MetroStars Vs Los Angeles [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Partizan_fc, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Partizan_fc

Partizan_fc New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    New York City
    Scoring Summary:

MET -- Mike Magee 4 (Mark Lisi 4) 65

Los Angeles Galaxy -- Kevin Hartman, Tyrone Marshall, Alexi Lalas, Ricky Lewis, Ezra Hendrickson, Mauricio Cienfuegos (Guillermo Gonzalez 70), Jesus Ochoa (Jose Retiz 61), Sasha Victorine, Cobi Jones, Alex Pineda Chacon, Chris Albright (Gavin Glinton 71).

Substitutes Not Used: Alejandro Moreno, Dan Popik.

TOTAL SHOTS: 8 (Chris Albright 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Alex Pineda Chacon 2); FOULS: 15 (Sasha Victorine 4); OFFSIDES: 2 (Cobi Jones 1, Alexi Lalas 1); CORNER KICKS: 8 (Cobi Jones 7); SAVES: 11 (Kevin Hartman 10)

MetroStars -- Paul Grafer, Craig Ziadie, Juan Forchetti, Steve Jolley, Joey DiGiamarino (Tim Regan 20), Ricardo Clark, Amado Guevara, Richie Williams, Mark Lisi (Jacob LeBlanc 85), Mike Magee, John Wolyniec (Jaime Moreno 78).

Substitutes Not Used: Joseph Addo, Kenny Arena, Clint Baumstark, Eddie Gaven, Chris Leitch, Mike Nugent.

TOTAL SHOTS: 20 (Amado Guevara 7); SHOTS ON GOAL: 12 (Amado Guevara 5); FOULS: 19 (John Wolyniec 4); OFFSIDES: 2 (Mark Lisi 1, Mike Magee 1); CORNER KICKS: 4 (Amado Guevara 4); SAVES: 5 (Paul Grafer 4)

Misconduct Summary:
    MET -- Richie Williams (caution; Pushing, Holding) 38
    MET -- John Wolyniec (caution; Tackle from Behind) 43
    LA -- Jose Retiz (caution; Tackle from Behind) 63

Referee: Noel Kenny
    Referee's Assistants: -Nathan Clement; Jorge De la Bandera
    4th Official: Ken Heller
    Attendance: 22,274
    Time of Game: 1:52
    Weather: Rain-and-61-degrees

2. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    LA looked dangerous when Guillermo Gonzalez and Gavin Glinton came on.... Thnx god Chris Albright is not in our team.

Nice Finish by Magee
    Poor Finish (again) by Clark

MOTM: Mark Lisi

3. elephantstone

elephantstone Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Grafer -- muffed one cross that could have been dangerous, otherwise played very well. Not quite T-Ho, but decent.

Jolley & Forchetti -- very good in the back. Much better than that disaster last week. Wonder how it would have been against Ruiz, though.

Regan -- still decent defense, but nothing offensively

Ziadie -- good defense, got forward some, but nothing spectacular.

Clark -- solid game, but I'm starting to notice a tendency to drift in and out of the second half.

Williams -- very good, contributed offensively.

Lisi -- his best game all year. Excellent passing.

Guevara -- average game for him. Still needs work on finishing.

Magee -- keeps improving. Unlucky not to get the first goal off a header. Was left wide open on the goal, and did a good job of calmly making Hartman commit and burying the shot.

Wolyniec -- some decent runs in the first half, absolutely disappeared in the second half. I would have preferred to see Gaven out there.

Moreno -- let's hope he's just rusty.

4. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magee was tremendous. All overthe field he had the ball or tracked it down. Came up big in the box defensively as well. Nice passes between him , Lisi and Geuvara. Best possesion passing I have ever seen a Metro team have. Lisi and Geuvara are clicking nicely.

Magee has stepped it up and will be a star for this team. I can't wait until Clint comes back as this kid and Clint are going to be great together. He will score 8-10 goals as Bradley predicted on draft day.

Let's just hope Jaime stays glued to the bench or gets injured as he looked like crap again when he came on. No difference than he looked from their first game of the year so I don;'t buy the injury or "rusty" excuse. Too old, too slow and no heart for Jaime from what I have seen.

5. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Was all that desperate defending in the last ten minutes necessary? Metros had more turnovers than a bakery in the final stretch.

Otherwise, Magee had a great game. Grafer was wonderful (from what I could see of the game). Didn't know Moreno was matchfit, just glad to see him out there.

6. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    The Metros were fun to watch. They play a nice game. They move the ball well with a lot of one touch passes.

Nice goal by Magee. He passed well and came back on defense. He seems to go to the ground too easy with contact.

Did you see Clark and Forchetti tackling Lalas in the box. That was incredible. How did the ref miss everything?

Moreno. That was rust. He looked like he has not practised at all. I dont want to see him. I thought Gavin would have been a better sub.LeBlanc could have played up top or they could have gone with one forward.

