Mexico 98 Kit dissed by ESPN Soccernet.com

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by fdp, Jul 21, 2005.

1. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    10 of the worst...football kits

1998 - Mexico, Campos

[​IMG]

Mexican goalkeeper Jorge Campos was famous for four things: He was short, a good goalkeeper, fancied himself as an outfield player and, most famously, designed his own kits (an example of which we will see later). The strips he designed were so flamboyant that at World Cup France 1998 the opposition complained that he chose multi-colored outfits to blend into the crowd and he was forced to wear Mexico's regulation outfield strip. Fortunately the kit was still memorable enough for him to wear. Whether that is a compliment or an insult is up for debate. What isn't up for debate is that the Aztec design that adorned the front of the Mexican national shirt looked much better in the famous pyramids of Teotihuacán rather than the Parc de Princes. Still, that wasn't the diminutive keeper's worst effort.

:mad:

2. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  3. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Everybody loved that shirt even non-mexicans. It was one of the top sellers for that year so really what is that guy talking about with his little snide, ethnocentric comment

4. AZTLAN_MEX

AZTLAN_MEX New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    damn that was my fav tri jersey. especially in white! :mad:

5. smartbomb

smartbomb Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    My favorite will always be the lucky guindo kit :)

6. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    I LOVE THAT JERSEY..

ABA mde a great design

7. jbeall

jbeall New Member

Jan 18, 2002
    NJ by way of GA
    Fashion standards can change, I guess, but I always liked that kit--still do.

Besides, all these national teams are wearing these cookie-cutter Nike kits nowadays that have no personality whatsoever. These soft colors with a circle around the number kits are worn by Mexico, USA, Belgium, South Korea, Holland, Brazil, and several others that elude memory at the moment. At least that Mexico kit had personality.

8. Sir Cuauh

Sir Cuauh New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    H-town
  9. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Are u kidding me? that jersey kiked ass

10. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Best Mexico kit ever. And, as mentioned above, even people who don't follow Mexico dig that kit.

11. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Best kit! A classic that I have been hoping that will get picked up again. I know that they did it for the Olympic team.

12. kingwho

kingwho New Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Minneapolis
    what bozo's they are over at espn - pathetic

those shirts were fantastic
    always made me jealous that usa never had something nearly that cool
    we got the "denim look"
    now that was a bad shirt
    and it didn't even make the list

13. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    OMG :eek:
    chapulincolorado, you must tell me who that woman is and where I can get more pictures of her!

.... my God, my body still spazzing.... I must know who she is!

14. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Jejejeje....slight detour...

http://www.absolutelyamber.com/Main.html

You have been amberized.... :D

[​IMG]

15. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    The green one wasn't my favorite jersey ever but it had personality. You knew who you were playing against when you saw that jersey. This one is pretty cool though.

[​IMG]

I couldnt find a picture but there were some jerseys with the aztec face that Mexico wore that were hideous. They were red and green and nasty. Those I would have nominated for top 10.

The bad thing about todays' jerseys is that Mexico and the US and Brazil and Portugal and Holland and all other nike teams have the same crap, all cookie-cutter jerseys and that's boring.

16. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
  17. erdons

erdons Member

May 1, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dam that was my favorite shirt of all time, i will have to email the bastard who dissed it.

18. aguilas

aguilas New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Club América
    Yeah lets all email that dumb fvck

19. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Just did! :cool:

20. el mero mero

el mero mero New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Santa Úrsula
    ive grown accustomed to get get pretty pissed off at soccernet, its just a few brits that choose to filter soccer news that makes england look good to US readers, fvck soccernet, especially that guy who is in spain and is always talking sh it about la liga, id rather get my soccer news from crappy source like yahoo then from soccernet

21. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    the World Cup 98 Azteca jersey will go down in history as the BEST Mexico NT jersey ever!!! those jerseys were a thing of sheer beauty. the guy who wrote that article is nothing more than a dumb bastard. i have a replica of that jersey that i bought for $10 in TJ hanging on my wall :D i've been trying to find an official ABA one, but to this day i can't find one in my size :(

22. OG Junglist

OG Junglist Member+

Jul 21, 2005
    El Jebel, CO
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  23. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Not to stick up for this guy or anything but maybe he meant that in that particular picture the uniform did not look good. And really, blue shorts and orange gloves with a green jersey is a pretty disgusting combination. I mean, we all have favorite shirts but we don't just wear them with anything.

I don't know. Just a thought.

Continue with the soccernet bashing.

24. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    thanks for the link dude, but they only have large and x-large and i am looking for a small.

25. ChivasFan87

ChivasFan87 Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fresno, CA
    That guy must have been on crack. I freaken love that jersey, i was never lucky enough to receive one as my parents were always frugil when i was a child. Does anyone know where i could pick up one of those jerseys now a days?