MetroStars @ Dallas 9/25 8:30pm [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by sprite19, Sep 23, 2004.

1. sprite19

sprite19 New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Somewhat good news:
    REFEREE: Terry Vaughn. SAR (bench): Chris Strickland; JAR (opposite): Steven Taylor; 4th: Hilario Grajeda
    MLS Career: 43 games; FC/gm: 31.3; Y/gm: 3.8; R: 13; pens: 12
    Games involving Burn: P7 W0 L5 T2 ; FC/gm: 25.7; Y/gm: 2.6; R: 2; pens: 5
    Games involving MetroStars: P7 W3 L1 T3 ; FC/gm: 30.1; Y/gm: 4.6; R: 2; pens: 4

News that's not so good:
    YELLOW PERIL: DAL: Chris Gbandi (additional 10 CP); Clarence Goodson (10 CP in 2 gms); Milton Reyes (10 CP in 2 gms); Simo Valakari (additional 10 CP) ... MET: Amado Guevara (18 CP); Jeff Parke (19 CP)

We are thisclose to clinching a playoff spot, let's go boys! :)

2. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Preview from the boys at the home office

3. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The onlt way you could justify this is if all of the games were last season. He makes Kevin Stott look like a judge at The Hague.

4. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    In addition to the ref, more good news:

Eric Quill and Ronnie O'Brien are likely to miss the match:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/soccer/stories/092404dnspoburnshort.2dfc8.html

The bad news? :eek:

Metros are 0-2 vs Dallas this year and haven't scored against them.

The Metros are playing for a playoff position, while the Burn are playing for a playoff spot, so look for Dallas to come out swinging. Also, Metros are only 3-7-3 on the road.

Will be interesting to see if Ziadie can hold the fort until Bonseu comes back.

5. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O'Brien being out is a plus for us.

6. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing against Dallas is going to be tough since we haven't done it this year. Since O' Brien is out we have to win. Clark will be back but should we put him back in the midfield?

7. Brejrin

Brejrin New Member

Jun 23, 2004
    T&T
    glenn hattrick
    i can fore-see it

8. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd watch out for Eddie Johnson....not because i do not trust our own offense, but because our D has already given me plenty of cause for concern....

9. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    If you look at Johnson's two goals last week, one was a gift from Hartmann that he booted right at EJ, and the second was a rebound shot into an open net. Give him credit for scoring them, but they were two defensive errors, one a brutal howler by Hartmann. Yes, he is dangerous, but he's not Theirry Henry.

After the 5-5 game at SJ, we tied 1-1. After the 6-2 game, we got a shutout in a 2-0 win. I think we can bounce back from giving up 4 goals again, and I expect a good defensive effort, and a win.

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    GOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL

Zadie to Woly !!!!!

His 9th goal of the year.

11. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glen in stoppage time!!!!

2-0 to the good guys

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Metros are officially in the playoffs...... Millenium Stadium here we come!

13. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a friggin goal by Glen. Jolley did everything short of ripping his jersey off, yet Glen still gets by and nets it. Great goal and great effort.

14. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    Steve Jolley all over the highlights tonight.

I know, we still love him.

15. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Jolley showed all the reasons we traded him. Wow, was that sad to watch.

We also need to send Colin Clarke a thank you card for that Milton Reyes-sized hole at left back. Yes, the guy is dangerous going forward, but defensively he's nowhere near MLS quality and the Burn paid for that tonight.

Rico Clark was MotM, by the way. Nice to see him recovering his form.

16. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Played hard for 90 minutes. Real hard. Very nice too see.. Still a bit leaky in the back though.

17. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT BABY!

What a big win. A big freaken win for the Metro. Clinch a playoff spot & say goodbye to the Coton Bowl in true fashion. Big play by Ziadie to keep the ball from going over the end line and finding Wolyniec. What a unbelievable individual effort by Cornell Glen in stoppage time to get himself away from Jolley. He wouldn't allow Jolley to foul him or take him down from behind and caps the night off with a fantastic goal.

