METS: My Entire Team Smokes?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Ian Lozada, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    Pot as a scapegoat. What's next? Valentine's on Ludes?

3. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who mentioned anything about pot as being a scapegoat? Scapegoat for what? And I swear these idiots at Newsday have nothing better to write about. Surprised it didn't come out of the Post.

4. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note to the Mets: You want steroids, not pot.

5. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    This story is so dumb. They could have written this crap about any team in American professional sports and it'd have some truth.

6. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Ahhh.... but do you have the picture to go along with it?
    [​IMG]

You couldn't do it about any pro sports team because the NFL and I believe the NHL do drug tests which cover pot, the NBA is a forgone conclusion that the entire league does it, but with baseball it's quite a bit different. True, there aren't any drug tests, but how many managers are legitimately concerned about it, so much that they goto the GM about it. How many organizations have this problem rampant through the minor league system as to have this said about them....

"One of the friends said that Mets minor leaguers have been known to bury marijuana and drug paraphernalia near hotels on the road in order to access it on the next trip to town."

How pathetic is that? I wonder how many baggies of pot they've lost cause they buried it when they were stoned and can't remember where it was?

"Dude... I thought we put it over here by this bush?"

"No way man, it was by this tree. S**t man... screw it, it's gone. Next time we should wait till we're sober before we bury it."

"Haha, ok, rock on dude."

:rolleyes:

When you have players smoking up in the parking lot "regulary" on game days, you got a problem. I dunno how Doc Ellis pitched a no-hitter on acid in 1970, but I can't imagine it's too easy to play a MLB game when you're ripped.

7. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    How seriously can you take this story with a line like this??

"None of the Mets contacted made any connection between the team's miserable 2002 season and drug use. However, medical experts say marijuana use can impair coordination."

Please.

However, it's worth it for that picture alone.

8. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, finding a coorelation between the two is kind of a stretch. Hell... the '86 Mets weren't too busy screwing teamates wives in the clubhouses during games, blowing lines of coke constantly, cutting girlfriends cat's heads off, beating each other up, and holding each other hostage in paranoia of the police, to win a world series.

This team looks like freaking pussies compared to that team. I'm sure Kevin Mitchell and Daryl Strawberry take pride in being the worst-best team in baseball the same way the '72 Dolphins take pride in being the only undefeated team ever.

9. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    OK, this bat is heavy man. Now don't throw that curve ball at me. In fact, you better just toss it under-hand so I can lay down for a minute. Whoa, you're pinstripes are messing me up. They just POP!

10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Mike Piazza claims he doesn't smoke up but signing on to do those 10-10-220 commercial does raise doubts.

11. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But one was with ALF. I mean, would you turn the chance to work with ALF?

12. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's a different story. But that doesn't explain the working with Terry Bradshaw.

13. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think if you work with Bradshaw you can smoke dope, IF the taping takes place in a state with medicinal marijuana laws.

15. isaac101

isaac101 New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Bethesda, MD
    Ahhh.... I love how in the picture he is toking up while wearing a Syracuse cap. Great advertising for my alma mater. I think I'll send that picture in to the alumni website and ask that it be used for all of the school's promotional materials.

As for the story, pretty bad stuff if there is a hint of truth to it. I've always suspected that drug use has been high among professional sports, but baseball's lax testing rules just seem to invite abuse.

And there is not enough mind-altering substances in the world which would convince me that working with Terry Bradshaw would be a good idea.

16. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, if Derrick Coleman hasn't single-handedly made our degrees worthless, no athlete will.

17. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very excited that they had a press conference just to clear up the issues on the marijuana issues for the Mets. It's bad enough that the Mets post-season dreams ended months ago, but to have our little sideshow circus go on is just amazing. God this would make one interesting reality tv show. The Real World: Shea Stadium.

18. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait til we play you guys in November. Some payback is in order.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Admissions counselors should have this line printed up and hung In every office in the department.

20. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait till he's dead. He may still pull something out of his lazy butt that will bite us yet.

21. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on, if you were playing as badly as the Mets were this year, wouldn't you want to partake in some herbal refreshment?

22. increase mather

Aug 26, 2000
    New Yawk City
    The (possibly old and tired) joke going around is that the Mets are planning on signing Jung Bong so that he can be on the same team as Leiter.

By the way, this story was about on par in terms of newsworthiness with an expose on the woodland defecation habits of bears. Doesn't anyone remember the baseball dudes in high school? I think there was a rule that you couldn't be on the team if you passed a drug test.