News: Mexican teams QUIT copa libertadores 2009

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by EstebanLugo, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look at this another way, both S. American clubs should MAN it up and show up to play the away match in Mexico, if they want to overreact and wear facemasks wherever they go, than so be it. Play in a closed stadium if they have to. They are simply using the Swine flu as an excuse to get out of playing tough matches.

What happened to the concept of fair play in Argentina ?

2. el Rafaa

el Rafaa Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Somewhere in MA
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    [​IMG]

3. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    All of you have it wrong.

The issue here is CONMEBOL blatantly lying to the FMF. They had previously arranged a scenario where the Mexican's team pulled out of the tourney and would be allowed back in next year without affecting the spots Mexico already has/had. That was a deal it was agreed upon, however, Leoz had to change it at the last minute, then hell broke loose.

I'm all for taking the necessary precautions in regards to the "swine" flu, but I'm also down for honest and fair play; something the CONMEBOL clearly lacks.

4. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this whole Swine flu fiasco has been overblown. The data strongly suggests this flu is no worse and no more contagious than any of the other garden-variety flus. The fact that mexican futbol games are resuming with full crowds is a very good sign. If this "pandemic" were truly serious, there would not be any flights to/from Mexico.

I think it was just a matter of two (2) S.A. clubs trying to take advantage of the situation to make sure their teams advance in the tourney without risk of losing a 2-leg contest; methinks they would have done this with any Club team from any other country if given the chance. And CONMEBOL is letting them get away with it.

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I totally agree. Has anyone heard from the meningitis outbreak in Nigeria that has killed (READ WELL - K I L L E D) 2000 people? Now that's something to keep your eye on.

Nigeria meningitis death toll surpasses 2,000

Outbreak more serious than initially feared, nation’s health officials say

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30604930/

If it was two small teams, I would dismiss the assumption that Conmebol is just screwing the Mexican clubs to favore its own. If Boca was involved I would say that there's no doubt that Conmebol is favoring its own. Since the issue involves SPFC and former uruguayan great Nacional I am leaning towards this perception. Conmebol is as unfair and unbalanced as you can get.

6. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Yes, but the details of that agreement seem very vague for an official decision. For example, where exactly were those spots going to come from, was the cup going to be expanded again to accommodate them? Were they going to be for the Qualifying Round or Group Stage? It sounds to me like the agreement was just another option CONMEBOL was considering that got shot down by the federations that stood to lose spots. "Todos cuidan su chacrita". :(

7. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Eh... CONMEBOL may need Mexico for their pockets not CONMEBOL as a whole(incluiding clubs and national federations), let's get real.

I don't know about that, but by what it's said in here by people that is living in United States, probably they'd spend a while talking about how they ripped mexican sides off the CONMEBOL tournaments and such, though for other issues argentine commentators are no better.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, yeah. Sad but true. That is why Grondona is pissed. It's money out of his pockets.

9. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And thinking of it again a little bit, it could be another explanation regarding São Paulo and Nacional's decision, hmm...

10. VAMOS MEXICO

VAMOS MEXICO New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I just cancelled my dish latino sub, (FSE) etc.:(

It was my excuse to watch mexican teams playing in Comebol tournaments.

11. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    so what exactly happened?

both sides acted like lil' bitches.

[​IMG]

12. nopalnation

nopalnation Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The doctor called it on the horse a while ago..

[​IMG]

13. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    i still dont understand why neither the conmebol nor nacional and sao paulo accepted to play at home first to give an extra week for the problem in mexico to be completely ok. They couldve also play one game at a neutral ground. I dont think this is the end of this novela, grondona wouldnt be the nly one losic on the economic side, mfl teams are the main reason santander it's on board.

we'll see how that goes

14. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    I guarantee that Conmebol is gonna renegotiate to give 3 spots to Mexico & USA.

Sounds crazy?
    Why do you think that European teams playing "Summer tours" in the US?
    Because they wanna go shopping?

15. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    come again?:confused:

the europhiles have been coming over for years now......fo' money.

16. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We've been hearing such things for over a year now, first that they were going to demand equal treatment and what now, then that they'd force modificitations in the cups. There were meetings and all but nothing changed at all.

If they want they can do the same in the off-season, in fact teams already do that. Also to expand their "brand" not for the income of a single tour, it's more of a long-term thing.

17. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Where exactly did you read that? Google is flooded with data that says you are a f-ing lier.

And Yes, the lack of mexican clubs in the tournament will result in significant lower ratings, which means sponsors will drop out, and tv stations will be forced to renegotiate the contracts with conmebol or drop them all together. Lets see if conmebol would continue paying $100,000 per home game to the southy teams.

18. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Too much talk about money, yet there has never been any actual number thrown out about anything. It's clear however that whatever money it is, CONMEBOL is keeping it all, so in the end for the clubs it may make no difference.

19. nopalnation

nopalnation Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Numbers are not needed..

all you need to know is Mexican teams = dollars.. is that simple..

Cuz FoxSports doesn't care about Mexicans living in Mexico.. all they care about are the ones living in the US.. which outnumber all other hispanic/latinamerican groups.. by a lot:rolleyes:

20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It's official. CONMEBOL has stated that SPFC and Nacional of Uruguay are in the quarterfinals.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hey, at least it's not as but as the Chelsea vs Barcelona threads.

22. IMperfect

IMperfect Member

May 6, 2009
    chicaligonia
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    So many god damn conjectures! I live in California and I assure you, there is no epidemic here. We are not disease-filled mongrels who are just waiting to infect you. I've been snooping around this forum without an account for a while now, but seriously, ignorant comments such as these are a good reason to make one. Yes, you may argue that there have been cases, but as far as I know, here in Los Angeles we aren't the least bit concerned about H1N1.

23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agreed. I can say that it's pretty much non-existant here, atleast in Los Angeles. I have yet to meet (or even see) a person that is infected with Swine Flu.

24. minus

minus Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Portugal
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm not comparing to Mexican population (DUH!). South Americans populations has grown significantly since early 90's.

25. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You said there was a larger South American population, and you were comparing it to the Mexican population. Anyway, lets see how much Conmebol start missing us when their sponsors go away, and broadcasters have to pay half or less of what they were paying because of lack of sponsors. I'm pretty sure it will affect the prizes paid out to south american clubs and which are not paid equally to Mexican clubs.