Mexican Smack, Courtesy GK Oswaldo Sanchez

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by flux82, Jul 13, 2005.

1. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    And the beat goes on . . .

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/050713/1/44gc.html

Commenting on Mexico's upcoming games against Costa Rica and the U.S.:

"These two sides deserve all our respect, but I believe we can beat them without a problem."

Very confident, considering Mexico's recent results against the Nats outside of Azteca. Plus, the smack as started quite early this time around. Hope we can prove him wrong, in a big way.

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    whats he supposed to say?

3. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Well, we'll only find out if they make it to the next round.

4. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    Maybe that it will be a challenging game where we need to prove ourselves anew, considering that we have tanked lately against the U.S. when we leave our on comfy confines? A little humility goes a long way, rather than just patting yourself on the back for proving nothing.

5. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, it's no big deal, but "beat them without a problem"? Most people don't even say that about opponents they actually expect to beat without a problem.

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    we were just as, if not more so, cocky as Mr. Sanchez walking into the Azteca.

7. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    "Bueno, es que la ultima vez que venimos a los Estados, los yanquis nos partieron la madre. Quizas seria mejor que no dijera nada."

That's just one idea.

8. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    I think we were more confident than cocky (though we didn't play like it); we certainly acknowledged that it was going to be a difficult game, no matter what the result. However, Sanchez talks as if these things are foregone conclusions; this is coming from the same team that tied at Panama and was less than convincing against T and T, in Azteca. I know they were good in the Confed Cup (not great, as they think they were), but WCQ is a totally different beast. A key, though, is that we beat them if we meet in the Gold Cup; if they are able to defeat us head to head in the Gold Cup, that would actually give them a basis to saying that they will beat us on our own soil with "no problem."

9. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I would say back:

"Your attention please, Aeromexico flight 163 with one-way service from Seoul to Mexico City, now boarding, gate 17."

Never foget who put you on the plane.

10. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have to lose by at least 6 goals to not advance. However if they lose by less than six today, which is a possibility based on Jamacia's play in theis cup...we get a nice USA- MExcio quarter fianl game in Foxboro

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Campania
    He's just trying to compensate for feelings of insecurity caused by his hideous unibrow.

12. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    He better not piss on any Crew Stadium bushes!

13. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Funny thing is I doubt they got a non-stop flight back (unless it was charter)...probably had to change in SFO or LAX :D

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could have left out the "without a problem."

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bullsh**.

16. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    is sanchez even on their roster???

17. blue_wizard10

blue_wizard10 New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Neverland
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. depor15

depor15 Member

Jun 28, 1999
    Some one is a bit cocky no. I really would like to read the quote in Spanish to see if he really said this the way it was interpreted.

19. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    The quotes by Oswaldo Sanchez are regarding the upcoming WC Qualifiers and not the Gold Cup Games.

20. Alex_1

Alex_1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Exactly. I wish I had some of the articles from the match before playing Mexico. There were quite a few 'confident' comments from the USA too. Selective memories.

He's confident and deserves to be. They outplayed the USA in Mexico City and they sit tops in the qualifiers right now. On top of that, the Mexican's have played pretty well against some of the very best team's in the world over the summer, beating Brasil and drawing Argentina before losing out on penalties, and eventually losing to Germany. Someone else mentioned it, but I would have liked to have seen the rest of the quote. He did say that the USA and Costa Rica were teams that they respect. There might have been something that pre-ceeded the without a problem' bit that seems to have a few fans with their panties in a bunch. Maybe he said... "As long as we do x, y and z, I believe we can beat them or get a result without a problem." Funny thing about the media - sometimes they don't tell you the whole story. :eek:

But even if he did say that, who cares? I remember before the 2002 World Cup, USA fans thought it was great that Clint Mathis said that the goal was to win the world cup, and when other fans would balk at that just like USA fans are now to Sanchez's comment, they would say exactly what ApooOnu just said... "what's he supposed to say? That we'll lose?" :rolleyes: :D So whatever makes Sanchez feel better, that's fine. He should have the mentallity that the USA shoudn't be a problem and train and do the things they believe they have to do to win. Good for them. That doesn't mean that it will happen. For heaven's sake, it's a rivalry. I'm more surprised he said they respect them.

21. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    "These two sides deserve all our respect,"

"I believe we can beat them without a problem"

you cant respect someone you think you can beat "no problem"
    it doesn't make sense

22. Alex_1

Alex_1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Sure you can. The USA may 'respect' El Salvador. But they're good enough to beat them 'no problem'.

Hell, boxers say this type of stuff all the time.

23. imegu2x

imegu2x New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    NC
    I second that. :D

24. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    The gap between the U.S. and El Savador and, if there is one anymore, the gap between Mexico and the U.S. should not be compared.

25. Alex_1

Alex_1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    :rolleyes: Yes, there is.

Okay then I'll use an easier one. Brasil looked at Mexico this summer with the thought that they respect Mexico. But they're good enough to beat them 'no problems'. That didn't happen.

That better?

Don't get your panties all bunched up over it. Players should be confident and should be defiant in their chances regardless of the history. History is just that... history. Or... like your Clint Mathis said some time ago... what'd be the point of competing if we didn't believe we could win? I wonder if you thought Mathis had a 'lack of humility' then... Sanchez is Mexican, there is a rivalry, but he expects his team to win and he does not want to give his opposition any advantage. Sure, he respects the USA. But he expects to beat them, no problems. Good for him. That doesn't mean it actually will happen this way. Are there potential problems? Obviously there are. But he's confident they'll overcome them if they play their game-plan. Didn't think this had to be explained.

And then... this is under the assumption that it's actually what he said. Like I said, the press has a funny way of chopping up quotes to give them different meanings. He may have used a different context, whatever.