Mexicans-Only Policy

Discussion in 'Chivas' started by Pinowski AP, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi guys,

I'm studying the connections between national identity and sport. I'm aware of Chivas's tradition of fielding only Mexican-born players and was wondering how fans perceive the model in place.

Thanks for your input. :)

2. Naquisima

Naquisima Member+

Sep 18, 2008
    Long Beach!
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I love it...and not only from a nationalist point of view.

Although we have a smaller pool of players to choose from, it's ok because it forces us to work with Fuerzas Basicas and in turn, providing future NT material.

Y como dicen...si Chivas anda bien, la selección también ;)

3. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Agreed with everything Naca said.

However, it can become frustrating at times because you have a very limited amount of transfer options. Most of the Mexico's quality players are in Europe and the ones that are in Mexico are staples on their teams. I wouldn't change it for anything, though.

4. Lil Puppet

Lil Puppet Member+

Feb 11, 2007
    A Basket
    Club:
    FC Illychivets Mariupol
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    I think it's racist and xenophobic.

There, you can run along now and tell your friends that a mexican sees it in the same light as you.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN_ula5loEg"]YouTube- guadalajara[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  5. Banner or Hulk?

Mar 11, 2006
    One could argue that its a big reason the club has been stagnent for most of the past 40 years. Theyve only claimed three domestic championships during that period which is pathetic for a team that claims to be the best in the Mexico. Or should i bring up the international trophies that Chivas hasn't won by fielding only Mexicans? Theyve had success being competitive in league and international play, but not good enough to claim trophies. I dont think they should go out and sign a bunch of guys from South America, but i would like to see them consider foreigners that have been naturalized as Mexicans. But i'll be in the minority of Chivas fan's that feel that way. Most would rather see the team field nothing but Mexicans. Once Toluca and/or America surpass Chivas in championships that will be the thing Chivas fans pride themselves on rather than being the best team in Mexico. You can already read it some years back when Pachuca was winning trophies left and right, people here would try to discredit them by bringing up the amount of foreigners they had playing. Its funny because Chivas wasn't a strictly Mexican team when it first was formed.

6. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the feedback, guys

7. Seby408

Seby408 New Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    nah man I agree with you, I think Chivas should consider other players because when it comes to transfer market it sucks, I would like to see a Japanese player play in a rayada haha. I think if Chivas were to sign extranjeros it would become a bigger club in the world.

8. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ugh...hell no. I don't care what kind of limitations we out on ourselves, it's part of who we are.

9. Nightmare310

Nightmare310 Member+

Dec 6, 2007
    The Streets
    Yeah you dont ******** with tradition

10. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He better be Japanese-Mexican.

11. Seby408

Seby408 New Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What about the foreign fans?

12. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    this thread is stupid. why change our tradition? it's part of who we are and what separates us from the rest.

13. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Foreign fans are welcome :cool: