Metrostars after Portugal's Xavier

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by PSsoccer123, Jul 12, 2005.

1. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
  2. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That guy was awful with Hannover 96, and really shouldn't be mentioned in the same post as Djorkaeff. Of course as a Revs fan, I hope you sign him to the league max. ;)

3. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Will the real Xavier please stand up:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    He was horrible with H96, as stated, and this was only last year. I hope we never get close. I'd rather not sweat that we sign him.

5. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he's not a threat to Mini-Bob so I predict he is signed , sealed and delivered within 2 weeks. Bye-bye Barrett.

6. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Do you need to mention Michael Bradley in every thread?

7. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmm...let's see...a veteran at the international level, whos played on some of the biggest clubs in europe....or more mistakes by parke/regan + agoos' old legs....i dont see how we can pass this up, even if he had a 'terrible' season at hannover or roma or wherever...its not like mls is serie A by any stretch of the imagination. and as far as cap room...read up on the ny times article...metros are in the middle of the pack when it comes to cap (6th in the league) ...so they certainly have money to spend. it's not like we need to horde (sp?) money to buy beckham or anything.

then again, this is just 'preliminary' talks...which basically means we're one-half percent more likely to get xavier than, oh i dont know, maldini (also mentioned on mf)

8. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    I dont see how this guy is an improvement over anyone. Horrible rep. This is how fast can one man fall down the ladder from the Bundesliga to Portugal to MLS to what. Leave us the way we are. We will be fine.

9. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Didn't he also have PL comeback attempt that failed miserably? Or was it a 1st Division team?

I'd take a pass.

10. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Well, I'd still take Maldini....

11. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Can't wait for Lalas to boast that he'll be the MLS's Dennis Rodman!

12. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you're going to spend the money, you have to satisfy one of these criteria:

1. someone who can compete at high level
    2. someone who will at least create a buzz at the gate (even if their skill level is diminished)

Abel Xavier fits neither of these criteria. he can't compete at a high level anymore (his fall is basically akin to Tony Sanneh's ... although AX obviously began his fall from higher starting point). and he's not a big enough name to make a difference at the gate.

so i say ... save the money, leave AX in europe .....

13. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I would much prefer that we pursued the Adu trade and stopped becoming a dumping ground for end-of-career foreigners who only care about a paycheck (Youri notwithstanding, the majority of times we have done this have crashed and burned: Lothar, anyone?.) Let's stick to youth. Can you imagine what our team would be like in two years with Ibrahim, Gaven, Ward, Bradley and Adu in the starting lineup in their prime with three years experience? We would just rip through everyone in the table.

14. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Not a prob. Got my vote.

15. goalscorer111

goalscorer111 New Member

Jan 23, 2004
  16. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Please enlighten me to all the other end of career foreigners we have signed.

Stop the Adu worship. If you think Adu is going to be that great, what makes you think DC is going to give him up, with what the Metros have to offer?

17. Olympia

Olympia New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    NY
    He was horrible when he landed in Hannover96 during the time Mathis was there, he played few games and the only impact from him was mistakes after mistakes, Hannover fans were very disappointed at him. German press was not kind to him, either. If I remember correctly, he was benched very quickly shortly after his arrival.

If he comes to Metro, it is really, really bad news :(

18. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    A disastrous move.

19. Mathis is a God

Mathis is a God New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    Donovan didnt succeed overseas, now he is the best player in the league. The MLS is a big difference from playing for Hannover96. If he once had the ability to even play for a highly regarded team, then he must have some value in the MLS.

20. DJNaco

DJNaco New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    North Florida
    Wow, we seem to have really raised our standards here. Here's a big physical defender (something this side sorely needs) who's 32 years old (not exactly retirement age), and has experience playing at the top levels in Europe in recent years. If the price is right, why wouldn't we want to take a chance on him?

People who think that because Abel Xavier couldn't cut it in the Bundesliga then he's not welcome at Metro need to get their heads out of the sand. We're no SuperClub yet. (Besides, the league's highest-paid and arguably best player is a Bundesliga reject.)

21. ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan New Member

Jan 20, 1999
    SHAPE, Belgium

Good point. The reality is that the metros weakest part is their defense. I've never seen this guy play, but I just don't know who can come in an play for us at defense and be someone who would bring people into the stands. Hopefully when Meola gets into the starting line-up the defense can improve and we can hold onto leads or avoid stupid goals.

The thing that will keep bringing back people to the stands is when the Metros continue to win and continue that way. Don't win a a few games here and there and then crash. Champions win consistently and are always the team to beat.

22. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This is a BAD move. This is a move put together because the Metros have to entertain according to Alexi.

Now the big question is.....who looked the more funkier, Xavi or Alexi?

23. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    "What about me? I want to wear my shorts again!"

[​IMG]

24. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    is it possible that lalas is looking to fill more seats with a high-profile name from portugal that could get some notice from ironbound fans?

25. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest I don't think he would be much of a boost from the large Portugal population here...if thats an angle the FO was considering....not that they would ever ethinicly pan.