Metta World Peace: The NBA Offseason & Lockout Thread.

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by dark knight, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Over/under as to when we'll get our first regular season game?

I say no earlier than January 15th...

3. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Metta World Peace. What a fantastic name. :D

4. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Sactown, it's Jimmer Time.* :D
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SjhARs5m-U"]Lots of potential or lots of hype?[/ame]

*Pending the lockout, of course...:p

5. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My thoughts on yesterday are quite mixed. There really wasn't any logical reason to dump Beno and the 7 pick for Salmons and the 10 pick. He's been our most steady player these past 2 years and while he was his short-comings on D, he's a capable floor general and plays well off of Evans. That being said, if the trade didn't go down there would be a glut of PG's with Thomas and Jimmer (if they play him there) being added to the fold and Jeter still on the books (for now). I'm not trilled at all about Salmons but he was fairly productive when he was here. If he isn't still suffering from tunnel-vision it could work out.

As for the draft itself we got good value at all 3 picks. I can't complain at all. At each pick we got the player we originally targeted. It should be fun to see Jimmer and Thomas light up the scoreboard off the bench whenever basketball starts up again.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Can someone explain to me how the Sacramento backcourt is supposed to work? Are they going to play with two balls? :D

Has a combo-guard pairing ever worked well? :confused:

7. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Colin Cowherd was ripping the Kings franchise as a complete joke - didn't someone say Jimmer was going to help keep the franchise in town or fill the arena or something?

8. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    Cowherd has prettly relentlessy bashed Fredette as a certain bust so it's not suprising he's bashing the team that selected him. Cowherd is kind of a spaz, IMO.

Spurs had an interesting draft for once. Pop came out and said after the Memphis loss that the Spurs were going to move aggressively to get back to being a defense first squad. And then they went out and traded their best perimeter defender.

Apparently Kawhi is a good defender as well but this move doesn't make a ton of sense to me right now. They must really see something in him.

9. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thornton and Evans will start. Thomas and Jimmer will come off the bench. We don't have a choice other than to pair up 2 combo-guards down the road with Jimmer and Evans. Will it work...probably not. We are still a lottery team.
    I don't see us making a move for Parker or Jameer Nelson. Now that Miller and Felton are off the board it looks like we will stay put.

We are a joke. The Maloofs have tied Petrie's hands and essentially called the shots. They've left him with little fiscal leeway and we've been bleeding money for years (though we have boo-coo cap space). We have made few sensible moves outside of the past 3 drafts aside from getting Thornton. If everyone wants to join in and bash us go right ahead. I have no comebacks anymore.

10. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty weak draft imo. That's two years in a row now that a score-first PG gets taken first and that's not a very good sign.

Having said that I have a good feeling about Derrick Williams, even if he's in Minny who already have Love and Beasley. Williams had a pretty good tourney and can make 3's.

11. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yeah - was hoping they might trade Parker to get the guy from Europe that went 3rd.

12. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not incredibly excited about the Rockets draft, though I don't what you could expect from this years last lottery pick.

They got Marcus Morris, who doesn't know whether he's a 3 or a 4. If he turns out being a 3 then he starts ahead of Budinger. If he's, most likely the case, a four than he sits behind Scola. I have no idea what this means for Patrick Patterson and Jordan Hill. And Chandler Parsons? Enjoy the D-league big fella.

Motiejunas, is the desperation let's get a big guy for God's sake pick. Rockets hoping that Motiejunas won't suck or Thabeet won't keep sucking, and/or Yao Ming has a miraculous recovery. 1000/1 any takers? Chuck Hayes is not the future at the Rockets 5, that's for sure.

Ugh, looks like another 42-40 season give or take. We need to make moves, and then there's the lockout.....F@&#

I just love staying in the middle of the pack.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That Jan Vesely guy looks like he'll either be a success or a total bust, not much chance for any middle ground with him...

14. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll be fun to watch. John Wall, running things with McGee and Vesely in tow. Should be cool. I have no idea where their scoring is going to come from though. They're probably setting themselves up for next years draft, which has a lot of talent. Same with the Bobcats.

15. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_LUnTQHV4c"]YouTube - ‪Lebron James Mashup - "Rome Wasn't Built In One Day" (The Decision Remix) by dj steve porter‬‏[/ame]

17. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sasha Vujacic going to Turkey. Howard is considering China. Williams wants to go overseas (forgot which country). I am sure there will be more.

18. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Deron Williams is headed to turkey and will play for Besitkas(sp)

19. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Would you or anyone know what the big competitive leagues in Europe?

In soccer, we would consider Premiership, La Liga, Serie A, and Bundesliga as the so called big leagues. What comparable leagues are there in Europe in terms of basketball?

20. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Honestly couldn't tell you. I don't follow European basketball but from what I've read it sounds like countries like Spain, Italy, Turkey and Greece have decent basketball leagues.

21. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    [ame="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh25t3354kb1pT47xd"]http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh25t3354kb1pT47xd[/ame]

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Wow that's weird.

23. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    :confused:

John Wall isnt a score first PG.

The scoring will come from Nick Young [17 ppg] and Jordan Crawford [16.3 ppg], as well as Blatche [17 ppg]. I think that these numbers will only get better. Nick Young had a coming out party last season after Arenas was traded. In 3 games vs. the Heat [one of the better defensive teams in the league] he averaged 27 points. 19 against the bucks 3rd in pts allowed. 27 in 2 games vs. Hornets.

Im not sure if the Wizards will make the playoffs next year, but one thing I dont think I will be worried about is where the scoring will come from. Its defense.

This is my introduction into the basketball, lockout thread...

1 person likes this.
  24. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the NBA thread. :cool:

He seemed like that to me from what I remembered in nationally televised UK games, plus I drafted him in a late round for my fantasy team and saw his shooting line every night.:D He ended up 6th amongst all PGs in PPG and FGA while only shooting 40.9% from the field (with a woeful 29.6% from 3). He did have a lot of assists though, in fact his APG went up from his Kentucky days (from 6.5 to 8.3).

I'll defer to you though as the Wiz fan though since you saw him actually play more than I admittedly have. I do remember him having some triple doubles in there and I'm excited to see how he fares in his second season. And yes, Nick Young was definitely the waiver wire pickup of the season.

Feinding for some NBA action?!? Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, Derek Fisher, Derrick Williams, Tyreke Evans, and Javelle McGee! They're all playing a pair of exhibition games in the Philippines this weekend.

Other exhibition games in China may follow.

25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I kinda thought he was a scoring point too - he's not?