Mexico USA: Match Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OUsoccer11

OUsoccer11 New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Bob was obviously not prepared for us getting a lead, and he shat his pants when it happened.

2. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree that losing at Azteca is no shock. I'm more suprised at how bad the USMNT played. I thought we would really give it our all and I just didn't see it. After the US goal it had to be 75-80% possesion of Mex...the result is not suprising but they way they played was downright awful...

3. Appleanche

Appleanche Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he probably means giving up 3 goals in a single half to lose it kind of cave.

4. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over 500 posts. Thread closed.

New thread here....

...Oh wait I'm not a mod. :eek:

5. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People can blame the ref, the altitude, hell, even swine flu, but the whole squad from coach on down showed no fire in their bellies. It took those dead ball scraps to bring out the fight (pun intended) out of our Yanks. Finally, this sums up my day both at work, now home:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE"]YouTube - Network - Mad as Hell Scene[/ame]

6. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    that's a good point, but doesn't explain a 36 year old Blanco totally outplaying Bradley/Clark in the middle, and the total inability of our European based players to maintain any semblance of possession.

Face it (superdave), this was the gameplan. ('look for the break', look for the break') And the gameplan sucked.

7. methklok

methklok New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like we have the best players in the world, so BB's fault or not (and I do wonder about some of his decisions), but when one of our main choices at forward is Ching, and when we can't string together a set of passes to control the ball when we really need to, you have then call a spade a spade: we lack skilled players. It's been an agonizing long haul for fans of the US men's team. We need to get better players eventually.

8. marco4

marco4 New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Troy, NY
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You ain't the only one.

9. So_Cal23

So_Cal23 New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey and Bradley were non existent for the majority of the game. Cherundolo didn't play well at all, Spector should have been in there. DeMerit also looked rattled and Bocanegra was a step slow. I really wish Ching and Bradley sat in favor of Feilhaber (who is in great form right now) and Altidore. It will be interesting with no Gooch in the next qualifier against El Salvador.

10. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The military on TV looked like Mexican fans :(

11. slickguy2011

slickguy2011 New Member

May 29, 2008
    I thought I would be annoyed if we lost, but I am surprisingly relaxed. We obviously have a good side because we are able to score and look threatening, but we need to learn how to manage the game. After we scored, we started to sit back. It was then that I realized that we were going to lose. In the 8th minute, we had 10 guys in our final third defending against high pressure. It worked against Spain, but we can't always be so lucky. If anything, I hope Bob learned that he needs to train the guys in how to react after we take the lead. If he does try to improve that part of the US game, then I have no problem with this loss. But in case anyone has any doubts of me being passionate....Fire Bradley! ;)

12. embeleshow

embeleshow Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Monterey Bay
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. herm2020

herm2020 Member

Nov 30, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Until you get a better midfield than can actually hold possession, it's always going to be long balls soccer from team USA. The team badly needs a Real central midfielder, a player who can keep the ball under pressure. Also stop giving the ball away cheaply. doesn't help.Overall Mexico deserved the win they kept the ball better. Possession is key, always has and always will be. The opposition can't hurt you if they can't get the ball. good luck. see you in South africa

14. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    BB's got to take some heat for leaving his very ineffective son in this match. Clark wasn't a whole lot better but taking out baby B was the right move.

15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Possession (or rather conceding nearly EVERY opportunity to hold it) was a huge factor. You can't chase the game for 70 minutes. Even when the clearances and passes were on (which was rare), the receiving touches were crap. I saw only a few solid bouts of combination play in the 2nd half. I guess it's good that those looked pretty encouraging, but they were way too rare.

16. aila76

aila76 Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Auburn, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, the US military were rooting for Mexico. Didn't you see them waving the Mexican flag? Of all the things about this game, I think that was probably the most ridiculous. As for the game itself, it was about what I expected, but unlike some others here I don't think the US was too bad. It was a heartbreaker to lose in the last 10 minutes like that though. The first 10 minutes or so was all US, the rest of that first half all Mexico. I thought the second half was fairly well balanced, expect for the goal or course. Some BS calls by the ref, but that's kind of par for the course. But overall, Mexico was better and deserved to win.

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Mostly THIS.

18. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Is it over? Did I miss something?

No.

I for one, was not looking forward to a Concacaf delegation of US, CR, and Honduras. Sounds like three strikes and your out of the first round.

Congrats to El Tri and Mexico. I trust the team they send to the WC next year will be a whole lot better than the one from qualifying.

As for the USMT. Deep breaths. El Salvador, CR and Honduras ahead should be 6 to 9 points. This is the usual mid qualifying swoon. All of this does not matter as much as who will be ready next year in SA. We still have problems up front, and in the back, and too many middies. But, it's a funny game. Wait and see.

19. Iwazrobbed

Iwazrobbed New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    The US losing at the Azteca? No way! What I find funny is that we played like crap, yet Mexico barley edged us out. If they think they're a world class team, Argentina will wake them up again.

BTW, I really don't like how we've choked as of late. First against Brazil, and now Mexico. That's not a good sign.

20. Appleanche

Appleanche Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The entire team doesn't seem to know how to play with a lead. They immediately sat back even when Mexico was on the ropes a bit after that lead (they were shocked) as to try to preserve a 1-0 lead.

It might have worked vs Spain but it didn't work vs Brazil or now Mexico, playing scared like this will once again lead us to an early exit in the world cup, I can guarantee that.

21. Wilkes

Wilkes New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Gooch made a poor out let pass imho, technically it was a good pass, tactically it was horrible! The midfielder had nowhere to go up the right side and tried to dribble three guys instead of changing the point of attack. After loosing the ball the defense looked like they had regrouped and had it covered but, not! Saw that goal coming a mile away, Mexico jumped on it and took advantage. After the giveaway our back line looked like crap, they were as dissappointed as the fans and were stunned at the goal. No reason for it, as good as the shot was Mexico didn't exactly deserve it.

22. Kermmy803

Kermmy803 Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Denton County, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know in the overall picture, this result has little meaning for the US in qualification, but just once, I would like to see the US be competitive in a game @ Azteca.

The US goes down there and plays scared for 90 mins each time during WCQ. They couldn't complete a pass out of the back to save their lives, looking only to just U8 boom ball out of the back, and bunkering til the cows come home.

Something has to be down to create a more even scenario when the US goes to play down there every 4 yrs or we will continually see the same performances from the US and gain absolutely no experience or advantage from this game.

The bang to hype ratio for Mexico-US @ Azteca is so far out-of-whack that it leaves the US fans completely despondent until the next money grab game played in one of the huge US monstrosities between US and El Tri.

For the good of the game, the experiences it will create for both teams and the fans on both sides, Mexico-US @ Azteca needs to happen at least 3-4 times each WC cycle.

23. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    The ref was horrific, all the undeserved yellow cards in the first half completely threw the U.S. players out of the game.

Mexico deserving the 3 points is different from Mexico deserved the 3 points but got there partly because of biased officiating.

24. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what pisses me off more: losing the game or actually thinking we could win.

Considering I never thought a win here was really in the cards (post-confed cup dreaming aside) the result was fairly predictable.

I thought we had a good first half, Donovan and the defense disappeared in the 2nd and the ref sucked.

25. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Nery Castillo. You are a b!itch of the first order.