Mexico City Invasion!

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by vflkirwan, Jul 25, 2006.

1. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    but my dakota fanning good looks frighten me...i dont have a strong denzel to protect me and keep me safe!

2. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    Awesome!

A few of us have already been talking with people up in NYC/NJ about Mexico City and making this trip/game a priority.

From NY, flights are looking to be around $500.

3. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are some hotels folks have stayed at before? I'm doing a search in Travelocity to fight boredom, and finding flights from about $485 out of Tampa right now. Combined with hotel stay for three nights I get from $586-1100, but those don't mean much without an idea of the areas involved. Mexico City is fairly huge iirc.

4. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    try searching in la zona rosa very good neighborhood and beautiful

5. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, then there's the gay Mexican dudes walking like RuPaul.

6. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    theres gays everywhere here and in mexico :rolleyes:

but its definitly one of the safest neighborhoods in DF

7. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several people stayed at the Galeria Plaza (which has a roof-top pool where there was a small supporters get together the day before).

The official tour and bus stayed somewhere nearby, perhaps the Hotel Marquis?

Although not in Zona Rosa, if you are looking for something a little bit cheaper, several of us stayed at the Hostel Cathedral downtown in the Zocalo. I think it was less than $20 a night, and they have two great bars, one downstairs in the lobby which opens up to the square and one on the rooftop which provides a pretty good panorama of downtown DF at night. The Hostel Cathedral is probably a 10-15 minute cab ride to the Zona Rosa. I don't remember how many subway stops, as it seems the subway was closed near Zona Rosa when we played there in March 2005.

8. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No disagreement with ZR being safe.

9. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It won't be, as Easter is in April in 2009.

If CONCACAF keeps this game on a weekend (as it has been in the past), there are only four candidates on the FIFA Calendar, one of which is unlikely as I doubt CONCACAF would put this game as late as October 09 with both teams having already qualified...

Weekend match dates:

March 28/29 (Matchday 2)
    June 6/7 (Matchday 4)
    September 5/6 (Matchday 7)

October 10/11 (Matchday 9)

10. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case anyone wants to look at the mid-week possibilities, here's a link to the FIFA international matchday calendar:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/calendarlive/intl_mc_2008_2014_en_34822.pdf

11. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    Matchday 2 makes the most sense and a similar time as to when it was last time around. June 6 would be smoking hot.

12. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    it was in september in 1997 i believe

13. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Our home game in '01 was a Wednesday night

14. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant US @ Mexico.

15. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    Just looked it up:

1997 - November 2 (Sunday)
    2001- July 1 (Sunday)
    2005 - March 27 (Sunday)

No pattern. Ugh... looks like it will be a Sunday, but what month appears to be a crap shoot.

16. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear that the air in Mexico City is lovely in August.

17. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    it was actually a bonus that the game was on easter weekend in 2005. the week preceding easter is semana santa which is a holiday week. The truck traffic was minimal within the D.F. and as a result, the air was very clean. The return of the traffic was dramatically noticeable by tuesday.

18. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FACT.

That weekend, you could see the blue skies and the hills surrounding the city. Monday, the day of my flight home, couldn't see the sky or the hills anymore. It was THAT thick.

Surprisingly, I had a great time, BEER WAS CHEAP, and for the most part people were either oblivious or friendly.

19. Danilo Luvano

Danilo Luvano New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    DFW, TX
    If anyone from Texas is going to Mexico City then, count Me in as well. I may be an Andorran-Mexican but damn it I bleed the RED, WHITE, and BLUE, PERIOD! :)

20. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    Welcome aboard the hajj to Mexico City!

21. Kevin Etzel

Kevin Etzel Member

Jul 18, 2000
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As bad as the air quality is at least the past qualifiers have avoid the worst of it.

Per website:
    "...The worst months of pollution are the dry months of December through February..."

http://www.popline.org/docs/0974/075348.html

22. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright my stimulus check just came in and it's going right to savings! It should cover most if not all of this trip!!!!
    I suggest others do the same. Or at least start saving now if you have not already.

23. Danilo Luvano

Danilo Luvano New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    DFW, TX
  24. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    as this is a football/soccer forum for football/soccer supporters and we are representing our country and supporting our team, why not keep the shirts to the sports oriented?

im looking forward to the mexico city trip more than any other match this cycle!

25. Danilo Luvano

Danilo Luvano New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    DFW, TX
    True. I guess I'll wear My USMNT Jersey to the Game then. The reason I brought that Shirt up is because I wanted to take a small jab at our Neighbors for the comments that they keep making about the U.S as a Country at the World Rivalries Forum.....