Man oh man. Let's enjoy this win and get a full crowd over to the Meadowlands for DC and kick their butts as well.

18. Sir Ek

Sir Ek Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Great overall effort by the Metros this evening. There were a couple of mistakes made, but we didn't pay for them. Quite an interesting starting line-up to say the least. Was it a 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1? That could be debated. Some thoughts:
    • The back line played hard - Leitch & Parke were solid and Pope played at a level he hasn't played at all year for us. Zaidie had a good game as well.
    • Great to see Gilberto back and playing all out with no fear. We definitely haven't had that attitude for a long time and it seemed infectious.
    • Amado had a good game, as well as Gaven and Magee. Overall I think the Metro's could've tried to posses the ball a little better, but I'm still satisfied with thier performance.
    • Woly showed why people on here say he sub and not start: Goal 1 - great one touch re-direction. Break-away chance - gets picked off "clean" by Reyes because he slows down once he gets to the box seemingly unsure of what he wants to do. ("Clean" cuz I'll get to that later.) Argue heart and hustle all you want, and I agree, but his creative skills suck. He's great at putting away rebounds and re-directing crosses, but ask him to take more than a touch or two to score, and he'll fail at it more often than not.
    • Glen definitely scored a highlight goal for tenacity and never-say-die effort. Then showed why he gets the minutes at forward by tucking the ball in the back of the net.
    • As for Vaughn, the ref - he had a good first half. I can't complain about the calls he was making. They seemed fair and consistent. The second half, especially the last 15 minutes or so, I really have to wonder if he suffered heat exaustion. First he calls a foul on Gaven for a seemingly fair shoulder charge on Reyes, then doesn't call one on Reyes for doing the same to Woly in the box? Please make up your mind if it is or isn't a foul and call it that way all game. All I ask for is consistency in the ref'ing - at least that way I (and the players) know what to expect all game.
    • Not for nothing, and he's still one of my faves for what he gave to the team, but Jolley shoulda gotten a card or two for all his pulling and grabbing. :)
    • It was great to hear Bob yelling at the ref: "You'll buy anything!" :D
    OK - flame away... ;)

19. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked more like a very fluid 4-2-3-1.

20. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    If anyone heard on the post match show. Ryan Nelson was red carded in Columbus and Alecko Eskandarian got a Yellow that puts him over the Caution points accumulation limit. These two will be suspended for the match on October 2nd here at the swamp.

this should be a good one Next week.

21. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    MOTM was the entire defense.

While Woly's and Glenn's goals were nice, they don't mean squat if the Metros leaky defense plays the way it did last week or for many of the games this season. While Dallas had some early chances, the Metros played good "team" defense not allowing the big shot.

This exact line-up (assuming Bonseu isn't ready for the playoffs) probably gives the Metros the best chance at winning. Even by only playing 45 minutes, you can see how much active someone like Flores is than Vaca (who is supposed to be back "soon").

Hate to be a party-pooper, but I'm not exactly giddy over the Metros making the playoffs. Did anyone else expect anything otherwise? Especially considering 8 of the 10 teams make it in MLS.

22. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    You just have to be Mr. Killjoy tonight didn't ya. You had to do it. A good feeling win and you had to make that addition on your post. Thanks alot Metro Fever.

But in all honesty you are right, but guess what I am happy they clinched a playoff birth. When the league goes from 10 to 12 next year it will be much better. It is what it is. Sadly enough this league has to make their baby steps. They have taken giant steps between 1998 thru 2002 and it costed the league two Floridan clubs. But once Chivas USA & SLC are in the picture next season it will be alot better.

SO BE HAPPY FOKLS! IGNORE THE KILLJOY AND CELEBRATE THIS WIN! :D

23. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Big win. I think the 4-2-3-1 suits this team much better. The question remains. Who is the forward up top?

I don't know. I'm curious to see the responses...

24. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

25. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Awsome win!!! Can't wait for next week. You shouldn't disparage Metrofever for those comments though, he is right and clubs folding in Florida have nothing to do with the playoff format.