

As far as the white people coming to see the game, I would say a lot of them sitting around me were Brazilians (they spoke brazilian portuguese and some were singing those portuguese songs). As far as you getting pissed at non-brazilian supporting Team Brazil, I think you were just envious of their support. :p :D

15. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

there is no such thing as a mexican supporter-that is from another latino country.....trust me

16. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

specially not from south or central america

17. Tello

Dec 20, 2006
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    lol no, i could tell which ones were Brasilian and which ones were not. Thank you. I wasnt talkin about the light-skinned Brasilians i mean actual white people who didnt know what was going on. I heard them.

i was sitting really close. Section 110 Row 14. Thats were i saw them. I cant really speak for other parts of the stadium because alot of Brasilians are lightskinned.

18. Tello

Dec 20, 2006
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    In Europe there was MANY non-Mexican Mexico supporters during the World Cup

EDIT: Blah, nevermind. I just realized that u said south america...my bad

19. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

ya outside out of all the AMERIcas.....mexico is a beloved country, its country that holds history, carisma, and friendly. But Im talking about the World excluding central and south america.

20. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    edit: this was a post about mexicans view on what is "white people". Since I noticed a moderator complained about this being an off-topic discussion, I moved it to the mexican NSR.

21. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

he should of just said...Anglo-americans

22. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What's up? I gues you could call me one of the non-brazilian brazil fans, but I have been following them since the eighties:). I was at the game and know the players.

Seriously though, we could not help but admire the poise and play of this mexican side. I have not been a fan of Mexican style soccer ever (I used to watch it in the noneties when i had no other choice on TV). The way the Mexico team handled and schooled the samba boys was really classy. I have to say I will check this team out again, if only on TV to see what becomes of it.

Your goalie has ba**s.

Brazil were mediocre last night. They could learn a lot about TEAM from El Tri.

Good luck.

23. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Finally some smart posting instead of just hating on Hugo and looking at the negatives of the game. This friendly despite the result was a learning experience and not something to be pissed about. I'm alrite with losing friendlies to Brasil if it means learning from it and getting deep in the WC and first in WCQ.

24. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Thankx for your comment man

25. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil relied on a couple of individuals and Brazil is Brazil, but you guys have moved up lately. I don't mind having you guys continue this trend. The kings around the world have to be kept on their toes.