Mexican clubs' sportsmanship (Superliga)

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MLS Detroit, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the tapes of both games after returning from vacation and both Pachuca and Atlante were disgraceful in their post-game behavior. Ignorance and lack of education are no longer an excuse, officials and players need to act like professionals and tournament organizers need to heft suspensions and fines on the guilty parties. Returning players/clubs to the tournament should not be able to play until fines are paid and suspensions are lifted. I am apalled. This is one reason why I never watch Latin American futbol. Too many drama-queen, crybaby, cheap-shotters spoil the wonderful talent on display.

2. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carrying over Atlante's red cards into the next SuperLiga that those players appear in sounds like a distinct option. Watching grown men act like spoiled children for the last 20 minutes of the game is not my idea of entertaining football...

3. Ted Lyons

Ted Lyons Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this applies to all Latin American leagues. Personally, I've never witnessed that type of behavior when watching Argentine league matches. I would even argue that Mexican teams don't act this way when they play domestically. Most Mexican league matches I've watched are pretty straightforward.

4. HTownSoccerGuy

Mar 29, 2005
    Houston, TX
    If that bothers you then dont watch Italian football :eek:

5. El Ikkir

El Ikkir Member

Apr 24, 2005
    This tournament is worthless, the players know the red cards will do nothing against them, they'll go play on the weekend in the mexican league without a problem. Atlante is also probably never coming back, so what are the suspensions going to do?

Alot of MLS players didn't show much "sportsmanship" either, just see the end of the Dynamo-Pachuca game. So I don't know what you're on about latin players.

6. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    The tournament didn't seem "worthless" at the end of either of those matches. I think both Atlante and Pachuca wanted the $1million.

MFL needs to get involved. I have to believe the Mexican League and MLS made some kind of contract on what to do in cases of severe misconduct.

The Atlante players should face suspensions, and major fines! If not, arrest them all on assault and battery. They are here, put em in jail.

Also, btw, Pachuca showed plenty more class last year, but apparently losing was too much to handle.

7. dcgoonies

dcgoonies New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Maryland
    Wonder if they grew up watching Blanco?
    Or are sportsmen not role models??

8. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    You see this all over Mexico and Central America in important games. The players don't think they've given their best unless there's a couple of red cards handed out. It's just the way they play and I don't think it's going to stop. To the US players, it's just another soccer game. To the Mexican players, the game is a chance to avenge hundreds of years of oppression. It's a disgrace to them when they lose.

Actually, in international games, this is a huge advantage for the US. The Mexican players are so wound up that they make stupid mistakes. They stop playing their skillful passing game and get into bump and foul tactics. They start paying more attention to the referee than the game. I really don't see a problem with Mexican teams taking themselves out of games. It's their loss.

9. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your gonna talk sportsmanship, then Houston derserves some blame as well, it was their bench that ignited that incident on Tuesday. If your gonna call out the mexican teams then you have to give the same treatment to an MLS team that from all reports started that incident after the whistle.

10. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they had a CLEAR goal called back and were at the wrong end of some really bad calls in that game, can you blame them for being wound up after all that? Also, Houston started the post game crap...so maybe they need some lessons on class as well.

11. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Our record is not entirely spotless. Was it DCU that trashed their Blackbaud locker room after losing an Open Cup match a number of years ago? Anyway, the recent post-match dustup was minor league, compared to the recent women's b-ball fracas in Detroit.

Houston could be partly to blame for what happened at Robertson the other night, but I didn't see the Revs do anything to initiate the post-game fight after they won last night.

12. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Really...so I guess you've never seen an Argentine derby?

Also, theres no inferiority complex with Americans in soccer...if anything it's a superiority complex.

13. MLS Wandering Fan

Jun 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did Houston do at the end of the game to incite the riot? I did not notice anything from the TV telecast.

Regarding discipline, I have heard of a few cases where fines and suspensions carried over from a cup competition to domestic play because the magnitude of misbehavior was so high. If Pachuca and Atlante knew that they would lose money AND have to sit out the next three league games back in Mexico for violent behavior, these incidents might not have happened. By the same token, an MLS player needs to know that if he goes ballistic in the U.S. Open Cup to such a degree that fines and suspensions could follow in league play. Many years ago, a fool named Hristo Stoichkov broke a college kids' leg in a fit of anger during a preseason game but nothing happened to him regarding league play. He should have had a 10-game suspension.

14. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    I agree with you somewhat. Remeber the Interliga for the Copa Libertadores is going to happend in US....its better the players get suspensions for Interliga, which really going to hurt them and there club for their lack of class.

Remember, Dallas had weird games against Chivas and Pachuca, yet, Dallas didn't react like animals ( maybe just Moor ).

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really is just pride. Mexico is a true footballing nation and sports culture. Their players are serious in their mindset. Same with Argie or Colombian footballers. Any fights or really hand bags thrown during SuperLiga is cuz someone's pride was dented.
    In our case as U.S. footy fans, when we find success we are the world's asshole the twice over! This pisses off rival footballing cultures to no end We now have decent enough men that know how to kick a round ball. This kicking of said round ball has shown to incite men to great emotions and again regardless of Mexican, Latino, Arabic, Turk, Scot what have ya...it's pride.

This is all serious business and what is being shown on both sides of the coin is just another sign that MLS is truely in its teenage years.

DALE DYNAMO!

16. oddlou

oddlou Member

May 12, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    It's funny you say this from Argentina. I don't think Federico Vilar, an Argentine and the biggest problem in the post-game fracas, cares too much about "Gringos." He's just a huge asshole.

17. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I'll accept that (at least partly). But Atlante's actions were way over the top. I personally hope that club is banned from the SL.

18. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    What did they do?? It was just mostly pushing and shoving.

19. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    otoh, i'm also a little skeptical of the self-appointed righteousness after this week's dust-ups on the part of u.s./mls fans. it seems to me a lot of people are enjoying the posturing. it's kinda hard to pass up the chance to act appalled at somebody else.
    the english are the only clean, honest, decent people on earth and rightfully spend their time watching out not to get screwed by everybody else... :rolleyes::eek:

20. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Are there any links to the highlights, or lowlights as they apparently were? For some reason MLSnet vids aren't working for me.

21. STpassion

STpassion Red Card

Apr 7, 2008
    South of Turnpike
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to Youtube and type in "unruly Mexican soccer players who hate to lose to the Americans"

22. Nochum

Nochum Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Riverside, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you serious? I guess you never saw the coach for Boca Juniors spit at Boffo in the semis of the Libertadores when Boffo taunted Boca with 4 fingers in the air. Chivas and Boca were playing in the Copa Libertadores semis a couple of years ago. The match had to be stopped because fans started to get on the pitch.

I've seen numerous times when coaches and players would attack referees and apposing players after games when they lose. Thomas Boy comes to mind. It happens all time in Mexican league games and South American games. Especially when there"s the Ligilla.

23. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In which the coaching staff got involved as combatants. How is that not over the top?

24. Edloverr

Edloverr New Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Souther Cal
    As a Mexican-American, I have to say I'm both DISGUSTED and EMBARRASSED with the conduct of the Mexican teams this week. All I can say is what a bunch of SORE LOSERS, and they're making the rest of Mexicans look bad. They need to stop feeling sorry for themselves. Yes, that goal that was called back on Pachuca was very close, but that DOES NOT condone their actions. It filters back to the fan level as well. A few years ago, then Mexico knocked the US out of the olympics, Mexican fans chanting "Osama - Osama," and the fans did it again when the Full National teams clashed. I'm lucky in that I have to National sides to support. It's going to be a while before I put the green on again. Right now it's all about the USA!

25. jschuck12001

jschuck12001 Member

United States
    Jun 24, 2007
    Tampa
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesnt really bother me that they fought at the end, it shows that the game was intense and the mexican teams really wanted to win. I think I would be more offended if they shook hands and smiled and just left the field. This stuff happens in all US sports. The thing I didnt like was some of the staff got involved and thats stupid, let the players take care of business, no reason for some fat guy who works for the Atlante staff to be in the mix pushing people. And that goes both ways but I didnt notice any NE staff getting that aggressive. I think it sucks that we have these issues with the MExicans because I think it keeps the young Mexican -americans from playing for the U.S. in the U.S. because they will be looked at as outcasts or sellouts, they hate us and we hate them.