The announcers talked about the Metros looking forward to having Mathis and Moreno up top. I do not. I want to see Magee. He is getting better every game. I dont mind seeing Gavin there either. How long does he have before he goes back to the U-17 team?

Love the way Bradley plays the young Americans.

7. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The linesman is supposed to help with calls like that. What was he doing all that time?

8. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    There's nothing I like more than to see Lalas get beat up on. Good thing Forchetti started.

I was suprised to see Woly getting some good shots in the first half.

You can tell that the defense was told to protect Grafer. When they did fail, Grafer stepped up nicely.

9. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't say Moreno's play was rust as he looked like this his first two games and he was s***t last yr for the Scum as well. I believe he's about 4 to 5 yrs older than listed and basically finished at this point. No energy, no finishing skills or touches. Very slow compared to others up front, except maybe Woly.

I think we got Balboa'd in this trade with Jaime.

10. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Directv system did not let me watch 15 of the last 20 min. due to the rain, but the little i watched at the end of the match it looked as if we had no one to hold the ball at midfield, so that maybe we could stop LA from attacking so often....Yep, we looked desperate, but at least (luckily) we got all 3 points

11. Beerman

Beerman Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Denville NJ
    Attendance: 22,274
    Sure and i'm hung like Ron Jeremy.

12. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loved the penalty kick we got after Lalas was flagrantly thrown down twice... oh wait.

Still a fun game to watch, though.

tm

13. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it hard to believe people are running down Moreno for a 20 minute comeback performance in the middle of a downpour, while the team is sending all hands to the defense to hold on to the lead.

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Re: MetroStars Vs Los Angeles [R]

Originally posted by strider026

Did you see Clark and Forchetti tackling Lalas in the box. That was incredible. How did the ref miss everything?
    On the tackle the ref was ridiculously out of position. He had his back to the play because was following the ball towards the corner (where the Linesman pretty much has everything covered) instead of being on the opposite side of the penalty area from where the linesman is. As a result, all sorts of stuff went on behind him that he should've been in a position to see.

Notice how, for the rest of the match, he corrected his mistake.

Good game. Hartmann did quite a bit to keep it interesting for neutrals the full 90 minutes.

15. I was shocked when I saw the attendance. I figured in this weather they would be lucky to get 10k. For anyone who was at the game today, is there any way this number is even close to legit? It looked empty on TV?

16. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I know i was not there, nor did i start watching until the second half, but for those who were at GS-perhaps before it started to REALLY pour- did it look like that many showed up?

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Not during the run of play, but there was plenty of noise (though those horns sounded like they could've been trucks in a traffic jam on any nearby highway). Still the few times the camara pulled back, it looked pretty tight in the seats under the overhang. I could believe it.

18. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

That's the biggest load of BS I've ever heard.

At least 60,000 were there under the mezzanine to avoid the rain.

(hey, if Metro can exaggerate, why can't I?)

19. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    There was a surprising crowd there. It was some kind of youth soccer night. If it was a nice night, it would have been a huge turnout, considering there couldn't have been too much walkup.

Shoulda been 4-0. The Metros pressured well, lots of pretty one touch. Finishing left a lot to be desired. Of course, Hartman was pretty on.

One question: why do they give Jones so much room? I think he got a cross off on 90% of his runs.

Good game. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

20. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    behold the power & reach of BigSoccer

at one point in the 2nd half, Stone referred to an ABMOD foul as, "nibbling on his ankles." Ty corrected him and said, "biting."

they already stole Run-DMB, are they going to start saying, "Heydude" too?

21. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there could have been a card or two for the dive. his hands fluttered more than Joan River's

22. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did look really bad. He was slow and didn't pass the ball when he should have. He should have a pass though, as he onlyhad two days of practice

23. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Most of the wimps spent the game under the upper level... There were many more people there then you would have expected. I wouldn't say 22k.

I saw a guy outside, Korean, who was looking to dump tix, he had bought 500 and has a couple of hundred left.

I'm sure that was a combo of bad weather and no Bo.

So I'm guessing that was ticket sales not attendance

24. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They always report tickets distributed and not actual attendance. Maybe 8,000 - 10,000 were there.

Thanks to the woman outside who sold us seats in 211 for $15 while we were walking to the box office. Other than the last 15 minutes when they lost some of their defensive composure, this was as good as Metro have looked in a month. Strong team effort, especially in the defense. They just shut LA down in the middle third. Could have been 3-0 if not for Hartman.

Moreno has been out for six weeks, so stop complaining. I would have preferred to see him come in for Magee instead of Woly (nothing about Mike's performance; I just think that Woly is better at chewing up time late), but he could have pissed on the field for 15 minutes for all I care. Just get him some more time and he'll be fine.

25. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    He was awful. He stunk. I dont want to see him. I want to see Magee and Gavin.